[All] [Generic] Heads-up! Castrol Magnatec sale in Tescos

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RST

[All] [Generic] Heads-up! Castrol Magnatec sale in Tescos

Post by RST »

I put this in Mechanical -for all those with services coming up...

I'm not getting into an oil debate but I wandered past the car section in Tescos Elgin tonight and they have 4L of 10w40 Magnatec on sale for £17'odd quid which is a good £7'ish saving on their 4 L tubs. I'm assuming it's a store wide promo.

They had similar deals on other grades (5w-30?) I think -I never paid much attention to those as I don't need them.

Just thought it was worth a shout if like me you change your oil that often a few quid off is all good. I wouldn't normally buy oil from the supermarket but I'm sure it cost me £26 for the same tub from the factors last service. Picked up a tub for my next oil change.
S A Watt

Re: [All] [Generic] Heads-up! Castrol Magnatec sale in Tescos

Post by S A Watt »

Hi Richard

i already bought that last week.

Cracking buy

Its £15 odd for 10/40
RST

Post by RST »

...sorry, my receipt is still somewhere hidden in the shopping bags from getting in tonight. I couldn't remember the exact price so it's even better then! Thanks for the correction Shane. £15 for 4l is an absolute steal for a half decent oil!!!
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I put that in my rev 2 tbo...after a week I noticed oil trickles from the dump valve and slight seepage working it's way through the throttle body on to the rocket box .. drained it and went back to mobil with no issues at all now, turbo pulls like a train and no seepage....I'm specifically on about the cheap deal from Tesco's.
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Well got to say Castrol Mag has always been good for me.

I run it in the Mk1 which has over 120,000 miles and never uses a drop. No leaks or problems.

Mk3 runs on it again no problem

So def putting it in the Mk2 i just purchased

Not sure what you mean by cheap tesco deals Castrol is castrol
no
Anyway good from me folks

Shane
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Maybe it has something to do with my car being a turbo and above standard power levels...all I'm saying is that it went very thin very quickly...and I too have used Magnatec in other non turbocharged cars that I've had 'cos it's a great brand name and never had an issue with it, indeed I hope that it works for you guys...and that is a fantastic price for 4 ltrs of good oil. It would be remiss of me to not chip in with my bad experience wouldn't it...this is an internet based club where likeminded enthusiasts can talk about their cars, organise meets and discuss events and modifications with a bias towards what is available in the UK.
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Everyone needs to have an opinion mate and we would not have the forum if we were all the same :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

Maybe it has something to do with my car being a turbo

...mate I ran it in my gen 6 GT4 and never had any probs. I use it in my Aristo now which should be somewhere around 320-330bhp. And my gen 4 3GSE is fine on it at 220bhp.

I haven't experienced it go thin quickly thogh personally I change mine 2-3 times a year so it's not an issue at the price it is :thumleft: Spent a couple of years essentially as a hydraulics tech so I would NOT use or recommend cheap fluids. There's me going into an oil argument I guess!
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

lol...no argument at all man...and as I said I'm glad it's fine for you guys...and I wish it was for me...cos it's cheap as chips...just thought it was worth mentioning...If I came across as a smart ar$e or knowitall, that was deffo not my intention in any way...I'm just not the guy to try and pee on anyones flame at all...but it gave me the right ar$e when it went so thin after a week or so...maybe what I bought was 5-40 and in a 10-40 bottle, don't know...it wasn't burnt, still clear like honey...but watery thin...really hope that it's not the first signs of the oil seal in me blower on it's last legs...seems more than likely now...sorry guys....forum biff again.

Return to “Mechanical”