Hi, Im new (ish)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Diamond_Bolt

Hi, Im new (ish)

Post by Diamond_Bolt »

Hi all

I am new to this forum but have owned my MR2 mk1 since december. Im currently working on it and will show pictures when I get home later today of my work so far.

Its an mr2 mk1 1988 jap import im not sure if its a mk1a or b as I have parts of mk1a (side vent, parts of interior) but everything else is mk1b.

Im just after a quick question being that my mate has offered me a GReddy blue E-managment for cheap and all i need to get is a harness for the 4age but was wondering what this actually does and if its worth it.

Thanks

Rick
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Hi, Im new (ish)

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Hiya Rick,

I'm not too sure on the functions of the E-manage but I'm sure some one will be along who does. I have a feeling they're quite widely used in the AE86 world.

How're the starter motor issues?

Oh and welcome to IMOC. :mrgreen:

Chris

Edit: Quick search and here you go: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120286
Diamond_Bolt

Post by Diamond_Bolt »

Thanks.

The starter motors getting replaced next week along with a braided clutch line and braided brake lines.

The starter motor ended up melting my cylinder head to body work earth wire so it had to be done before the car caught fire lol :?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

#-o We'll I suppose it could have been worse. My first Mk1 managed to melt down most of it's engine and boot wiring loom due to a short circuit somewhere. :pale: :lol:
Diamond_Bolt

Post by Diamond_Bolt »

:shock: maybe i had a great escape then. as that wire did give alot of puff out lol. well its got new earths on the bodywork and battery terminal and I mite try and put the starter on myself ( just got the news that the new one has arrived) if its an easy enough job.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Aye it's relatively straight forward.

BTW I find it easier to connect up the wires to the starter when it's sat in the hollow of the exhaust manifold before you fit it onto the gearbox.
Diamond_Bolt

Post by Diamond_Bolt »

right i'll give it a go this weekend and let you know if all goes well.

thanks mate
cogboy

Post by cogboy »

The starter's easy peasey provided you're working from under the car. It's only held on by two bolts, which go through from the gearbox side of the engine. Think they're 14mm. Top one accessible with an ordinary socket, but a deep socket is best for getting at the bottom bolt as the bracketry which holds the clutch slave cylinder is kind of in the way. As Limey says, it's best to attach the electrical connections while the starter is off the engine.
vashy

Post by vashy »

Diamond_Bolt wrote:Im just after a quick question being that my mate has offered me a GReddy blue E-managment for cheap and all i need to get is a harness for the 4age but was wondering what this actually does and if its worth it.

It's a piggyback ECU. You can connect it to a laptop and make adjustments to the fuelling and ignition timing from the stock ECU's map. It's used for tuning, especially useful if you have made other changes to the engine and need to change for example the fuelling, or even remap it.

However, as you might have sussed from the thread Limeymk1 posted, getting it to work with the 4AGE may be tricky! So, go for it, but do get or make a harness, so you don't have to modify your stock loom, just in case it doesn't work. But someone needs to try; if you or no one else does, I plan to try myself, as soon as I can find a really cheap one!
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
Diamond_Bolt

Post by Diamond_Bolt »

First of all i apologise for no pictures I'll try and get some on in a a couple of hours.

As for the GReddy Im ganna soldier it and just see if I can get it to work and let all know what sort of results I get. It will be at the end of this month though.
Diamond_Bolt

Post by Diamond_Bolt »

Sorry I cant post any pictures it tells me that I have to post more before I can do so :S
Diamond_Bolt

Post by Diamond_Bolt »

Hi me again.

Sorry just a little confused with my car atm.

Im not sure if its a mk1 a or b. My car has parts from both.

The body of it is mk1b, being front spliter, bumpers, wheels, side skirts etc. apart from the vent being a mk1a split vent. The engine had redletters and has the airfilter going into the boot so im pretty sure that that is a mk1b engine, but the aerial is also on the roof and not the boot.

To the interior I have two tone seats and a mk1a steering wheel and radio surround but have the mk1b centre console with the ashtray and a glove box lock and also two coat hangers and speakers.

its a 1988 F reg japanese import with engine code 4-agelu.

any one know why Ive most likely got bits and bobs from both cars ?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

If it's a 1988 car it's a MK1b.

The thing is these cars are quite old now and it could well be that someone has put MK1a bits on. Why they'd do that is hard to say. Some prefer the aesthetics of the MK1a (I certainly do for example).

I guess that'd be the most likely explanation. It's unlikely to have come from the factory like that.[/list]
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Diamond_Bolt

Post by Diamond_Bolt »

Thanks Lauren

Only 1 question though, I read that some parts are not able to go into the mk1b like the radio surround, will i be able to get a mk1b radio surround cause I really want to get a big radio from another toyota most likely the celica cd player made by sony
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

I dont think the 1b air vent fits on the 1a shell either (or vice versa) without serious modification, becasue the bolts are in the wrong place. :-k

What year is on the vin plate?

If its an import, it could be an 1986 crossover model, but got an age related plate when it landed.
jimi

Post by jimi »

PM me the VIN number and I can tell you the month/year it was built.
Diamond_Bolt

Post by Diamond_Bolt »

PM :), I have a slight feeling it is a crossover then cause the plate on the car looks new compared to all the japanese I-39 stickers and plates etc
MartG

Post by MartG »

cartledge_uk wrote:I dont think the 1b air vent fits on the 1a shell either (or vice versa) without serious modification, becasue the bolts are in the wrong place. :-k

Yes the 2 screws that hold the vent on are in the wrong place, but if you also swap over the bracket underneath ( 4 screws ) then it fits no problem
Diamond_Bolt

Post by Diamond_Bolt »

Right I had my dad take the car to the garage to put the starter motor which I paid my dads boss for only for them to take it off and then get a phone call from my dad to say that I have bought the incorrect starter motor. Now i've looked and I have definatelly bought the correct one it even has the I-39 sticker thing on it for AW11 but apparently the one on my car is smaller and completly different he has said.

Now if i end up putting this one that I have bought myself and my dads boss said he couldnt do it im ganna blow my top off as he still took the money to take the one on the car off and put the same one back on.

any one have any clues why this cud be the case ?
Diamond_Bolt

Post by Diamond_Bolt »

right i've had a look underneath the car and the starter motor on it is not the same as the one ive bought but the one ive bought is definately the correct starter motor for this car. Could this just be an incorrect starter motor on it ?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”