[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 3 Starting/Idle Problems

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ej2_sir

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 3 Starting/Idle Problems

Post by ej2_sir »

Hope someone can help here. My Rev 3 turbo has been running absolutley fine until I left it for 2 weeks without starting. It always starts on the key and idle is approx 1600 and then drops to 1k as engine warms. Anyway went to start yesterday and it would not turnover on the key. If I revved it it would fire but then try to cut out. If I keep my foot on the gas a little it will run but at about 400rpm. As it warms it will rise to about 1000rpm. Took it for a drive and all seemed ok but it kept trying to cut out at junctions. When I switched it off it would not start on its own again. Not had much time to look at it but things I checked so far-
*Battery Charged.
*All service items including coil have less than 6k on them
*Checked Idle Air resistance, in spec of bgb although made no difference to revs when unplugged?
Last edited by ej2_sir on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 3 Starting/Idle Problems

Post by djpkins »

Leaving it unstarted...if it's really cold and damp...is a coil/battery killer. That coil is in a fkn stupid place for water ingress...does it have a lot of whitish colouring coming through the resin near the king lead connection?
ej2_sir

Post by ej2_sir »

Coil looks fine. Replaced it about 3k miles ago. When the coil went faulty last time I started to get random misfires and then It would not start at all. There is no misfires at all, just struggling to fire/idle. Im thinking it may be the idle air has blocked open/closed or maybe knackered TPS? Only other thought is perhaps heater O2 Sensor? Not showing any CEL codes either :cry:
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

It's more than likely the simple thing rather than a shonky TPS etc...do you have an aftermarket DP? could the wastegate have gone a wee bit rusty and snagged open a tad?...if it was fine before and has only stood still moisture may have built up and gotten trapped somwhere...I had an Alfasud...and no $hit, I had to put a fan heater under the bonnet for 30 mins every morning before it would fire and run...when it was cold and damp obviously...WD-40 is your friend...designed to Displace Water.
ej2_sir

Post by ej2_sir »

Yeah magical stuff wd40 but I already cracked all connectors and Dizzy cap to check for moisture. No Joy. Does have aftermarket DP but when driving boosted ok... Hate electrical issues!
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

On our spluttering thread...the fuel injector pack has been suggested as another poss problem..i'm trying to get the testing guide as we speak...follow it and hopefully we'll get there in the end.
ej2_sir

Post by ej2_sir »

Thanks! Really has been a bad winter this year! First time the car has let me down in 3 years!

Return to “Mechanical”