[Mk2] [Turbo] Japspeed exhaust plus bung fitting and DB readings

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rob

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Japspeed exhaust plus bung fitting and DB readings

Post by Rob »

^ I know mate - shame really as it could be important. Will have a dig around on the interweb......
spikkey

Bungs

Post by spikkey »

Fitted these bungs to my Japspeed last week and very pleased with the result.
Slighty louder than stock but perfect for the long runs.
:clap:
craig

Post by craig »

Bit of a thread bump :mrgreen:

I have a Japspeed exhaust and after a solution to the loudness of it and stumbled across this thread.

Anyone else fitted these bungs lately? Seriously considering it. A lot cheaper than buying a quieter exhaust!
Any sound clips would be great!

Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Give me some time and I will see what I can do,unless any one else can do it quicker :D
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
craig

Post by craig »

Phill P wrote:Give me some time and I will see what I can do,unless any one else can do it quicker :D

Cheers fella! I have a decat on mine, how much different to standard should it be with these bungs fitted?

Cheers :thumleft:
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Not sure,mine still has the cat but you will get an idea of difference

Paul :thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
craig

Post by craig »

Measured tail pipe and it's just under 4.5" (external diameter) Are the bungs supplied 4.5" diameter minus 3mm? (subtracting 2 wall thickness either side of 1.5mm)

Cheers :thumleft:
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Yes you are correct,the bungs are 4.5 inch and I had to hack the living daylights out of them to get them to fit in the end,looks ok once fitted but if I was to do it again I would approach a metal work place and see if they could make a better set of bungs that fit further up the tailpipes.
craig

Post by craig »

Thanks for your help fella :thumleft: :thumleft:
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Didn't get to film exhaust today but will do in the week with my new super clever phone,....thats if I can work the thing out lol

P :thumleft:
Rob

Post by Rob »

I ended up with a pair of Nurspec bungs, but they are about 1mm too thick to fit inside the exhaust tips - very annoying indeed.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

just had a quick thort while scanning this thread,

If the bungs are 1mm to wide you could try leaving the bungs in the freezer for a good long while, then take the car for a really good run get the tips really hot so they exspand, then try poping the bungs in then, the exspansion and contraction of the metals maybe enough to get them in, but getting them out may be a hole other story tho :lol:
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
Rob

Post by Rob »

GTS GAV wrote:just had a quick thort while scanning this thread,

If the bungs are 1mm to wide you could try leaving the bungs in the freezer for a good long while, then take the car for a really good run get the tips really hot so they exspand, then try poping the bungs in then, the exspansion and contraction of the metals maybe enough to get them in, but getting them out may be a hole other story tho :lol:

I had exactly the same thought, but I don't want to get them stuck and have to put the car in the freezer :lol:
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Rob wrote:
GTS GAV wrote:just had a quick thort while scanning this thread,

I had exactly the same thought, but I don't want to get them stuck and have to put the car in the freezer :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

It would probably work,.....however when the bungs were made the flange lip of the bung is flat,ie it curves out slightly because they are pressed out of stainless and are cheaply made (ebay ones anyway).

I ground alot of this lip away but it was never going to be enough.

Problem 2 is that the Japspeed tailpipe is slash cut and as such the top part of the bung needs to go in someway compared to the bottom part.

Would have loved to have fitted them further so it didn't look like it had bungs in but this ws never going to happen.

Will put vids up later which will show how the bungs fit and sound.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I agree with all you say. Also, because the tips suddenly reduce in size not far from the exit there isn't much chance of hiding them deeper.

I'm also struggling to accept that I will have a hole visible!
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Ok done the vid,first time I've uploaded to you tube :oops:

Anyway its here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r3NpmTZxi0

The cough at the end is my poor daughter getting a lungfull of 99 ron :eye:

terryh

Post by terryh »

Thanks for the effort incl the video ..... TBH I can't hear much difference :-( ... pity as i have the same problem
Nails

Post by Nails »

loudandproud205 wrote:interesting read, yours didnt seem as loud as i expected tbh

Its because the CATs still in. Makes a big difference. I drove mine back from Bournemouth to mine (near sunderland/durham) with one of those exhausts and cat in. Sat at 70/80/60 all fine not that intrusive. Took the cat out and was much louder. Went to york way to pick ours lasses civic up and it was doing my head in and drowning out the radio etc.

Legalis R fixed that though. Too quiet now though lol.
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

I actually bought Pauls car December last year, the bungs do make a big difference. It's still loud with them in but a motorway run with them out is not nice.

Return to “Modifications”