Sunroof drain pipes & door hinge query

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiger Tim

Sunroof drain pipes & door hinge query

Post by Tiger Tim »

Hi All,

I've just taken off the driver's side wing & door on my MK1A to sort some rust at the bottom of the A-pillar. Delighted to see that the outer skin was rotten but after grinding off the rusty bits, the inner skin is rock solid.

Just looking at the sunroof drain tube, where does it exit or where is it meant to exit. I can see it in the pillar but no sign of it coming out. Does it drain into the sill?.

Also have a good bit of play on the top door hinge but the bottom one is perfect. This set me wondering if the top & bottom hinges are the same. Just thinking about this at work this morning so haven't had time to look. I have a few spare doors so if I had a good bottom hinge on one of those, I could swap it over. Anyone know if they are the same.

Tim
Last edited by Tiger Tim on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartG

Re: Sunroof drain pipes & door hinge query

Post by MartG »

The drain exits into the sill - if you look at the bottom of the sill you should see a couple of holes with plastic grommets in them with holes in the middle and a cross shaped plastic bit in the hole to stop dirt entering
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

Thanks, MartG

I saw those grommets. Not a brilliant Toyota idea draining into the sill. If I spray the inside of the sitt with Waxoyl, it will probably block them or at least stop the water leaving even it I clear them after.

T
MartG

Post by MartG »

You could try extending the drain tubes and feed them through the sill holes - probably a bit fiddly to do but could be worth it in terms of reducing corrosion :-k
coanda

Post by coanda »

I also have some play in my top drivers door hinge (the door/hinge cracks when you open it) so I would be interested in seeing if there is anything that can be done about them. Can you get new bushes?
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

Must talk to a mechanic friend over the weekend. I know he had a bodge/fix 20 years ago with Corolla Doors. He used to cut the pin in half with a hacksaw, remove the pin & insert something larger to replace the pin. Can't remember what he used to use - think it looked liked those express anchors used in construction. Looks like a pipe with a slot cut down one side as far as I remember. Will call over to him tomorrow.

Tim
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

The pipe with a slot cut into it is called a roll pin. You knock it into a hole that is a wee bit smaller than the pin so that the slot close a little and then knock a smaller roll pin down the middle of the first one the ensure a really tight fit.
I think alot of makers use or used this method. Peugeot definitly did.

Bod
coanda

Post by coanda »

I've been and had a closer look - it appears that the checkstrap is not connected to the door. I also have play in the hinges so maybe roll pins are the way forward.
010on1986

Post by 010on1986 »

Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

My mechanic friend told me he used to use a clevis pin to repair the hinge. I thought they would fall out but he says he never had any problem using them.

Tim

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”