Getting bored....

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

Getting bored....

Post by craig »

Anybody else bored of their MR2?

Just wondering why I pay to insure and tax it when it comes out on dry days only.

After my pug 306 dying and getting scrapped, I'm really wondering whether or not to just sell up and buy a newer, more normal car that I can drive any time and park it up in a car park without a second thought.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Been looking at Pug 206 GTi 180's and Renault clio 182's circa 2004 models.
ryan

Re: Getting bored....

Post by ryan »

Difficult choice to make. If you do buy a newer 'normal' car, then you will have to live with less power/exclusivity. However, its one less car to tax/insure even if running costs (repairs/fuel) would be higher using a 'hot hatch' as your daily runner. With 99ron up over 130p/litre and half the mpg of a decent Golf 170tdi, it does make you think :?
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

im the same mate, not enjoying it anymore. roads too busy, petrol too expensive. etc, etc
think id be more inclined to go for a nice cheap diesel car though. could'nt be doing with another gas guzzler like a 206 gti and nowhere near as quick as the tubby.
i'd be happy i think with a 150 bhp turbo diesel. just plodding along.. lol
the only trouble is.. i wouldnt get anywhere near what i wanted for my tubby..lol
craig

Post by craig »

ryan wrote:Difficult choice to make. If you do buy a newer 'normal' car, then you will have to live with less power/exclusivity. However, its one less car to tax/insure even if running costs (repairs/fuel) would be higher using a 'hot hatch' as your daily runner. With 99ron up over 130p/litre and half the mpg of a decent Golf 170tdi, it does make you think :?

True mate, it really does make you think! I do enjoy taking the MR2 out don't get me wrong, but the running costs far outweigh the fun factor :(
craig

Post by craig »

carlos9999 wrote:im the same mate, not enjoying it anymore. roads too busy, petrol too expensive. etc, etc
think id be more inclined to go for a nice cheap diesel car though. could'nt be doing with another gas guzzler like a 206 gti and nowhere near as quick as the tubby.
i'd be happy i think with a 150 bhp turbo diesel. just plodding along.. lol
the only trouble is.. i wouldnt get anywhere near what i wanted for my tubby..lol

That's the other factor. What I'd get for my car if sold. Nowhere near what I'd want for it.
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

yeh its crazy mate... i,d like something around 4k for mine, but being realistic i aint gonna get that. probably more like 2k.. lol
especially in this economic climate, think i,d rather see it rot than sell it for that. ](*,)
craig

Post by craig »

carlos9999 wrote:yeh its crazy mate... i,d like something around 4k for mine, but being realistic i aint gonna get that. probably more like 2k.. lol
especially in this economic climate, think i,d rather see it rot than sell it for that. ](*,)

My thoughts exactly matey. :(
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

I feel ya pinky, but I used mine daily (made the commute fun! Lol) but I was always after "something else". And yeah, prices are sad when you come to sell.
It's a hard call, but as you well know, you'll miss it if you sell it, I already do! :cry:
I've got the IS200 now as daily smoke, but I want something fun I can track & weekend thrash. Considering an N/A but I still want that bit of a change. Not much (on paper) matches over 170bhp, RWD, under a grand, classic insurance etc. They just "make sense"!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
craig

Post by craig »

Steve Horrocks wrote:I feel ya pinky, but I used mine daily (made the commute fun! Lol) but I was always after "something else". And yeah, prices are sad when you come to sell.
It's a hard call, but as you well know, you'll miss it if you sell it, I already do! :cry:
I've got the IS200 now as daily smoke, but I want something fun I can track & weekend thrash. Considering an N/A but I still want that bit of a change. Not much (on paper) matches over 170bhp, RWD, under a grand, classic insurance etc. They just "make sense"!

Spot on post Steve. This is my 3rd MR2 Turbo. Sold the first one to make way for a Rev 2 GTS where I gained the name "pinky" as it was sunbleached red :mrgreen: Sold that one to get a normal car, got bored and bought a Corsa sport. Got bored of that bought an MR2 Turbo again. If I did get a 206 or whatever, I'd probably just get bored and buy somat else. Grass is always greener and all that...
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

Just my thoughts...... some will not agree which is understandable.

I've decided that running mine everyday was too expensive and more than likely make me loose my license. (already have 6 points)

All i do now is use it for track days from march to october. I dont pay any insurance, tax, £££'s on petrol as its only getting used now and again. You never get bored then as you don't get used to the power like you do using it as a daily driver.

I know track days aren't cheap when you factor in trailer hire, etc but the best thing is you can leave it in the garage for a month or two while you get a bit more cash together.

Insurance for me was around £700 a year plus £220 tax so its nearing on a grand. For that you could do about 5 track days. Plus you are getting a lot more out of your car than simply driving it to the shops and back.
ancient mariner

Post by ancient mariner »

allways a problem with me at this time of the year :roll:
car doesn't get used very often,expensive ornament :lol:
deceide to get a more practical car.
decent weather appears,show season starts,runout's to peak district and snowdonia arn't quite the same without the mr2.
buy another,start to spend daft money again :oops:
tis a vicious circle,and after 5 attempts to give up the mr2,
i give up ](*,)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I do between 300-400 miles a week in my mk1. Fuel is getting the better of me at the moment :(

Im looking at buying a pug 406, got a 14 gallon tank i think doing around 60mpg can pick them up for under £1000. Im looking at buying one with dents and scratches. go for peanuts.
ashley

Post by ashley »

I've been using my NA as a daily drive all winter, but getting fed up with the fuel bills....can't imagine how expensive it would be in my tubby everyday :cry:

Just picked up an old 1.3l fiesta for £100 that I'm gonna start using as my daily drive instead to save fuel costs, seems little point in driving the 2 everyday in traffic....you don't exactly get to 'drive' ](*,)

Just need to get the fiesta through an MOT...
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

This is what I've done & it's the best way round if you ask me. Clio dci for mon-fri (650miles to a tank) with all the ncd put on it. mr2 insured under classic for £200 with break down for weekends & track days. Best of both worlds and it works out cheaper than just having the mr2 insured normally.

I did have a 182 instead of dci but insurance went up & it just got silly!!
Moo

Post by Moo »

RedMR² wrote:Just wondering why I pay to insure and tax it when it comes out on dry days only.

Because it's so much fun on the days you do get to drive it :thumleft:

I'm in the same boat. My 2 sits in the garage over the winter, does around 2/3k miles in the summer and is taxed and insured all year round. It does get the occasional trip out on nice days outside the summer which is why I don't sorn it over the winter.

Rest of the time I drive a bottom of the range M plate 1.2 Corsa which is the epitome of mundane motoring but is cheap to run and surprisingly reliable. What makes it bearable is the knowledge that good weather always gets here and I have a toy in the garage to have some fun in when it does. Not to mention that driving a xxxx box Corsa for the better part of a year makes driving the 2 all the more fun :lol:

Aside from all the arguements about running costs, road congestion etc, I guess a big part of it is down to how much you enjoy the car and what you get out if it. It's a different story if you can't afford to run it as a daily driver or can't justify the cost of tax and insurance for a year if it's a fair weather only car but for me the fun I have in the summer months far outweighs the cost to me. Given that I'm hardly driving it anymore I don't think i'll ever get bored of it and have decided to hang onto mine indefinitely if I can :)
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I'm in the same boat as Moo. Mines a track car predominantly (if it ever works again). Wouldn't relish it as a daily driver all year round, I do 400+ miles a week in my 318 coupe which is actually a 2 litre. It gets xxxx economy (30mpg) and costs over £70 a week in fuel to run, insurance is over £500 with 8yr ncd and generally pee's me off with running costs, but it's nice on the motorway.

Depends really on what you want/need from a car. If it's all about economy, I had a 106 1.4 diesel (no turbo or injection, slowest car I ever drove) which did about 500 miles from £30ish. Hated driving it though.
JDM-MAT

Post by JDM-MAT »

I have no time to be bored with my mr2 I'm spending to much time fixing the bloody thing
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

ditto mate, got a list as long as my arm, and now realised my mot is due haha, lucky i work in a garage \:D/
craig

Post by craig »

Shmed wrote:I'm in the same boat as Moo. Mines a track car predominantly (if it ever works again). Wouldn't relish it as a daily driver all year round, I do 400+ miles a week in my 318 coupe which is actually a 2 litre. It gets xxxx economy (30mpg) and costs over £70 a week in fuel to run, insurance is over £500 with 8yr ncd and generally pee's me off with running costs, but it's nice on the motorway.

Depends really on what you want/need from a car. If it's all about economy, I had a 106 1.4 diesel (no turbo or injection, slowest car I ever drove) which did about 500 miles from £30ish. Hated driving it though.

I don't actually need a second car, even more so now my gf has passed her test and has her own car.

I'm 15mins walk from the bus and use a monthly bus pass to get to work so don't really have a need for a daily drive as such.

And now as mentioned above, if we need to go anywhere, I'm a named driver on her policy so technically I still have a daily driver :mrgreen:

I'm sure once we get out of winter and the warmer days arrive I won't be out of the bloody thing and fallen back in love with it. It really is a love/hate relationship owning a '2 :lol: :lol:
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

haha yeah my misses has a fezza, and she insured me on it which is great because when i cant be a*sed to drive it i can get around for peanuts. Although i use mine daily and find it awsome fun in the rain :D, because i live in the oooo arrrgh country now i get to drive country roads to work everyday so its fun.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”