Advice on REV5 Turbo Conversion

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

juliankv73

Advice on REV5 Turbo Conversion

Post by juliankv73 »

Hi, I am a newbie to the MR2 Turbo.

My car is a "S" reg NA REV 5 soon to be converted with a Turbo. Whilst I understand the basics of the turbo forced induction, I dont anything else!

To be honest I need an idiots guide to the Turbo, what everything is and how it functions to understand a bit more when i drive it! Can anyone point me in the right direction?? A web link etc??!!!!

I am having this done at Rogue Systems and dont wanna keep badgering them with with all my simple questions. The conversion will have a HKS Boost Gauge & HKS Controller; all fitted and wired into the glove box and an HKS “F-CON V” piggyback and HKS Exhaust.

Bearing in mind the conversion will use all my cash and then some, I could stretch to have stuff done that would be CHEAPER and beneficial when having the conversion done as I appreciate that certain mods would be beneficial whilst the engine is out! I am also having the clutch replaced at the same time as recommended by Patrick.

I am going to be dropping the car next weekend and it will be with Rogue for a week to be transplanted. The guys at Rogue have been very superb & helpful in answering my questions inbetween doing their own work! Patrick has been a gem, explaining the basisc of turbos as i know nothing about turbos etc !! MANY THANKS!!!! =D>

Can anyone suggest anything else I should be considering whilst the engine/gearbox etc is out and the transplant is done and being checked and set up?? Induction etc etc My 98 NA T-Bar already has Black diamond drilled/grooved discs on the front.

Any suggestions no matter how small would be a great help to me.. \:D/ Thanks

Julian
Last edited by juliankv73 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
poyntesm

Re: Advice on REV5 Turbo Conversion

Post by poyntesm »

Make sure you get a new clutch fitted...I was skint and did not and have just had to foot the bill to get it replaced now...
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Not sure you want that Piggyback on your ECU if it's come straight from Japan... their fuel is of a higher octane rating than our Very best and so the ignition timing needs to be set back to standard .( 10 degrees before Det).

Only put the HKS F-con on your car when you can have it mapped to use UK fuel.... and then the mappers can accurately do the biz for YOUR car using fuel available in the UK.

As stated before make sure the timing is at 10 degrees before det - mine was set to +15 :shock: ... probably because as the same with you it came over with a host of HKS goodies on it... some good (like my exhaust) - some not so - like the piggy back for reasons mentioned above.

HTH
cheers
Frank.
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Thanks guys... I am learning something new every day since searching these forums and the mr2oc ones for snippets of advice and owners views! I must admit, it is a minefield out there.

For any non-turbo savvy drivers wanting to have a conversion, it is quite mind blowing what you need to be thinking of, contemplating and deciding when having a conversion done. What else to have done at the same time cos it way cheaper such as clutch, timing belt etc and of course mods!

Of course, when the conversion is done, it makes sense to have the mods done at the same time cos the company will set it up for you correctly!

I am definitely going to have the clutch done! It will be the best money ever spent I think!!!

As far as the F-CONV, the car was already imported into the UK by japanese-direct-imports and work done on it by THOR??!!?? to set it all up when running the car in the UK. SO I am assuming that all is still the same as when the Uk owner owned it! #-o

There isnt much on Rogues website regarding warraty etc so I will contact Rogue and ask what warranty is on the conversion transplant clip and of course the bits 'n' bobs such as the HKS stuff and mapping! (And I used to think mapping was plotting a course on a map!!)

thanks for the advice guys, its all a steepppppppp learning curve for me, I can tell ya!

Just a suggestion....Maybe it might be good for anyone contemplating a conversion to have a reference bible on the process here on the forum, maybe the knowledge base?? i.e.

- the bits needed to do a conversion i.e. REV 1, 2,3+
- the bits you might aswell change when having the conversion
- bits that might improve the running of the conversion
- a simple idiots guide to the trubo (for people like me!) or reference to links like that!
- A guide to running ypur converted car after!

Cheers all, and any suggestions, small or large are very welcome to me!

Thanks, =D>

Julian
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

juliankv73 wrote:
As far as the F-CONV, the car was already imported into the UK by japanese-direct-imports and work done on it by THOR??!!?? to set it all up when running the car in the UK. SO I am assuming that all is still the same as when the Uk owner owned it! #-o

hmmmm doesn't sound right to me :-k

THOR are not an HKS agent - so they would not be able to map an F-CON piggy back fuel computer..

you need to check out mate what's the story on your donor car... :-s
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

:shock: I need to do some homework i think and contact Rogue to see whats the score then......... :shock: #-o hopefully all will be revealed and make clearer sense to me then [-o< :!:

Thanks again for your advice! :salut: Julian
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

sure everything is in order.. just letting you know what happened with my HKS piggyback... (make sure you check the Timing).
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:sure everything is in order.. just letting you know what happened with my HKS piggyback... (make sure you check the Timing).

I guess its gonna be fun learning just what all these components do, why they do it and how good they are! Maybe a turbo bible of whats-what-and-where would be a damn good idea, to educate newbies like me!

I am sure too that Rogue will check all the components to make sure it all runs sweet-as-a-nut! Cheers m8!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

does that mean theres a beams engine for sale?
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

:shock: No such luck on this one! Its just your standard 1998 NA Im afraid with full Toyota Service history and 50075 genuine miles and 2 owners including me! Sorry m8!!!
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

:shock: :? #-o
juliankv73

I need some help please - More questions????!!

Post by juliankv73 »

I have been looking at the following parts whilst my car has its engine transplant: -

Revision6 Engine Bay Cooling Fans (Professional)

3” Free flow Downpipe

Clutch - Standard - Turbo (Generic)

Fidanza Lightened Flywheel

Walbro 255ltr/hr Competition Fuel Pump

PAGID Fast Road Brake pads front & rear - Any good or EBC??

Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid

Greddy Uprated R-SPL Intercooler Kit???? Any good???

Braided Brake Lines- Black Diamond?????

please can someone advise me as to whether the choices above are good or not?? I am just running around in circles trying to think just what i would need on a limited budget and am struggling big time!

Any suggestions and comments would help me alot! :D

Thanks in advance, Julian

I am having a REV 3 turbo engine transplant. Where can i get a fidanza flywheel from and what would be a good intercooler??

Thanks in advance, Julian #-o
Last edited by juliankv73 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy K

Post by Andy K »

Just a suggestion....Maybe it might be good for anyone contemplating a conversion to have a reference bible on the process here on the forum, maybe the knowledge base?? i.e.

- the bits needed to do a conversion i.e. REV 1, 2,3+
- the bits you might aswell change when having the conversion
- bits that might improve the running of the conversion

my quick writeup has a bit of this in

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=55

Andy
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:
juliankv73 wrote:

hmmmm doesn't sound right to me :-k

THOR are not an HKS agent - so they would not be able to map an F-CON piggy back fuel computer..

You're quite right - Thor don't have the technology at the moment to map a HKS F-Con V. However, they can use their wideband 02 sensor to confirm the air/fuel ratios are within spec and they have a specific piece of kit (like a pair of headphones with a hose that bolts onto the cylinder head) for listening for detonation. Based on this, they can confirm that the engine is running well on UK fuels - I have the dyno plots on my desk.

The car was originally booked into Thor to solve a problem with fluctuationg boost pressure, which was resolved by shortening the length of the hoses to the boost controller solenoid. they haven't mapped the car as such, just set-up the boost controller.

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:you need to check out mate what's the story on your donor car... :-s

The car belonged to the following IMOC-UK member:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/profile.ph ... file&u=952

...who will be able to give a full and frank description of it's pre-accident condition and performance. It was originally imported by Julian Alison of MR2 Direct Imports:

http://www.mr2-direct-imports.co.uk/

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell
Rogue Systems Limited
01676 530222
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

Are you selling the rev 5 engine? What miles does it have?

If you are doing a conversion at Rogue or somewhere, I may share the costs to get your NA lump into my NA?
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

one of Tony's old cars eh ? :-k

SMALL WORLD ! .. I met Tony when I was with you guys getting my conversion done ! \:D/ - he was sorting out new REV5 dials on his black MR2 .. and also the trim around the windows.

Top bloke... and a lucky geet to boot :lol: - Noble GTO 3R owner =P~ =P~

Hi Tony ! Image
Jimbo3176

Re: I need some help please - More questions????!!

Post by Jimbo3176 »

juliankv73 wrote:Where can i get a fidanza flywheel from

http://www.funkystyling.co.uk/parts/ite ... rodID=2297

I'm jealous.. wanna do all this to my Rev5.. but still saving up! :cry:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:SMALL WORLD ! .. I met Tony when I was with you guys getting my conversion done ! \:D/ - he was sorting out new REV5 dials on his black MR2 .. and also the trim around the windows.

Believe it or not, that black car you saw is the donor car... Tony just got it looking like an authentic revision 5 - and you saw the attention to detail that he put in - when it was crashed.

Patrick
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Rogue wrote:

Believe it or not, that black car you saw is the donor car... Tony just got it looking like an authentic revision 5 - and you saw the attention to detail that he put in - when it was crashed.

Patrick

Oh no ! #-o
Hope he was ok ? :shock:

too powerful for him ? :lol: .. should stick to his "slower" Nobel :roll: yeah right haha :mrgreen:

seriously tho i hope everyone is / was ok :? :cry:

Return to “Modifications”