[Mk2] [Generic] The Truth about seals...

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rev3gtturbo

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] The Truth about seals...

Post by rev3gtturbo »

The trick seems to be to regularly maintain the condition of the rubbers which will just shrink/harden over the years. Just washing the car wont work.

I have found this needs to be done at least 4 times a year with something that will bloat the rubber to as close to its original shape as possible and try and keep it soft and plyable.

When doing this, its best to have a garage so that you can leave the car in there for a few hours with the Tbars off and the doors open to give the rubber time to get fully plumped out. When doing this, you may as well do all the rubbers around the doors, pillars and bonnet and boot as well.

Its worth doing this just before the first frosts of winter as well otherwise your TBar will make a horrible creaking sound when driving as it flexes. It also helps stop the door glass sticking to the Tbar rubber and door pillar rubber so you can actually get into the car.

There used to be a superb product for this but they stopped making it a few years ago. I have not found one anywhere near as good since. I am currently using a halfords rubber rejuventator but it does not plump the rubbers as well as the other stuff but it does keep the rubber plyable.

If anyone uses a waterless cleaner on their car, which are ok on rubbers, dont use it on the Tbar rubber as the surface becomes so slick water will get by the door window. I thought the cleaner the surface the better the contact and therefore seal, but it seems the contact surfaces can be too slick if less than a perfect fit - which they wont be.

If you end up buying new Tbar rubbers, I have heard they are not the easiest thing to fit correctly so suggest getting it done by someone thats done it before.
Rev1Richie

Post by Rev1Richie »

Well i also seem to have got the best solution from a combination of ideas!

1st. do the eccentric washer mod, or, as i did, buy new lidss with the mod already done, much easier..
2nd feed some 3 core down the back of the seal as per a post previously.

First dry seat for 3 months...

Rich
TbarSAN

Post by TbarSAN »

Rev1Richie wrote:

First dry seat for 3 months...

Rich

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Next thing is to buy a car cover or if you've got a garage,use it :wink:
I missed the turbo boost but don't miss the 2 at all...
Rev1Richie

Post by Rev1Richie »

Just like to report that today it rained all day, parked car outside my office, 9.00am till 6.0pm. got in to go home and seat was dry as a bone.

so, do the eccentric washer mod, and feed some 3 core behind the seal.

Works

So if you are looking for a fix, here it is.

Dear Mod, if others have the same success, can this method be placed in the knowledge base

Rich
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I have to say, mine seems alright - not noticed any leaks at all so far, well chuffed :)

Return to “Mechanical”