[Mk2] [Turbo] Bit Random Charge Cooler

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nikaiyo

[Mk2] [Turbo] Bit Random Charge Cooler

Post by nikaiyo »

I was given a funny 12V in car fridge as a gift, its sat gathering dust right now...

So i was wondering would it be worth cutting a big hole in it and putting the swirl pot/ header tank for me CC into the fridge, then sealing it on with some silicone or something.
Spidey

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Bit Random Charge Cooler

Post by Spidey »

And I always thought FMIC meant Front Mount Inter Cooler :lol:
paul port

Post by paul port »

No... Not Really.
The fridge is going to be rated ~50w at most and that's a tiny drop in the heat energy you want to shift.
psummers

Post by psummers »

I believe fridges work by cooling something down to a certain temperature and then keeping it at that temperature by minimising heat loss. If you place something in a fridge that will constantly heat up, it would require constant cooling by the fridge. This is not how they are designed to perform and would probably break the fridge very quickly.
Kinsy

Post by Kinsy »

Used to answer questions like this all the time to people overclocking PC's with watercooling - every 5 minutes someone would suggest running a large reservoir of water in a tank placed in a fridge.

psummers has the whole thing explained though - fridges aren't meant to deal with a continuous heat load & won't last very long if they're having to deal with one.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Fair nuff, I was having a tidy up and trying to think of something to do with the fridge lol :thumleft:
paul port

Post by paul port »

Kinsy wrote: fridges aren't meant to deal with a continuous heat load & won't last very long if they're having to deal with one.

These Mini-Fridges use a Peltier, not a Compressor based heat exchanger - so they can deal with continuous heat transfer.

The problem is that it's not going to shift enough energy to make an appreciable difference.

Return to “Modifications”