Heaters not working

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lee H

Heaters not working

Post by Lee H »

Car gets up to temperature ok and the pipes to the heater matrix are warm but when I move the slider on the controls between hot and cold it makes no difference, just always blows cold air?

Any ideas as its getting bloody cold these days?
MartG

Re: Heaters not working

Post by MartG »

Try bleeding the heater ( bleed valve on firewall in front of windscreen ). If that doesn't help try flushing it through with clean water.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Failing that check that the rod from the heater control to the matrix is still attached. The arm that pulls on the rod is only plastic and at the age our cars are at the plastic can be rather brittle. :(

Post by 37831999 »

Had this problem myself, what I did was disconnect the 2 pipe going into the heater matrix from either underneath or in the bonnet, once disconnected I used an air line with a blower and blew the matrix through! Heater works a tread now.
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Funnily enough I revisited this problem today. The temperature slider wasn't moving the valve thing under the bonnet so thought i'd found the problem. Fitted new heater controls (old ones had snapped where the rod clips on) and now the valve opens but still no warm air.

Both pipes into the matrix are hot so its looking like a blocked matrix after all.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Try connecting a hosepipe to it and blasting mains water through it.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

Lauren wrote:Try connecting a hosepipe to it and blasting mains water through it.

yea, that worked a treat when i did it to stuarts kameleon.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”