Sticky? DVLA import size plate rules? Eventually found it!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

Sticky? DVLA import size plate rules? Eventually found it!

Post by ryan »

Just had a cocky copper pull me over saying my number plate size is illegal. I argued with him, telling him imports are subject to special rules where recess size will limit plate size, he didnt know his ar$e from his elbow but tried to look as if he did. Ive taken his badge number and intend to print off the rules for the cocky sod. I had a look and searched the DVLA site but cannot find the part I need. It was there a few years ago, but seems to have vanished? I dont want links to plate sites, but the proper wording from the government site.
He also said I need the BS mark on it, but his main issue was with the size. He accepted a UK plate (reluctantly) wouldnt fit, but his attitude really pi$$ed me off! :evil:
The amount of people driving around with foglights on and neon blue lights continue however...
Last edited by ryan on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightfire

Re: Sticky? DVLA import size plate rules? Eventually found it!

Post by Nightfire »

It does technically supposed to have a BS mark but it usually is at discression if the characters are wiyhin spec

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Pe ... /DG_181503
JDM-MAT

Post by JDM-MAT »

Nightfire wrote:It does technically supposed to have a BS mark but it usually is at discression if the characters are wiyhin spec

just had a read through and i can not see where it says the legal size for import cars?n :-s
ryan

Post by ryan »

Just found it after 2 hours of searching. Going up the copshop tomorrow to stick it up his ar$e :evil:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002 ... ion/5/made
ryan

Post by ryan »

Nightfire wrote:It does technically supposed to have a BS mark but it usually is at discression if the characters are wiyhin spec

The above doesnt mention the import ruling, just motorbikes
JDM-MAT

Post by JDM-MAT »

so come on then add up all the letter sizes and spaces to see what the over all size is that we can get away with lol
ryan

Post by ryan »

JDM-MAT wrote:so come on then add up all the letter sizes and spaces to see what the over all size is that we can get away with lol

Ok, for a 7 character number plate, it needs to be minimum 378mm wide

5+44+10+44+10+44+10+44+10+44+10+44+10+44+5 = 378mm

for 6 characters its 334

for '1' these only need to be 10mm wide, so -34mm for this,

So P234 KEF needs to be 378mm
P123 KEF needs to be 344mm

For 6 characters eg P23 KEF 324 mm

Interestingly the site doesnt specify the need to put a bigger gap between the P234 and KEF
so P234KEF would be okay (as apposed to P234 KEF)?

For

P234
KEF
the plate can be narrower, but would need to be deeper obviously
13mm (top border) 13mm (bottom border) 5mm between the P234 and KEF and then the hieght of the characters 64mm x2
So 13+64+5+64+13 = 159 (6.25inch) deep
by 5+44+10+44+10+44+10+44+5 =206mm (10.25inch)wide
RST

Post by RST »

Just had a cocky copper pull me over saying my number plate size is illegal. I argued with him, telling him imports are subject to special rules where recess size will limit plate size,

Technically no -ish.

Imports follow the same rules as any other car regarding plate sizes. The difference being where moulding recesses prohibit the fitment of UK size plates. So on an SW20 I presume they pulled you on the back plate? There's nothing stopping you from fitting a UK sized plate on the front of an SW20 so technically that's what should be there. The back plate is recessed to fit and a UK size plate can't be fitted. If you decide to prat around with sizes, fonts and ebblems then it's your own argument. I believe the DVLA pulled the requirement for displaying the name and post code of the plate supplier earlier this year, or summit like that.

....The license plate info is so stupidly easy to find on the internet you have a case arguing either way IF you follow the DVLA rules. BTW the rules should be available in hard copy from from any legitimate plate printer (all retail outlets who print plates should have written copies).
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The problem now is the rules have changed so you are not going to fined what you need.

10 yease or so ago you could fit smaller plates the motor cycle size.
I have a stick on front motor cycle size plate that was fitted back when the rules said it was ok to do that.

Look at some number plate sites and you should find the old rules.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

RST wrote:
Just had a cocky copper pull me over saying my number plate size is illegal. I argued with him, telling him imports are subject to special rules where recess size will limit plate size,

Technically no -ish.

Imports follow the same rules as any other car regarding plate sizes. The difference being where moulding recesses prohibit the fitment of UK size plates. So on an SW20 I presume they pulled you on the back plate? There's nothing stopping you from fitting a UK sized plate on the front of an SW20 so technically that's what should be there. The back plate is recessed to fit and a UK size plate can't be fitted. If you decide to prat around with sizes, fonts and ebblems then it's your own argument. I believe the DVLA pulled the requirement for displaying the name and post code of the plate supplier earlier this year, or summit like that.

....The license plate info is so stupidly easy to find on the internet you have a case arguing either way IF you follow the DVLA rules. BTW the rules should be available in hard copy from from any legitimate plate printer (all retail outlets who print plates should have written copies).

However, if you have a front plate holder on your car, you are permitted to use an import size plate, as UK size won't fit the holder. Trust me, I MOT'd my last car like this, but did have to point to the section in the book.
ryan

Post by ryan »

RST..

Technically YES! Its in black and white in the link ive provided.
As for pratting around with font ive already stated my font style and size is legal, and I dont have any emblems on my plates.
Regarding your comment about UK size front plate holders. I'm not about to remove my front bumper (there are two retaining clamp/nuts at the rear of ther bumper only accessable by removing the bumper) when my front JDM plate holder is perfectly adequate and covered by such exceptions!
As for the BS mark, it still mentions 'Brisish Standards' on the DVLA site, but doesnt mention the BS number.
I'm assuming your a copper of some sort by the tone of your message?
cridge

Post by cridge »

ryan wrote:
JDM-MAT wrote:so come on then add up all the letter sizes and spaces to see what the over all size is that we can get away with lol

for 6 characters its 334

Interestingly the site doesnt specify the need to put a bigger gap between the P234 and KEF

For

P234
KEF
13mm (top border) 13mm (bottom border) 5mm between the P234 and KEF and then the hieght of the characters 64mm x2

You would have a problem come MOT time if you were to remove the space i.e. P243KEF as a 33mm space (No more, No less) is required between the 3 & the K unless on a seperate line i.e. Import & Motorbike type plates
ryan

Post by ryan »

cridge wrote:
ryan wrote:

for 6 characters its 334

For

P234
KEF

You would have a problem come MOT time if you were to remove the space i.e. P243KEF as a 33mm space (No more, No less) is required between the 3 & the K unless on a seperate line i.e. Import & Motorbike type plates

Where does it state this on the website though? :?
cridge

Post by cridge »

It wouldnt suprise me if it wasnt, the Road traffic act & the MOT test are 2 different things - it would amaze you whats illegal but MOT worthy!
ryan

Post by ryan »

Just found the text excusing not having a BS mark on the plate :)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/S ... 010-07.pdf
cridge

Post by cridge »

Ha ha, yeah - VOSA messed up, we were all told that vehicles registered after 09/2001 had to display the BSAU 145D stamp, however - when they realised that almost none of the vehicle manufacturers had number plate manufacturing machines with the capabilities of stamping accordingly they quickly withdrew it! - Red faces for them all! :clap:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”