MR is being neutered :-(

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

N9THX

MR is being neutered :-(

Post by N9THX »

95 GT turbo failed the emissions at 5.8% against 0.5% limit.
Has now had a full engine service, Bosch plugs removed for Denso units.
MT90 gearbox oil in.
New thermostat.

Garage have retested and say it's come down alot but probably needs cat on.

So now it's having the de-cat twin 4 inch stainless system replaced with the original unit, a slightly quieter smaller version of the tackle he's been sporting.

Hope he's not too upset.
:oops:
ancient mariner

Re: MR is being neutered :-(

Post by ancient mariner »

got a unmolested cat if you want to borrow it for your mot. paul.
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Thanks but i still have the cat, backbox and pipe, just missing the original manifold, don't think the manifold would matter too much for emissions.
Should know tomorrow how the transplant has gone.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Its only for a day!
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

You know, i might actually keep the original unit on, it's a daily driver and the zaust is just tooooooo LOUD! It's how i brought it. Plus the standard performance figures are ok for me, already taken the manual boost valve off, need to reconnect the thing that's bypassed at the minute too. The cylindrical thing about a foot back from the turbo. It's got 2 bolts in the pipework at the minute.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

if it's an M plate the limit is 3.5% but at 5.8% something is amiss. Have you checked for error codes specifically 21 indicating the lambda is gubbed?
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

It's a December 1995 N plate, garage said normal test is 0.35% but they allow for 0.5% for mine which is wrong as it's post July 95.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

At 5.8% CO2 there's definitely something wrong. My rev3 turbo just passed with no CAT ('94) with 0.36% CO2!! I'd be checking for error codes and doing the lambda test at the diagnostics port. Do you know what % it has come down to with the service?

Got a picture of the 'thing thats bypassed'? If you've removed a manual boost controller but not reconnected the TVSV and actuator then your boost will be all over the place, but the actuator is not a foot back from the turbo, it's bolted to it.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Replace your coolant, airbox and intake temperature sensors, or your O2 sensor.

Something is seriously amiss if its 5.8%

What's a cat worth anyway? Got my old one sat under my bed doing nowt.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Marf wrote:What's a cat worth anyway? Got my old one sat under my bed doing nowt.

About £40 if you get them weighed in for their scrap value
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

toxo wrote:At 5.8% CO2 there's definitely something wrong. My rev3 turbo just passed with no CAT ('94) with 0.36% CO2!! I'd be checking for error codes and doing the lambda test at the diagnostics port. Do you know what % it has come down to with the service?

Got a picture of the 'thing thats bypassed'? If you've removed a manual boost controller but not reconnected the TVSV and actuator then your boost will be all over the place, but the actuator is not a foot back from the turbo, it's bolted to it.

I just had my mot done (non cat), but I didnt check the C02 reading.

I've noticed these downpipes on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR2-Turbo-CELICA- ... 414f113746

Although it's an xspower jobbie, it might be a better alternative for newer tubbies.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

If i was you i would change your mot place! My mr2 has been through 4 MOT's since i have owned it and not once has an emissions probe even come close to my exhaust!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

RyanRs wrote:If i was you i would change your mot place! My mr2 has been through 4 MOT's since i have owned it and not once has an emissions probe even come close to my exhaust!

Regardless, with CO2 figures like that it's a sign that the engine is not very healthy, and has identified that there is a problem that needs fixing!
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

no 'friendly' MOT centres up your way?!
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

toxo wrote:
RyanRs wrote:If i was you i would change your mot place! My mr2 has been through 4 MOT's since i have owned it and not once has an emissions probe even come close to my exhaust!

Regardless, with CO2 figures like that it's a sign that the engine is not very healthy, and has identified that there is a problem that needs fixing!

Yeah thats a good point, i read straight through that tbh.

Check ECU coolant temp sensor, lambda sensor, ignition timing and re-set the ecu to ensure its not in limp mode. Limp mode will pull timing and increase fuelling to protect the engine.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”