Key wont turn in ignition!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

Key wont turn in ignition!

Post by ryan »

I initially thought it was a frozen ignition loxck, but a boiling hot key and de icer hasnt worked, the only thing that seems to work is 10minutes of key wiggling before it starts! I can only assume the key has worn and isnt unlocking the ignition properly. Anybody have any other ideas?
Thanks
Ryan
ancient mariner

Re: Key wont turn in ignition!

Post by ancient mariner »

had this problem a couple of years ago.
managed to cure it by spraying a bit of white grease lubricant
down the keyhole.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Silly question I know but it's not the steering lock pressing on the ignition barrel is it? Wiggle the steering wheel and see if that has any effect.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
ryan

Post by ryan »

toxo wrote:Silly question I know but it's not the steering lock pressing on the ignition barrel is it? Wiggle the steering wheel and see if that has any effect.

No its not the steering lock. Its bleeding annoying though!
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

Key has properly worn as you say. A good time to buy one of them nice toyota gold keys off ebay.

Your local key cutting person can cut you a new key and should sort the problem.
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
ryan

Post by ryan »

foxy-stoat wrote:Key has properly worn as you say. A good time to buy one of them nice toyota gold keys off ebay.

Your local key cutting person can cut you a new key and should sort the problem.

The problem is, if I get a key cut, then theyre just going to be replicating the worn key? I think i will have to go to Toyota for them to cut a proper one from my frame number? :?
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

Naaaa, tell them its worn down and they can make the new one as it should be. Well thats what our local key cutter did for me, nice chap, only had 1 eye tho!
ryan

Post by ryan »

foxy-stoat wrote:Naaaa, tell them its worn down and they can make the new one as it should be. Well thats what our local key cutter did for me, nice chap, only had 1 eye tho!

Really?
I might try that! Eye eye :oldtongue:
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

Them key cutters are pretty good at what they do !
ryan

Post by ryan »

foxy-stoat wrote:Them key cutters are pretty good at what they do !

Well I explained the possible problem, and theyve cut a new key, but its still the same! Ive now had to leave the key in the ignition partially engaged, and lock the car 8-[
I should get the new key from Toyota on friday, but I got a funny feeling theres something amiss in the barrel itself #-o
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

New barrel from your local friendly MR2 breaker, and your sorted brruuvvvaaa!
ryan

Post by ryan »

StevieL wrote:New barrel from your local friendly MR2 breaker, and your sorted brruuvvvaaa!

Steve you are a lifesaver! :clap:
toyotatoyota

Post by toyotatoyota »

Had this problem a few months back with Rev1 Coupe. Spent bout 30mins trying to sort it, gave up and called AA out (1st time ever) and in 30secs he'd wiggled the key about and fired it up. He said i should take it straight to garage and get the barrel replaced ;( So i booked it into JapTech in Hull and they replaced the barrel and i had two new keys cut at Toyota. The only thing they said was that. 1. Ull be lucky and your locks wont have been changed so the new keys will work in them. 2. Unlucky and have to carry 2sets of keys or 3. Replace all locks. I was 1, lucky ;) Only slight niggle is you have to be very gentle putting the new key into the old door locks as they are bit worn/tight with the new key.
JDM-MAT

Post by JDM-MAT »

ryan wrote:I initially thought it was a frozen ignition loxck, but a boiling hot key and de icer hasnt worked, the only thing that seems to work is 10minutes of key wiggling before it starts! I can only assume the key has worn and isnt unlocking the ignition properly. Anybody have any other ideas?
Thanks
Ryan
mine does this, i just find if i turn the key upside down and put it in that way it goes in.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Well it seemed something had broken inside the barrel, so I juust replaced the whole barrel in the end! Cheers Stevie!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”