Winter Tyres?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grendel

Re: Winter Tyres?

Post by Grendel »

They look interesting but was thinking of getting Winter tyres for the Mk1a wheels since already have fairly new Goodyear tyres on the rear already.

These keep popping up on various searches:

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?d ... sowigan=Wi
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

The Quatrac 3s look to have a better performance all round compared to the Goodriders. According to the Tyretest link anyhoo. :-k
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Ive just spent £292 on the new yoko neovas - but havent had chance to test them out in the snow as car has been broken for the last 4 days - will use it on thursday though or maybe tomorrow.
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

Grendel wrote:They look interesting but was thinking of getting Winter tyres for the Mk1a wheels since already have fairly new Goodyear tyres on the rear already.

These keep popping up on various searches:

Have a Check on the Kwik Fit Site, they have offers running on "Continental Wintercontact" tyres at the moment, at about £50 a corner fitted. It's an online deal only - you book and pay online then go to sh*t-fit to get them fitted. Might be worth a look. Winter tyres will be ideal .You'll be amazed at how much grip you can have on slush/snow. IN the Mk1 I'd imagine front end grip will be the problem! Might be worth slinging a bag of gravel in the frunk or something.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

I've just ordered a set of Pirelli Snowcontrol Serie 11 for the Panda. Not cheap at £362.80 though.

That said, if they allow me to get the 40 miles to work and avoid wasting valuable holiday time sitting at home stranded I'll be happy.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Polypedates wrote:I've just ordered a set of Pirelli Snowcontrol Serie 11 for the Panda. Not cheap at £362.80 though.

That said, if they allow me to get the 40 miles to work and avoid wasting valuable holiday time sitting at home stranded I'll be happy.

I got offered some form of Uniroyal Winter Tyres for £200 all in for the MK1. After my trip to Germany, I will NEVEr put any Pirelli tyre on my car for the rest of my life.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Tiamat wrote:

I got offered some form of Uniroyal Winter Tyres for £200 all in for the MK1. After my trip to Germany, I will NEVEr put any Pirelli tyre on my car for the rest of my life.

Depends on which pirelli, some of the tyres they have for sale haven't changed in 10-15 years, so of course to modern tyres they are going to be leathal.

It also depends on how old peoples tyres are. If your tyres are older than 3 years, then they are recomended for a change regardless of condition as they have lost some of their capability,
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

cartledge_uk wrote:Depends on which pirelli, some of the tyres they have for sale haven't changed in 10-15 years, so of course to modern tyres they are going to be leathal.

It also depends on how old peoples tyres are. If your tyres are older than 3 years, then they are recomended for a change regardless of condition as they have lost some of their capability,

To me it doesn't depend on the age or the type. Pirelli will never be put on any vehicle I own ever again. As a brand they have lost my trust.

I personally trusted the £15 each no-name brand tyres put on to get my car through an MOT more than I trusted the Pirellis.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Maxsport rally tyres might be worth a try. Cheap, knobbly, soft compounds, the right size and reinforced side wall for those kerb crossing incidents/accidents.

Road legal and E marked, won't last long on dry Tarmac though.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Those Rally Tyres look great but since 99% of my driving is on tarmac they wound last long. Also nearest dealer is 90 miles away :(

As for Kwickfix winter tyre deals every time I put the 185/60 R14 dimensions in all it offers is summer tyres?

The other thing is do i still need a V speed rating for winter tyres?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

:lol: I doubt you'll need a tyre rated for 130mph in the snow, S or H rated will be fine. :thumleft:

I'd seriously consider a tarmac/gravel rally tyre. :-k

I don't think the UK has caught onto the cancept of snow/winter tyres yet, the major tyre traders might stock them when enough people start asking for them.

Cheapy remoulds? :-k
http://www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/xcart/pr ... 250&page=1
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

As for Rally tyres it all depends if i buy the tyres if some one can fit them. Been looking at these also:

But your one seem even cheasper.

Could always Maxsport Alaska 2 at £191 delverd

But then it will probably cost another £20 to get them fitted so still makes more sence to get some Kwickfix ones
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Well I could really of done with Snow tyres OR 4x4 this morning but don’t think it would of made any difference:

no chance of using the motorbike and since they didn’t salt the 45 Degree hill I live at the bottom of couldn’t use the car either and to make matters worse had to phone work after having 7 days off with a broken foot to tell them I wasn’t coming in since they had cancelled the busses as well so had no way to get in.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

My tyres are xxxx in this weather.

I lost control at 50 in 5th gear on the A130 and drifted across both lanes, thankfully found some grip before I turned the car around. Never clenched so hard in my life.

Attempted to go up a slight incline and was at 45degrees for 15 minutes using the kerb as a source of grip - highly embarassing.

Blocked a road for 5 mins on a busy industrial estate.

I dont know how any tyres can keep you on the road in this!
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Just seen these on a 4x4 tyre shop:

Only have a speed L what ever that is but i guess slow.

Posibly a bit overkill on a MR2

Just had a local tyre fittter quote me £10 per tyre+VAT so basically £47 for all 4 tyres to be fited and ballanced at home.

Result!!
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

These Hankooks look like a good price and work out cheaper than the Maxsport remolds.

http://tyremen.myshopify.com/products/1 ... ebear-w440

Edit: b0ll0x just seen there sold out. ](*,)
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Finaly found some:

Will order them tonight. :thumleft:
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Grendel wrote:Finaly found some:

Will order them tonight. :thumleft:

Carefully consider the choice. That tyre will likely be a liability in dry / wet conditions.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

What sizes are recommended for winter tyres on the MR2 ?

Narrower than standard to dig into the snow?
Keep them staggered front/rear?
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

jonb- wrote:

Carefully consider the choice. That tyre will likely be a liability in dry / wet conditions.

Hmmm good point. But most other places that sell winter tyres are either sold out or at £60+ per tyre.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”