Running a MR2 in the winter

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Torero

Re: Running a MR2 in the winter

Post by Torero »

Don't use Vaseline it's Petroleum based and as mentioned will destroy the rubber seals, don't use warm water as this can crack the glass as well as freeze on the rubber causing problems.

A simple option is to get some dubbing [a clear water based wax for sealing and moisturising leather] clean the rubbers first and literally smear it on with your finger and take the excess off with a cloth. It works a treat on T-Bar seals as well, rejuvenates any dry rubber and also adds a sealing property.

My other advice is if you just want it for over the Winter, do not buy a T-Bar - much colder and prone to leaks - or anything without stock suspension, even lowered 25mm causes problems in deeper snow, get a rev 3 onwards if you can as they have ABS so probably a little more control. Definitely agree with tyre advice and with the engine weight over the rear wheels it will pass some 4WDs. WD40 on locks and hinges and a cover on the windscreen, less than £20 and keep your de-icer in the house and not in the car.

One other thing, if you buy a 4WD car doesn't mean to say you can drive it, like anything else it takes some skill and experience. So if you are sensibel you will pass loads of them stranded on the roadside. Enjoy \:D/
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

I run mine daily including some 200mile+ trips in heavy snow. Not had any scares at all it's better than putting the power down in snow than my old prelude that's for sure.

I get the sticky doors but I Just pour some warm water around the frame.
Sometimes my locks are frozen but I just heat my key up with a lighter then insert it.

If it's icey for a few days then sometimes my speedo goes bonkers but that dissapears as soon as the car warms up and has only happened about 2 times each winter.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Torero wrote:don't use warm water as this can crack the glass as well as freeze on the rubber causing problems

I hear this every winter and in all my years existence have still never seen or experienced this occuring despite my whole family doing it on all our cars in winter.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Rossi wrote:
Torero wrote:don't use warm water as this can crack the glass as well as freeze on the rubber causing problems

I hear this every winter and in all my years existence have still never seen or experienced this occuring despite my whole family doing it on all our cars in winter.

Ditto...
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Just want to say in defence my 21yr old t-bar heats up nicely, doesn't leak and lowered about an inch and a half had no more problems in deep snow last winter than any other and less than most. I'd rather be braking in snow in my non ABS car than even the g/fs mk3 and from what I understand the earlier system on mk2s is no great shakes. Mind you I didn't take it off road.
Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

No fears about t bar leaks as I will only buy a tin top.

Sounds like a plan. I shall start hunting :mrgreen:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

riot68 wrote:
Rossi wrote:

Ditto...

If you pour boiling water over frozen glass there is a good chance it'll shatter. However, if you do that, you bloody deserve to have a broken window!

I use a 2 pint (plastic) milk bottle with 50/50 hot and cold water. Used that method literally thousands of times with no problem at all.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Slarty wrote:
riot68 wrote:
Rossi wrote:

Ditto...

If you pour boiling water over frozen glass there is a good chance it'll shatter. However, if you do that, you bloody deserve to have a broken window!

I use a 2 pint (plastic) milk bottle with 50/50 hot and cold water. Used that method literally thousands of times with no problem at all.

Cold water with a little antifreeze mixed in works a treat for me. Also looks like theyve already starting gritting the roads so its time to start washing the car every week again :eye:
cosmos

Winter

Post by cosmos »

What about spraying doorseals with silicone (even furniture polish) good for squeaks and rattles, glass to rubber any theories anyone.
greeny

Post by greeny »

I've always found rear wheel drive cars alot more controllable in the snow!

Plus there a lot more fun!
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

They arent fantastic in the winter if we are honest are they. MR2 = Summer fun! I`ve been on a hill on ice/snow and struggled to get up it, back wheels spinning. and if you go rev 1 with old seals you will end up getting ice inside the windows. Doors sticking, handbrake sticking, inconvenience of crouching down to get into it when its 6am freezing cold and in a rush to get to work.

I`ve run MR2`s through the last 5 winters though. Probably will again this year, but everytime I get in it I will be cursing. Especially when I have just pulled off and waiting for it to warm up and a beemer is up my ass with full beams on and snow is coming down on my screen!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Thats when I feel warmest.....
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

dazzz wrote:The main problem with driving in the ice is all the other people on the road.

^^^this^^^
Meko

Post by Meko »

i smashed two alloys on my Supra last winter. The estate i live on is tarmac and brick, as soon as i got onto the brick the back end swung out and smashed the kerb. As soon as it hit th kerb it dragged the front end round and did the same to that... I didn't even have enough time to do anything before it happened.
To get out of the estate you have to go down a hill onto the main road, if you're lucky you might make it to the bottom in one piece .. and they don't grit the estate so it's just ice a lot of the time.

So i've just spent £500 on a Volvo 850SE estate for this winter. If i hit somebody i'll just drive straight through them and if i trash it i can leave it at the side of the road.
project7

Post by project7 »

I dont think running an MR2 is different to running any other car in the winter, just take it easier! It might be rear wheel drive, but i would hazard a guess that its better than most front engined rear wheel drive cars in the snow as the weight of the engine is over the drive wheels.

As for the hot water to de-ice the car, as long as its only just lukewarm i dont think there is a problem, in fact the water raises the temperature of the glass slightly and so you dont get the ice reforming as soon as you start driving. I would avoid doing it though, if you already have a small crack in the windscreen as it may cause the crack to grow.
prb

Post by prb »

You could of course stick some winter tyres on, then it will be far safer to drive in the snow, ice and wet.

Small investment, if you rotate the tyres - summer, winter etc.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Get an old fiesta for about £500 for the winter.. nice set of 185/60/14 rims on it with lots of tread pumped up hard and service the handbrake.. All the power you need for the snow with as much grip as you'll get and the handbrake makes for fun cheeky handbrake turns in quiet carparks :mrgreen:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

RyanRs wrote:Get an old fiesta for about £500 for the winter.. nice set of 185/60/14 rims on it with lots of tread pumped up hard and service the handbrake.. All the power you need for the snow with as much grip as you'll get and the handbrake makes for fun cheeky handbrake turns in quiet carparks :mrgreen:

I got mine for £75 ;)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

just tried the "2 pint milk jug 50/50 warm /cold water" on the doors - works a treat :) :mrgreen:
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

Meko wrote:So i've just spent £500 on a Volvo 850SE estate for this winter. If i hit somebody i'll just drive straight through them and if i trash it i can leave it at the side of the road.

Look up an episode of Fifth gear where they crash an old Volvo vs. a modern car (renault megane I think it was) head-on. Volvo doesn't survive that crash too well.

Old cars are not as sturdy as people think - even the "swedish tanks" :)

Having that said, i'd like a 850 for 500 notes :)
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”