Running a MR2 in the winter

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nightfire

Running a MR2 in the winter

Post by Nightfire »

Hello pepole

I currently have a n/a Rev 3 wich has been WIP (off the road) for the last year or so and I will need a cheap sub £1000 run about soon and I have been looking at a few Rev1+2's wich are in typical condiditon and mileage.

What are they like in winter conditions like snow/ice? Im not expecting mircales but I would like to know if they are able to cope wich such conditions.

Is this a good idea or am I going to be facing problems

Had a look at a Rev1 today at a local garage but it was a mess and greatley overpriced (average condidtion 129k and rotten not to mention a ill fitting rev3 spoiler for £1500)

Any experienced info will be great :thumleft:
Slarty

Re: Running a MR2 in the winter

Post by Slarty »

I've driven my car (admittedly a Rev3) every day for the last 4 years without any real problem. The only minor issue was with the doors sticking shut during very cold weather as the glass *sticks* to the seals.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Slarty wrote:I've driven my car (admittedly a Rev3) every day for the last 4 years without any real problem. The only minor issue was with the doors sticking shut during very cold weather as the glass *sticks* to the seals.

I've had this problem this week, will a bit of Vaseline stop this happening?

And to the OP, I will be running my first mr2 over the winter so hoping that I can drive it as much as possible. I'm guessing in snow it's going to be useless though, what are other peoples experience?
JayUK91

Post by JayUK91 »

I drove my MR2 all last winter and swore i'd never do it again. It's not because of the car though, it's simply due to the fact that i live too close to where i work for my heaters to warm up before i get there! :oldtongue:

My car was fine in itself though, just take it easy and you'll be OK.

I'll be driving mine every day this winter too, but at least i have a garage now to protect it from the elements..no more frost/ice/snow scraping for me! :thumleft:

Oh, and i'd avoid vaseline...apparently it can perish the rubber seals. Just get in the habit of taking a jug of warm water out with you when it's icy, tip it on the top of the doors, and they'll be fine.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

i drove mine in winter...............................

:(

I wont be driving mine again over winter, if you have 1K for a run around buy a cheap shopping trolley

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

i have driven my mr2 turbo everyday since it bought rain sun or snow, apart from the windscreen freezing inside and out and the door locks and seals freezing just be wary of corners and take it steady.

only been stuck once and that was in the snow drove up the hill fine well a little sideways but soon as i stopped to turn around game over just kept going sideways in same spot, had to dig my way out with the girlfriends dustpan and lots of salt stopped just short of another car literally 30 cm

so literally just be careful and dont take it out in the snow unless its a huge car park \:D/
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I've commuted every winter for the last 5 years in the MR2. Even through the super heavy snow last year.

Winter tyres are the biggest help. Of course you still have to be careful and drive slowly but the amount of extra traction they give you over summer tyres in the snow is huge and they help with parking up, turning into icy junctions etc.

The only real problems I had last year were when the snow piled up in the carpark so high that my bumper ended up as a snow plow so I had to dig my way out. Once out on the roads where the snow wasn't above the bumper the car managed fine.

I've been using Toyo snowprox and Hankook Icebears so far. This year I am trying some cheaper Nexex Winguard winter tyres on the front - will see how it goes :thumleft:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

surely if you have an mr2 already and need a car for the winter theres better places to spend a grand seeing you through the dark months
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

and dont forget handbrake cable may freeze up too,
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

The main problem with driving in the ice is all the other people on the road. It only takes one old dear to slide into you or a typical BMW driver not looking at what's going on and your car's a write off
Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

Thanks for the info guys.

I want a mr2 because I will probaly use it as a donor car once the winter is over. I prefer rear drive cars in the winter as I find them more controllable. Also I prep a lot of landrovers for a living so I have a basic idea on how to prep I.e m+s tyres and covering the door seals with a small amount of wd40 etc
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I've run my rev1 n/a as a daily driver in all conditions for the last 11yrs including winters. Odd frozen handbrake (leave it in gear instead) and frozen doors (which warm water solves) other than that no issues to report. Only got stuck once last winter when it simply refused to climb an icy hill but then so did pretty much everything else that wasn't 4WD.
Just pick a nice high gear and carry on.

R.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

As above, handbrakes freeze (usually because the boots on your handbrake cables are perished), pull off in 2nd and don't try and use your front bumper as a snow plough if it's fibreglass :lol: Decent tyres are of course a must but I've never had specific 'winter' tyres. Just plenty of tread!

Mine's a daily drive and the last 3 winters I've driven it through snow, ice, freezing fog, no worries. Pull off in 2nd (or 3rd if it's really icy) and slow, progressive throttle control is what you need.

I do get the point about the heaters not warming up quick enough though :lol:

Driving past other people who are stuck in FWD or 4WD vehicles will give you a sense of smug satisfaction. Until you stop to help them of course :)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

same with the heaters :) on a couple frosty morning earlier this week i had problems getting any heat in the cabin :) my journey to work is only about 1.5 miles though :)
One thing i am going to do before some colder weather hits, is replace the coolant. Good fresh one can't hurt if temperatures are about to dip.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
craig

Post by craig »

My '2 doesn't see wet/winter/snowy/icy conditions. That be what my daily hack 306 TD is for.

FWD FTW :mrgreen:

Not sure why you want another MR2 for the winter. Get yourself a cheap hatchback :thumleft:
Kenn

Post by Kenn »

I have driven mine for about 5 years in all weathers with very little problems.

Even drove it to France a couple of years ago to go snowboarding. The snow was quite deep but the snow chains on the rear helped alot, although steering wasn't great.

Had the usual issues mentioned above, like the doors stuck to the seals and the windscreen freezing, but other than that is has been perfect.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Harold wrote:
Slarty wrote:I've driven my car (admittedly a Rev3) every day for the last 4 years without any real problem. The only minor issue was with the doors sticking shut during very cold weather as the glass *sticks* to the seals.

I've had this problem this week, will a bit of Vaseline stop this happening?

And to the OP, I will be running my first mr2 over the winter so hoping that I can drive it as much as possible. I'm guessing in snow it's going to be useless though, what are other peoples experience?

It will, but it'll rot the rubber in the process. So i wouldn't if i were you.
prb

Post by prb »

My MR2 turbo out performed my old Lexus IS200, the Lex would just spin its wheels and move slowly sideways, where as the MR2 would drive just about OK, thats with big 17" wheels and only a 2" off the ground. This year the '2 is already parked up doing nothing as the Prius is doing everything.
Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

Drove my 2 last winter for the first time and didn't have any issues really other than the sticking doors.

Drove it when it had completely snowed too, no issues, shouldn't really see any issues unless you drive like a tool or you're unlucky. :)

(Yes had a few hairy moments with the back coming out on the icy roads, that's about it. lol

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”