[Mk2] [Turbo] after market water temp gauge

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shafter35

[Mk2] [Turbo] after market water temp gauge

Post by shafter35 »

hi
done a search but cant find anything defiitive, can anyone tell me if you can use the oem water temp sender location when fitting an after market gauge?
i understand the oem gauge will not work.
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] after market water temp gauge

Post by djpkins »

I would say that the after market guage and sensor would be calibrated for each other...call r-spec and see what they say...matey can be very helpfull.
Yas

Post by Yas »

Can't see a problem using the oem location, you'd just need the right fitment or an adaptor to screw your aftermaerket temp sensor into place. What rev have you got? I'm no longer using the cold start sensor on mine and will be using that location to fit my temp sensor, if you have the same option then you can still have the oem gauge connected.
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
shafter35

Post by shafter35 »

Yas wrote:Can't see a problem using the oem location, you'd just need the right fitment or an adaptor to screw your aftermaerket temp sensor into place. What rev have you got? I'm no longer using the cold start sensor on mine and will be using that location to fit my temp sensor, if you have the same option then you can still have the oem gauge connected.

i have a rev 2 turbo, not sure where the cold start sensor is, have you any pics.
thanks
Yas

Post by Yas »

It's the grey plug on the water tree just below the oil press sensor. If you are using aftermarket engine management your coldstart will most likely be redundant in which case you can use this location BUT if you are still on the oem setup you will need the coldstart in place.
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

All gauges should read with all types of compatable sensors, but they should have a correctly matched manufacturers sender for accurate readings, ie the ones that come with the gauge, but we all know that when buying second hand this isnt always possible.

The w/temp gauge I use is VDO and the sensor is OE MR2 tubby. Its scale reads as accurate as the OE MR2 dash cluster.

For oil temp I use a VDO gauge but with a partco temp sender.

My VDO oil pressure gauge uses a VDO sender along with the MR2 dash low pressure warning lamp as an extra precaution.
mark239

Post by mark239 »

My POS Greddy water temp gauge uses stock location. You lose the stock gauge though obviously.
shafter35

Post by shafter35 »

thanks for your input guys :clap:
should be able to sort this now. \:D/

Return to “Modifications”