T-Bar without the T??

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mulaz

T-Bar without the T??

Post by mulaz »

Found this picture of a German mr2 then i noticed the T-Bar had been chopped out
can anyone shed any light on this cool mod :thumleft:
ulysess1966

T-less Bar

Post by ulysess1966 »

It is cool, like a poor man's 'Magnum PI' Ferrari.

I've seen a couple of others done like this over the years, but the thing to remember is that without the bar there is no rigidity at all in the roof (and there's not a lot to begin with). IIRC one of the others I saw had heavy bars fitted just inside the bottom of both doors to strengthen the body, which looked a bit ignorant when the doors were open.
cartledge_uk

Re: T-less Bar

Post by cartledge_uk »

ulysess1966 wrote:It is cool, like a poor man's 'Magnum PI' Ferrari.

I've seen a couple of others done like this over the years, but the thing to remember is that without the bar there is no rigidity at all in the roof (and there's not a lot to begin with). IIRC one of the others I saw had heavy bars fitted just inside the bottom of both doors to strengthen the body, which looked a bit ignorant when the doors were open.

The bar in the middle provides very little support. The Tbars have more strengthening in the sills to offset the roof wobble.

Paul woods will know more, hopefully he will respond as he has cut the roof off an old car of his to make a convertible.

I quite like it :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Re: T-Bar without the T??

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes the T-bags have more chassis strength so that joiner is doing very little. On a sunroof model it's a different story, the roof is an integral part of the cars overall rigidity.

Things to bear in mind, your roof panels won't fit anymore, they slide into that centre piece, so you would need to make a custom roof panel, either one piece or two pieces that interlock somehow.

Good luck sealing that though, they leak bad enough as it is, hence why i call them T-bags. :D
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

to be honest Paul, given that the majority of T-Bar leaks stem from the centre section I reckon a one-piece roof would actually be an improvement!! the centre part shears its bolts as soon as the chassis flexes, then the water leaks in underneath it. the only other common leakage point is through the side seals which is less of a nuisance because it doesnt drip onto the seats! cutting out the centre is probably a genuine solution to leaky T-Bars lol.

personally il probably just get mine welded shut soon! or buy a sunroof model.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

These apparently came straight from the factory like this. Jinxy had some literature about them, as I understand it these were designed to copy the X19 more closely with the fully removable roof. Not sure how many pieces it is in when it comes apart.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

Tiamat wrote:These apparently came straight from the factory like this. Jinxy had some literature about them, as I understand it these were designed to copy the X19 more closely with the fully removable roof. Not sure how many pieces it is in when it comes apart.
I was going to say, the band of metalwork on the top endge of the windscreen looks much wider than I ever remember polishing (I oculd be mistake due to the angle of the photo of course) making it look like more than a 'trivial' conversion. Not that cutting bits of your roof out can ever be considered trivial. :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

to be honest Paul, given that the majority of T-Bar leaks stem from the centre section I reckon a one-piece roof would actually be an improvement!!

That's actually a very valid point Jim!
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

Here is the link to more pictures of this German custom MR2.
http://www.erebuni.de/galerie/TOYOTA%20 ... %20silber/
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I produce the front and rear bumpers from that car, in my opinion they look :thumleft: , they're on the V8 too.
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

Paul how much do you sell the back bumper for and do you have to do any metal bashing?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Pm'd
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Yes I was intereseted in the bumpers as I looked through the pictures but then got side tracked as the slide show went on and I forgot to look at the bumpers. Know what I mean :razz: :oops: :lover:
MartG

Post by MartG »

Boddney wrote: got side tracked as the slide show went on and I forgot to look at the bumpers. Know what I mean :razz: :oops: :lover:

Her name is Irene :wink: ( going by the image names anyway :lol: )
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

More Geman modded cars http://www.erebuni.de/provotekk.html
what's it with the girls?
if i asked wor lass to put her heels on and climb onto my car ,she would tell me to *@?* %*f :eye:
Tellso

Post by Tellso »

I love the wheels on that Orange one =P~
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Tina Mahls famous wide arched Mk1, way ahead of its time considering how long ago it was done and what we are doing now, i love that car.
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

mulaz wrote:More Geman modded cars http://www.erebuni.de/provotekk.html
what's it with the girls?
if i asked wor lass to put her heels on and climb onto my car ,she would tell me to *@?* %*f :eye:

You should ask my missus mulaz, she love draping herslf over cars for pictures. It's a right gas. HEHE. Saucy minx :tongue:
Perhaps we could have a sexiest MR2 and wife pic competion at JAE next year??? No sorry, getting carried away again. Lets get back to thread :whistle:
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

I'm liking the look of having two colour coded wind foils on the wiper arms.
I always thought it looked odd with just one.
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

Anyone have an idea of the wheel tyre size on this car?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”