Hel braided brake lines

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KoLaBoTTle

Hel braided brake lines

Post by KoLaBoTTle »

Anyone used the Hel brake lines?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 0s604p3853

Much cheaper than goodridge etc but is it worth paying the extra? :-k
Ickyketseddie

Re: Hel braided brake lines

Post by Ickyketseddie »

On all the cars i've had i've always thought braided hoses were worth every penny. Never used that brand before but can't see why there should be anything wrong with them?
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

what advantage do they offer exactly ?
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Ickyketseddie

Post by Ickyketseddie »

Supposedly rubber hoses can expand when under heavy breaking causing less effective breaking, more so if the hoses are older. To be honest i've only ever replaced mine when a rubber one has failed since i'd have thought the braided ones would last alot better. The brakes have always felt sharp and responsive after but its not out of the question to say that if i needed a hose replacing in the first place....
KoLaBoTTle

Post by KoLaBoTTle »

Going to have to replace pads and discs soon anyway, Hel are rated as good if not better than goodridge for motorbikes just not sure on cars lol
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i have one make up, but did not have time to put on when trial fit
tubbyone

Post by tubbyone »

One thing to check is wether the rears come with the bracket that bolts to the chassis as part of the hose. If not, you may need to make your own bracked. I just fitted a set of braided hoses I bought from Rogue which did come with the bracket.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

done a set today. All very nice, apart from no bracket on the rear to fit to the chassis. Not particularly needed for the MoT however we fit a little 'P' clip to hold them nice and tight.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

KoLaBoTTle wrote:Anyone used the Hel brake lines?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 0s604p3853

Much cheaper than goodridge etc but is it worth paying the extra? :-k

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122772

Yeah, much cheaper, nearly £6 :lol:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
8balls

Post by 8balls »

I bought one set - all the fixings are very fragile plasticky crap. I drive my 2 only during summers, but I quess some subzero temperatures whould brake the fixings quite fast.

Also, since the car is to take some track abuse I just got got set of proper OEMs instead. Dont waste your money...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I bought some braided hoses from somewhere else, and they're fine. Weren't Goodridge, they were a bit cheaper I think (£90 for all four), but I can't remember the make. I have the stickers they came with, I have Wool in my head (not literally).
MarkR32

Post by MarkR32 »

got a set to fit this weekend along with everything else ..
they look like a good set, dont know what the post about plastic fittings is all about considering they are metal ???

lines themselves look fine just as luke says there no rear bracket to hold the line
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Looks like I actually paid more than the Goodridges :oops:

And it was Woolford

http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/prod ... o=BHFSSMR2
xanthus400

Post by xanthus400 »

ive got them on my bike and had no problems at all been on for about 5 years now and made a vast improvement :thumleft:
Torero

Post by Torero »

toxo wrote:http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122772

Yeah, much cheaper, nearly £6 :lol:

I bought these in a GB on another forum, should be with me soon and fitted before the end of the month,.

I'll update you guys on the difference from stoc and VFM.
Ste2

Post by Ste2 »

Skywalker wrote:done a set today. All very nice, apart from no bracket on the rear to fit to the chassis. Not particularly needed for the MoT however we fit a little 'P' clip to hold them nice and tight.

ditto this - it is really quite annoying when they are advertised as upgrade from OEM and you have to do a ghetto fix to secure them properly.

A pair of brackets and bolts to fit the OEM holes would cost pennys, poor show from HEL really.

also the hoses are free too move through the plastic 'stay' clip that hooks to the shock, which again isnt ideal. tie wrap might help but again- why should I have to!.

if replacing break lines - be really careful removing the old ones from the copper break pipes. particulaly at the back cos running a new pipe the full lenght of the car....well.... not good.
Torero

Post by Torero »

Ste2 wrote:A pair of brackets and bolts to fit the OEM holes would cost pennys, poor show from HEL really.
I agree that the kit should come complete but it looks as if some creative engineering is needed.

Can you give us an idea of what brackets and fixings are required. I would much rather have the parts to hand and do the job only once and do it properly.

Thanks,

John.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”