Breakdown last night - fuel or cam timing?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Re: Breakdown last night - fuel or cam timing?

Post by Tiamat »

First of all, check your engine as there are two types of injectors, green and pink from memory.

The plugs on them are not interchangeable.

If it is the pink ones, well then, drop me a PM with your address and I'll post you down some, try them and see if they make a difference.

Got a set of four in a drawer here that were ok when they were taken off the vehicle.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
MartG

Post by MartG »

Unlikely for all 4 injectors to pack in at the same time though. The way it starts, runs for a few seconds then stops I'd be suspecting something like the circuit opening relay :-k
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

Ok thanks - I'm sure it has green ones unfortunately.

I will check electrical feed and resistance this evening if possible.

The idea that it starts briefly running on the cold-start injector only is plausible but this only happens once or twice after the car has been left for a while, otherwise it just cranks over with nothing happening.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Easiest way to check whether the injectors are doing anything is to unplug the cold start injector (to remove it from the equation) and crank it with no plugs in. If there's fuel coming out you'll smell it!
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

Bridged the terminals in the diagnosis port this evening with ignition on but no sound of pump. Disconnected cold start injector and no sight of petrol. Disconnected fuel line to fuel rail and no fuel there either! Strange as fuel definately pumped out the previous time I disconnected it and cranked the engine though when I changed the fuel filter, the fuel merely leaked out at the bottom rather than sprayed out although I had in caution pulled the 15A fuse.

So maybe it's the pump or the wiring to the pump after all!
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

Bridged the posts in the diagnostic port again yesterday and I could hear the pump for a few seconds but then nothing. Dismantled the interior and checked for power going to the pump all ok. So I guess it's pump replacement time! :cry:

Other than Toyota £££'s, where's the best place to buy one?
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

1000 PR wrote:Bridged the posts in the diagnostic port again yesterday and I could hear the pump for a few seconds but then nothing. Dismantled the interior and checked for power going to the pump all ok. So I guess it's pump replacement time! :cry:

Other than Toyota £££'s, where's the best place to buy one?

There is another option.

If you get an inline pump, it will save dropping the tank etc. just put it inline and it should pull the fuel through the old pump. You will probably need a fuel pressure regulator though.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

The other option is to have a word with Jaspa and see what he is doing with the one on the car he is breaking!
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Tiamat wrote:The other option is to have a word with Jaspa and see what he is doing with the one on the car he is breaking!

I dont want to sound off. But dropping a fuel tank is a really really crap job in a mk1, if I was going to the effort of dropping the tank to replace the pump, I wouldnt want to put a 2nd hand one in, because how long will it last?

But it would be the cheapest option by far :thumleft:
MartG

Post by MartG »

cartledge_uk wrote: dropping a fuel tank is a really really crap job in a mk1,

Definitely agree with that - done it twice now, the second time was a lot easier as the engine was out of the car making it easier to get to the pipework :whistle:

Go for an inline pump - relatively easy to plumb in and can be powered from the original fuel pump wiring
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

Thanks - a great idea. The standard system has a pressure regulator already built in doesn't it?

A real myriad of pumps available. Has anyone a recommendation? According to the BGB the fuel pressure is supposed to be between 38-44psi so is the pump pressure I should look for?

Maybe:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SYTEC-LINE-HIGH-P ... 3f75c8[url]

or:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Line-Fuel-Injecti ... 2a098b6030[/url]
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

cartledge_uk wrote:
Tiamat wrote:The other option is to have a word with Jaspa and see what he is doing with the one on the car he is breaking!

I dont want to sound off. But dropping a fuel tank is a really really crap job in a mk1, if I was going to the effort of dropping the tank to replace the pump, I wouldnt want to put a 2nd hand one in, because how long will it last?

But it would be the cheapest option by far :thumleft:

Well you never know, mine is still the original one, I have checked the paperwork, thats covered over 222,222 miles. All depends on the pump.

Also all depends on your budget!
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

SORTED!

My in-line fuel pump install-:

So it was the dying fuel pump that was the cause of the breakdown after all but the new in-line one I fitted at the weekend works a treat. The noise of the fuel pump might be annoying as this is quite buzzy. Also slightly concerned about any fuel leak spraying fuel straight onto a hot exhaust manifold but at last the car is going again now and I can fit an original in-tank pump at a later date.

:)
jimi

Post by jimi »

Well done, I'm glad you got to the bottom of the problem :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”