turbo not spinning

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

simpson_eh

turbo not spinning

Post by simpson_eh »

at the garage earlier with chargecooler taken off engine was started ready for the power fc learning stage, engine was idleing when the turbo stoppped spooling it wasnt revved it was just idleing and stopped

this turbo has only done 1k miles from new during run in max boost was 6psi for the whole duration

what could make this happen just by being sat there doing nothing ???

its a fensport gt28 turbo
tubby_tony

Re: turbo not spinning

Post by tubby_tony »

I think you need to explain and give a bit more detail of scenario. You would not here a turbo spool up on tick over and what do you mean by the charge cooler taken out? How was air piped from turbo through to inlet manifold?
fishy89

Post by fishy89 »

this isnt un normal / common from my experience

i think its down to the fact that the engine is not "flowing" enough exhaust gas on idle to get it going.

i had a td05 on a starlet back in the day and that sat still on idle. revved it, off it went, then slowed and stopped after it had returned to idle..

i dont think you have anything to worry about tbh chap :)

p.s is it roller bearing or journal?

thanks
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

its a ball bearing gt28 and the car was in the garage with the chargecooler core and induction kit off as it was going nowhere, the car was running and you could see the turbo spinning then it just stopped no air coming from it, nothing could have got in the turbo. it literally just stopped and there feels like there is a little play side to side is this normal on a ball bearing turbo.

oil pressure was fine fine surely they dont just give up and hopefully your right about the turbo just on idle and not enough gas to turn it
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

maybe the exhaust side wheel has broken off.
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

im hoping not :(
fishy89

Post by fishy89 »

Yeh my td05 was the same mate. Sometimes would sometimes wouldn't.

If you concerned just drop the tub of and check the turbine is still there lol, but I'm 99.9% convinced your fine :thumleft:

Cheers

Si
fishy89

Post by fishy89 »

Anddddd slight lateral play is fine, it's longitudinal play that is more concerning IMO and indicates wear to thrust bearing bud :) so might be worth giving the comp a little tug before you drop it off if you were to check.. But once again I'd be surprised!

Ta
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

well i know there is no in and out play just seamed weird that it stopped but due to the fact we had to use adapters to get the thing on taking it off is a bloody pain in the ****, always 1 bolt on the down pipe you cant get to lol

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”