Very strange question

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

anthiriad

Very strange question

Post by anthiriad »

Hi can one of you lovely mk1 owners help me out here

I am after the height of a mk1 from the floor to the roof, I am thinking of buying a restoration project but need to know I can fit in it when done :)

Many thanks

Mac
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Re: Very strange question

Post by Tiamat »

Would help more if you put your height in, we have a number of very tall owners who cope.

LimeyMK1 is around 6'2 I think and he copes ok, but by using a smaller steering wheel.

Vashy is even taller, not sure quite how tall, but he has gone down the route of bucket seat and mounted far back, he copes well.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
ikarl

Post by ikarl »

I'm 6ft 5" and tip the scales at 15st 10 (I play rugby and no, I'm not fat :lol: ) and I fit in my mk1 perfectly.

I suppose your dimensions are more important than the cars......it depends where you height is, if you know what I mean. Do you have really long legs or a super long body........ I'd say that although I'm tall my upper body is in proportion to my lower so I fit no probs

my 2p
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

I'm 6'2 and my hair brushes the roofliner which is annoying but I can live with it. I have to sit slightly further down in the chair than is idea tho. The best advice I can give you is that if you're 6'2 or over, go for a T-Bar as you'll have more headroom than my sunroof model.
squariel

Post by squariel »

i'm 5'11" and my head brushes the t bar sunsheilds, but i am very long in the upper body with ickle wickle legs. :lol:
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

im 6'1" and my hair used to brush the T-Bar covers as well. i have my seat fairly reclined, and as back as far as it can then go before the top touches the firewall. i have a 75mm steering wheel extension boss to bring the wheel back to where it should be, and then my legs are at the right angle for the pedals as well. its a perfect driving position setup, and im miles underneath the roof now (because im reclined). i reckon i could be 6'6"+ and still fit comfortably. i dont run t-bar covers though, ive got black vinyl covering the glass to stop light coming in.

so if youre too tall to fit normally you can work around it anyway. the steering wheel extension is a must-have IMO anyway, you can sit in so much better a position with it and free up tons of space for your legs without having to reach for the wheel with your arms.
Tellso

Post by Tellso »

Im 6ft 3 and fit perfectly. I have fairly normal sized torso but rather long legs and find the low seating position really helps.

My previous MK1 had a home made steering wheel extension but Jim, can i ask where you got your 75mm boss extension from?

Cheers mate
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Tellso wrote:Im 6ft 3 and fit perfectly. I have fairly normal sized torso but rather long legs and find the low seating position really helps.

My previous MK1 had a home made steering wheel extension but Jim, can i ask where you got your 75mm boss extension from?

Cheers mate

If you've got an aftermarket wheel then somewhere like demon tweeks will sell extensions which will go between the boss and the wheel. If you're still using the stock one then I doubt there's anything available.
Tellso

Post by Tellso »

Sweet! Cheers, will be aftermarket :thumleft: .
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

got mine from Techno Toy Tuning in the US
http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=146
anthiriad

Post by anthiriad »

Tbh the height isnt the issue as I am not over 6ft, its the seat reclining that I need to get right,

I had an accident years ago that left me slightly shorter and lighter then I would have been if I managed to evade the accident and because of this I almost lay down flat when I drive.

I have special seats made to keep me as upright as possible but these are very big buggers :(

They fit in my mk2 rev 1 tin top very well but always wanted a good t bar mk 1 :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”