20 year old red paint + a LOT of effort =

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

g.lewarne

20 year old red paint + a LOT of effort =

Post by g.lewarne »

hope you like the result as much as i do!

achieved with meguires 3 stage, after being hand prepped with manually applied G3.

Lots and lots of meguires gold class to finish off! :D

CAUTION - BIG PHOTOS!

-------------------------------------------------

Image[/img]

yes, i know there is a small dent in the passenger door. was like it when we got it a few months ago. will be sorted in the body shop soon!

i could not for the life of me get the wing mirrors to end up with the same level of shine, i think its a slightly different paint for the plastic :(

and original 14" alloys as well!, however, these will be replaced with momo corse 16" soon (after chirstmas)

one last thing, if any of you are like me and a bit obsessive with detailing, i will happly make a recording of water beading if anybody is interested. it will rain soon (typical after i just finished) and can pop out with my umbrella!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: 20 year old red paint + a LOT of effort =

Post by tonigmr2 »

Very impressive chap, that looks like new. :shock:
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

thankyou!

only when you get really close can you see any of the permenant blemishes. there is a little bit of peeling laquer on the bumper that i cannot for the life of me remove, and some wierd sort of staining on offside rear wing, but you can only see then when REALLY close hehe

other than that, im well chuffed!
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

was it badly faded ? mine is going bad really fast, need to do something about it - give us a quick walkthrough :)
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

cvega666 wrote:was it badly faded ? mine is going bad really fast, need to do something about it - give us a quick walkthrough :)

yeah it was nearly pink! hehe

i dont have before / during / after photos im afraid but here is a step by step of what i did:

i dont have an electric polisher, so it was all done by hand. I do have a "various pads velcroed to a handle" type thing though that i used.

Stage 1:
Using a foam pad, very damp (not dripping) apply a big gloop of G3 to the pad and splodge it around the panel. then start rubbing, and rubbing, and rubbing, and rubbing..... When happy with the finish on a panel, wipe off exceess and move to next panel. Make sure you keep the foram pad wet. i found circular motions the best at this stage.

Stage 2:
with all panels G3'd by hand, wash car (i used a jet wash at local garage to make sure i got the G3 out of all the nooks and crannies) and dry, thoroughly

Stage 3:
Clay bar, wash, clay bar again, wash again

Stage 4:
Apply Meguires stage 1 paint cleaner, then polish with Meguires stage 2
(i polished each panel at least twice, use long side to side movements at this stage), then washed and dried again

Stage 5:
Used Simonize Diamond Hard polish, two coats over entire car. side to side movements. buff to the best shine possible with a microfibre

Stage 6:
Meguires Stage 3 carnauba wax (its a pure wax - no polishing agents). Apply with a soft cloth (not a pad!), something like a microfibre / clean duster is fine. really work it into the paint. do 3 panels at a time and then buff , in the order you did them. Allow to cure for a couple of hours then wax again, then again, then again.

It is much better to do the polishing and waxing stages in the shade!

Stage 7:
Applied Autoglym glass polish to all windows, buffed, then applied carnauba wax to side and rear windows. I dont like water beading on my windscreen, so i regularly T-Cut it to remove any wax residues and keep it chemically clean. T-Cut does not scratch glass!

You will see that i didnt spend any significant money to achieve this, each meguires "stage" is about £8 at halfords, and the simonize polish is about £4 at tesco. just need a lot of cl;oths / dusters. i did all this in a day! (i have brilliant arm endurance due to my job)

after you are happy, it should be a simple case of wash / wax top up when required!

hope this helps :)
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

is that all done by hand, very impressive
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

jasongtr wrote:is that all done by hand, very impressive

yes, all me! no machines!
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

in that case awesome
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

frak me that's damned impressive! Good effort sir :clap:
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

allan welsh wrote:frak me that's damned impressive! Good effort sir :clap:

thank you both! this is the 2nd total treatments i have done (only G3 once tho) and im getting there i think!

im rather handy with the spanners if anyone in the south west wants to trade some work for the use of a machine buffer :thumleft:
Torero

Post by Torero »

Excellent job and astounding that you did it by hand.

Looks as good as new for £12 :clap:
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

wow!. excellent. I'll attempt to do that next weekend if weather is not total poo. thanks for the walkthrough! inspiring - my red NA is pink :>
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

cvega666 wrote:wow!. excellent. I'll attempt to do that next weekend if weather is not total poo. thanks for the walkthrough! inspiring - my red NA is pink :>

this video explains everything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

you can buy clay bars quite cheaply. if you dont have and quick detailer, Mr Sheen (the aerosol) is just as good lol

seriously, use some detailer spray though when doing a clay bar!

apparently, clay bar is nothing more than plastercine, i have yet to experiment with this cheaper alternative.
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Brilliant job. I've got a white turbo which it turns out is now actually grey when you Tcut any other panel. Must get onto it soon.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”