Crap forum software.

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rubber Chicken

Re: Crap forum software.

Post by Rubber Chicken »

I was having this conversation the other day but when we become paying members and we pay annually,what happens with that money?
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Rubber Chicken wrote:I was having this conversation the other day but when we become paying members and we pay annually,what happens with that money?

Website software maintenance (phpBB license)
Hosting (UNIX hosting)
Server maintenace (hand in hand with above)
Event Organising (Tickets, pitches, prepaying etc)
Event Merchandise (Banners, flags, marquees)
Shop stock
Stickers

etc
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Rubber Chicken wrote:I was having this conversation the other day but when we become paying members and we pay annually,what happens with that money?

That's probably a question for a different thread but I'll give you a brief answer here.

IMOC is a not-for-profit organisation - no one takes a wage (we are all volunteers!) and 100% of the money is invested back into the club - for example we subsidise the facilities provided at JAE, so club money goes towards the marquee/generator/hog roast etc. We have some other important things to cover like public liability insurance, so that if one of our flags falls on your car at an event and smashes the window we're covered for it etc. Sadly some of it has to go towards legal costs as the club is a limited company (which became a nessecity when someone threatened to sue us - otherwise committee members would've been held personally liable for any incurred costs) so we have to have an accountant etc to ensure we maintain our non-profit (and therefore non-tax-liable) status. As well as that the site is big enough and popular enough to require dedicated server hosting rather than the usual virtualhost status that many smaller forums have.

Basically it all goes towards making sure the club sticks around for the future.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

I was expecting an answer around something like that but just didn't know, not complaining or quizzing,just curious that was all.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

some forums are profit making due to ads and traders and have free membership, they also have all of the benifits listed above
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

As John mentioned above, every single last penny of the subscription fee money is ploughed directly back into the club. This year alone, it has enabled us to purchase some new flags, new flag poles, and a new gazebo that made its first outing at Japfest this year. It also covers things like stamps for sending out tickets etc.
And of course, not forgetting JAE, our biggest expenditure of the year, marquee, furniture, generator, lighting, coal for the BBQ, and the tasty Hog Roast that we have had the last 4 years!

IMOC does not belong to one single person, nor does it provide any form of income for any of the people involved in it. I am very proud and honoured to say that. :thumleft:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

Scott Barton wrote:and the tasty Hog Roast that we have had the last 4 years!

Would it not be better to get a new one? 4 years with the same hog?...or we relating to a forum member here?
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Rubber Chicken wrote:
Scott Barton wrote:and the tasty Hog Roast that we have had the last 4 years!

Would it not be better to get a new one? 4 years with the same hog?...or we relating to a forum member here?

:oldtongue:

:lol:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
michael

Post by michael »

Any news on the new website?
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Its being sorted, literally.

Not at a proper stage of migrating everything across, but I understand we are insome form of testing stage.

Given that this forum does work, the emphasis is on taking the right amount of time to get the new one sorted so we are not patching or having it go down.

There will be news soon.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

I hope it doesn't turn into the mr2oc forums because I think the new layout for that forums is utter poo! Scatty with stuff all over the place. I love the imoc forums because there so easy to navigate. Even if I didn't own an mr2 god forbid I'd still come here as it's an all round interesting place.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

michael wrote:Any news on the new website?

Michael, Ben was working on this, but in the last few weeks I have taken over as the lead. I've spent many a happy hour on the phone to India going through all the issues in order that we can get the new site exactly how we want it.

There is a lot to sort out, we are getting there. Things like permissions have enabled a bit of fun and games for the developers. It's hard to put a timescale on it, but we are not that far away, it's just all the customisation of the vbulletin workings that is taking the time.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
michael

Post by michael »

India won then, no shock there I guess ;)

Looking forward to seeing the results, given the time they have had to learn new skills at the expense of IMOC it should be impressive.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Well, I certainly hope so. I've been working hard to get the fundamental issues addressed such as permissions which is vital. Obviously IMOC is quite quirky in it's setup so it's not made the transition to Vbulletin particularly easy, but that's what we are paying for and we will get it delivered.

So far permissions are on their way to being sorted. Colour scheme needs sorting and we are trying to work out the whole garage thing, which is a bit of a PITA.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

fprget garages just use the exhisting link style you have at the min to take you to there blog on the car instead

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

loudandproud205 wrote:fprget garages just use the exhisting link style you have at the min to take you to there blog on the car instead

The whole point of taking time with the migration is to make sure its all done properly from day one. There will ofcourse be teething issues, always will be, but we want them minimised.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Is this change going to make the whole site bandwith hungry?

I spend a lot of my time offshore with p1$$ poor internet connections and this forum is a breeze to negotiate with a slow connection. mr2oc.co.uk however is a nightmare to load up and view. So really wouldn't like to see IMOC following the same path

Lee
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

uglee wrote:Is this change going to make the whole site bandwith hungry?

I spend a lot of my time offshore with p1$$ poor internet connections and this forum is a breeze to negotiate with a slow connection. mr2oc.co.uk however is a nightmare to load up and view. So really wouldn't like to see IMOC following the same path

Lee

You'll have to wait to hear from one of the more techy bods on that one. Have seen the new forum it looks good and simple.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

uglee wrote:Is this change going to make the whole site bandwith hungry?

Lee

Shouldn't really be any difference from how it is now in terms of usage. We have specified maximum page load times.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yeah I get a load of this at work too, except no one load tests the apps to see how they behave under load. Maximum load times mean nothing without criteria...

I hope it works out ok and while I believe you have to move with the times I can only hope this place doesn't turn into an un-navigable snail.

Return to “Club News and Announcements”