Toyo T1R's...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

J-1

Toyo T1R's...

Post by J-1 »

Who sells Toyo T1R's the cheapest?
Is there a good (better?) alternative for the same or not much more money?
It's for standard Toyota 'flat 5' alloys.
John145

Re: Toyo T1R's...

Post by John145 »

paul port

Post by paul port »

I honestly have to say the T1R is the worst tyre I have ever had on the MR2...

Far better and Cheaper were the Marrangoni's I had on last. Unfortunately you cannot get the correct fitments for Zeta-Linea or Mythos in 15's, but they do have other summer tyres I would suggest you consider if on budget
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

What is a good tyre in standard mk2 rev2+ sizes?
sticks

Post by sticks »

paul port wrote:I honestly have to say the T1R is the worst tyre I have ever had on the MR2...

Far better and Cheaper were the Marrangoni's I had on last. Unfortunately you cannot get the correct fitments for Zeta-Linea or Mythos in 15's, but they do have other summer tyres I would suggest you consider if on budget

ill second that.the wheels now feel like there not attatched to the car its all over the place.never again will i get them.
CardHore

Post by CardHore »

I have to say that i run T1Rs on my 16s all round. Im running ohlins and braces over and under but the grip is phenominal on my car. My friend is running those electronic adj newer teins all round and the cornering capabilities are near on par with him and hes running 17s with far wider tires. Does it depend on the cars setup to which tyre suits best?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

on stock 15s i hear they not great due to the tyre roll/flex when cornering.

but on 17+ plus i think there great....
Last edited by jimGTS on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I run tr1s on 16'' wheels and have found them to be good.

I did 8 laps round the nur on tyres which were well run in. I didn't find i had a lack of grip.

I haven't tried any others though, but i have just bought another set of tr1s for the rear as i am pleased with the performance.

I bet there is better tyres out there though but the price will reflect this.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

so is the general consensus not to buy the 15 t1r's ?
I'm looking at replacing rear tyres soon and T1R's were on top of the list..

(not changing wheels atm)
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Depends mate.

As winter is coming up i've got the tr1s as it won't be getting pushed hard at all. My fronts are not worn very worn so ratehr than get a full set, i'm just going to renew the rears.

I am however going to get a set of expensive track orientated rubber for when i go back to the nur. I can't fing wait.
RST

Post by RST »

I can't fault T-1R's at all at the price but never fitted them on 15's which seems to be where most of the horror stories come from. Best price for me is local non-big name tyre fitters to be honest. No point listing the names I guess as they're local fitters to me.
Marf

Post by Marf »

I'm concerned about the soft sidewall on these. I need 2x 225/50/15 and I'm now thinking about going for something else.

Not sure what though :-k
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

sticks wrote:
paul port wrote:I honestly have to say the T1R is the worst tyre I have ever had on the MR2...

ill second that.the wheels now feel like there not attatched to the car its all over the place.never again will i get them.

This will go once they are scubbed in. My last 2 on the rear made the car like it had flats. Its fine now and grips great. :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I'm going to agree. I'm on perhaps my 4th or 5th set of 15" T1-Rs (225/50 and 205/50) and once scrubbed in (after say 300 miles or so) I think they're great and importantly for my daily driver work really well in all conditions. They do feel hideous when first on though but you can combat that with increased pressures till they're scrubbed.

R.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Good to hear some positive feedback on 225/50 :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

Toyo's have always taken me 4-500 miles of "normal driving" to break in on 17's. First time I had them I thought they were ditch finders and terrified the life out of me, after that they were great. Have to say on my first MR2 meet as a newbie I went round quetly checking tyres and just about eveyone running on stock 15's had Toyo's -I did ask at the time, they're very highly rated on another forum.

Are Micelin Pilot Exalto's(?) still available? When I bought mine it had a standard set-up and came with a brand newset of these with the makers marks still on them. They were great for me on standard weheels / suspension, but unfortunately the rears lasted less than 8,000miles and replacements in the 225 width at the time were permanently on back-order, part of the reason I changed wheels. Tyre fitters were telling me they were a great tyre for the application, but wear very quick.
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Ive always used T1-Rs on my 15's they do feel nicer with a higher tyre pressure as they are a soft tyre.

I run 38psi rear 34psi front myself.

Fantastic grip though!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

orrible tyres, I bought 17's after the last set i had on the std wheels but some folks love them. It's a feel thing and it varies from person to person :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”