Clutch replacement quality

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheBaker

Clutch replacement quality

Post by TheBaker »

About nearly time to replace my slipping clutch and looking at clutches on ebay.

Is there actually a difference between qualitys of the basic standard replacement clutches??

Most I've seen on ebay are about 70/80 but I've just seen this one for 40(50 inc p&p)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-CAMRY-CARI ... 563ec6d356

Funds are tight so the cheaper the better but then I'd rather pay a little bit more for one that's not naff and going to wear/break prematurely...

So yeah, anyone used the clutch above or reckon it's decent?? It seems a bit generic being able to fit many cars, is that the same for the standard Toyota clutch??

Or should I just go for an exedy replacement?

Alot of questions but if anyone can enlighten me, please do. :D

Thanks. :)
Joey

Re: Clutch replacement quality

Post by Joey »

Personally i'd stick with OEM. The clutch is the cheap part, it's the labour that costs. Your cheap 50 quid clutch could fall apart in no time. Meaning you end paying to get 2 clutches fitted at a couple of hundred quid a pop. Suddenly your 50 quid clutch isn't the bargain you thought it was
uglee

Post by uglee »

I'd go with an Exedy, not much more than that on Ebay and they were an original OEM supplier to Toyota for MR2 clutches.
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

Just wondering is a 224 diameter clutch a correct size for the MR2 as most seem to be 225 but like the one above is 224 and also found a fensport one one thta is 224.

What's the difference really other than the millimeter?

Looks like I will probably get the above one, can't afford anything else right now and the clutch is really on it's way out.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

cheapest i can find for the turbo is triple that :(

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en

What do people make of this clutch?
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

loudandproud205 wrote:cheapest i can find for the turbo is triple that :(

Prob not the best but:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-2-0-Tu ... 1e5aa9ded6
paul port

Post by paul port »

Have you asked a Toyota dealer what they charge for an original part?
You may be surprised... for older vehicles the dealer can be very competitive...

I found it cheaper to buy a wheel bearing from Toyota for example than it was from Blue-Print / Motor Factor!

My stock Toyota clutch did me proud - Sold the car with 175K miles on it, and there was still no sign of slip. Frankly unless you are planning to shift the car in under a year, or have significant Boost plans (I was running ~280bhp) then you can't go wrong with stock.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

can get a oe exeddy clutch kit for £65 apprently trade. prob better than buying a luk one
JJ

Post by JJ »

A little advice....

Just so its not a complete waste of time... as the clutch has been slipping, potentially the flywheel will have hotspots all over it where the surface may have become uneven... its possible that its scored too due to the clutch rivets making contact...

So budget a flywheel skimming in that or a replacement flywheel.... !

Flywheel is a like changing your brake pads on your car with heavily scored discs.. it'll work, but not as effective ! :thumleft:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

JJ wrote:A little advice....

Just so its not a complete waste of time... as the clutch has been slipping, potentially the flywheel will have hotspots all over it where the surface may have become uneven... its possible that its scored too due to the clutch rivets making contact...

So budget a flywheel skimming in that or a replacement flywheel.... !

Flywheel is a like changing your brake pads on your car with heavily scored discs.. it'll work, but not as effective ! :thumleft:

Interesting, how much does getting the flywheel skimmed cost and is it an on the spot/quick thing?

Also, I've read that sometimes it's not a good idea to get the flywheel skimmed? But I guess I'll see on visual examination.

Pretty sure my clutch is slipping due to oil contamination.

Cheers.
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

Recieved the one in the original post yesterday.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Howcome there are no springs, does this mean it's an 'unsprung' clutch??(pics of unsprung clutches I've seen don't even have the 4 rectangles round the centre) The bits where the springs should be are like rubber, is that a normal kind of clutch?

Emailed them to confirm it's the right clutch and they say it is, just seems odd as all the other clutches I've seen have springs, even the cheapy 65 quid Mikayo ones.

And yes I know you get what you pay for, money is tight and hopefully it will last for a couple of 1000 miles.. Got to be better than how mine is at the mo. :?

Cheers for any insight.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”