HKS SSQV problem

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Slarty

Re: HKS SSQV problem

Post by Slarty »

Do you have a boost gauge in the cabin? If so, it's likely to feed that (assuming it's a mechanical one of course).

As a test to rule that line out, try replacing that length of pipe with one piece excluding the tee.
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Ah good thnking. There's a gready boost controller set up in the cabn.I can try taking that t bit off and making it a solid pipe but will it not effect the boost?
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Hmm possibly, but only in so much as the EBC won't be getting a reading of the boost. For a short couple of second test, you should be fine.
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Not tried closing off that T section yet but something new to report - Only got about 50miles to 20 quid optimax. Usually get between 80 - 100. Dunno if it's related to the ssqv sounding rank or not
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

sounds like you have a massive leak somewhere then making the car run rich, Get a pressure test done too see where its leaking from.

And are you 100% sure its a Genuine HKS SSQV? Just I noticed your pic shows a universal mount which is usually the same as what the fake ssqv's come with. Also the Fake ssqv's still have HKS badges on them making them look like the real thing and Im 100% sure the badge on the rear of your SSQV is the wrong way around which is making me think its a fake and most likely this is your problem

Genuine SSQV badge on rear (notice how yours is the other way) -

Also theirs other signs in your pic that make me think its a fake. The hump / fin on the top center is low down and the badges dont look raised up enough -

Another thing I noticed is the bolts on yours are chrome / polished looking where as the genuine ones bolts seem to match the colour of the dumpvalve

sorry to say this but I think you have been conned into buying a fake ssqv or your car has came with a fake ssqv :( Overall I realy think the problem is with the dump valve. the fakes work for a while then break

If you could put your ssqv onto another car to try it then that would help find out if it is the dump valve
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Think I jumped the gun on the fuel thing as the light still hasn't came on. As for the hks being a fake it does look pretty old hence bolts being not as chrome but it came with the car so not that bothered. Also I took it apart so could explain the fin not sitting right. Going to try n put my mates one on and see if that sorts it.
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

*Edit

double post
Last edited by Craig_MR2T on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Tried blocking off the tube to the boost controller and it didnt achive anything bar making the gage or controller stop moving.

I'm starting to think it's not the ssqv that's the problem but something else as I put the standard bov back on again without the resirc pipe and it still sounded limp.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

What boost does your boost guage say you are hitting? Are all your IC Pipes done up tight?

I wouldnt rule out the Dump valve yet, try and test another SSQV (or another brand dump valve), The old Stock Toyota one you are trying might be seized up / not in 100% condition (it is a 16+ Year old dump valve now when you think about it)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”