HKS SSQV problem

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Craig_MR2T

HKS SSQV problem

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Hello chaps,

Tried to find something through the search that could shed some light but not had much luck.

Basically the HKS SSQV on my Rev 3 turbo has went from making a strong healthym Ptsssshhhhhhh to a really dull pwffffft. And when you give it the beans it hardly makes any noise at all.

Checked out all the pipes and all seems fine. Apparently I heard something inside them can become stuck?

Is there anything I can do to start trying to find the source of the problem? As far as Im aware its still boosting ok according to the boost controler

Any help appreciated. Also feel free to move this if required. Wasnt sure where to post #-o

Thanks
Craig_MR2T

Re: HKS SSQV problem

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Tried to look again but rain is a bit of a problem. All pipes are def on there tight however
ej2_sir

Post by ej2_sir »

I just stripped my Blitz one today for no real reason (boredom :oops: ) There pretty simple to strip. Just undo the allen bolts and its pretty much a piston, a big spring and a surclip to hold it all together. Heres a pic of an unknown brand dump valve I whipped apart.
This one has a rubber seal that, well seals it where as the Blitz is just a brass piston. Take the HKS apart, you may find the rubber seal has torn or if its a blitz style one the piston may have corroded. If its rubber you could prob make a new seal out of say a bike inner tube? If its piston type just clean the corrosion away and get it moving freely.
adam_ep82

Post by adam_ep82 »

am i right in saying the ssqv is a diaphram not a spring and piston?
adam_ep82

Post by adam_ep82 »

did a quick search have a look at this if your attempting to take it appart.

http://www.mazdamp3.com/vbb225/showthre ... n-HKS-SSQV
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Mine looks like a newer one to that and don't think it has any adjustment screws. Will try take it apart n see what's what. Failing that the standard bov will have to go back on.

This is my one I think
Last edited by Craig_MR2T on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Right well i took what I could apart and everything seems to move as it should. Also i tried putting the standard BOV back on and it still doesnt sound as loud as it shoud.

Im completely stumped. Whats my next port of call? Like i said it still seems to boost ok just the blow off isnt as loud (used to be a really loud sharp noise now its just a dull flutter) and can barly be heard when giving it full whack
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Bump. Still not sounding great. Obviously it's one problem thats not gona fix itself :(
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Assuming the "standard one" is in its recirc position? It's not going to sound overly loud. However, if you have the standard BOV venting to atmosphere then you do indeed have a problem.

The only thing that I can think of right now is the vaccum line feeding the dump side of the valve. Check it's not split or blocked/crushed. Is there a one way valve fitted in this line? Is it the right way around?

A photo of the instal (assuming the above isn't the fault) might prove helpfull :)
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Good shout. I've just left the hks on for the moment. I'll get a picture of the set up up tomorrow.

When I did put the standard bov on I left the re surc pipe off letting it vent into the engine bay and it still sounded feeble.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Slarty wrote:
The only thing that I can think of right now is the vaccum line feeding the dump side of the valve. Check it's not split or blocked/crushed. Is there a one way valve fitted in this line? Is it the right way around?

+1 to this

Sounds like a vac leak to me. I have an SSQV and it sounds really flat if I forget to connect the vac line (has happened a couple of times now :oops: )
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

adam_ep82 wrote:am i right in saying the ssqv is a diaphram not a spring and piston?

And yes, you are right in saying that :)

I believe that the boost holds the SSQV closed and when boost turns to vacuum, it opens the diaphragm, hence if there is no vacuum, the diaphragm will kind of flop open when between gear changes, hence the softer psshh.

But I could be wrong.....
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Well it used to be proper loud, even on really low boost when you just put your foot down for a bit then lifted off.

I'll get a photo up of the engine bay tomorrow. It sounds so crap now compared to what it used to. Hope the hks isnt bu88ered.

Cheers
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

*Edit

Double post
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

One of the ways I use to check for vac leaks is:

Take the vac feed off the SSQV. The engine note should change if you have introduced a new vac leak.

If there is a vac leak elsewhere, the engine note won't change much.

Also, stick your thumb over the end of the pipe and you should feel suction.

Doesn't help you find the vac leak, but helps to identify if you have one....
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

is your SSQV a genuine HKS one or a Ebay copy?
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Its a genuine HKS one. All the vacume hoses look fine but Heres is some pictres I took today

And heres a quick video

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=208z991&s=7
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Don't think there is a vac leak as I took the small pipe of the ssqv and the engine note changed a lot and and there was plenty suction. Any other ideas? Lol
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

The red vaccum line that feeds the BOV, what's tee'd into it?
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Slarty wrote:The red vaccum line that feeds the BOV, what's tee'd into it?

I wondered that myself. Last rev3 never had that pipe but this is a rev4 engine so wasn't sure. It goes off and thru the hole in the bulk head down behind the induction kit.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”