Going to start assembling my chargecooler parts, bit of help required

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bluesmoke

Going to start assembling my chargecooler parts, bit of help required

Post by bluesmoke »

I don't know if there's a specific year which should be used or if a genuine Fiat item gives better performance, lower temps etc. but I saw this going fairly cheap and have considered getting it bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-CINQUECENTO- ... 415245231d

Also, on this thread here:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... er&start=0

he has this list of parts. Are they all necessary?:

Parts bought so far:
From Toyota
1 x Bottle of ForLife- T08889-80002
2 x Bolts to bolt down CC core - T90119-08790
2 x Long Throttle Body Bolts w/washer - T90119-08870
4 x Throttle Sock Bolts - T91511-B0825
1 x Throttle Sock - T17861-88480
1 x Accel. Bracket - T78024-88480
1 x Engine Hoist Hook - T12281-88480 (requires modifying)
2 x CC Pump Bolt - T90105-10393

4 x Foglight Bolts - T90075-02717 (had to drill existing ones out)
1 x Throttle Body Support - T17871-88480
1 x CC Expansion Tank + pipework - T16650-74020 - Think I have already got this, so no bigee

From eBay
1 x Fiat Cinquicento Radiator
1 x Fiat Cinquicento Fan Switch (bungs up the hole on the radiator)
Several jubilee clips, I'll inventory these as I go

From Forge Motorsport:
2 x 32mm -> 19mm elbowed reducers
2 x 19mm alloy hose joiners
more jubilee clips that I forgot about when I ordered the eBay lot

From B&Q:
2 x 1m lengths of steel bars. They're about 3-4mm thick and don't like bending in a vice unless they're heated w/a blowtorch or similar.
2 x M6x60mm bolts (for the undertrays - these were labeled #411)
2 x Washers to pad out the above bolts
4 x 6mmx20mm self-tapping screws to attach rad to brackets

From Motorserv:
10m of 19mm ID coolant hose - I googled this, but have not found what I want. Does anybody know where else to source this hose? Does the OD have to be any set size, as I have seen a few 19mm ID pipes elsewhere but with different outer diameters?
Yet more jubilee clips (they were cheap!)

I know the thread linked to is pretty comprehensive, but I wanted to check in case anyone had refined the installation since it was first posted, using any different parts or leaving anything out.

Big thanks in advance for any help offered :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Going to start assembling my chargecooler parts, bit of help required

Post by toxo »

bluesmoke wrote:I don't know if there's a specific year which should be used or if a genuine Fiat item gives better performance, lower temps etc. but I saw this going fairly cheap and have considered getting it bought:

All Fiat Seicento and Cinquicento radiators are the same. The coolant in the chargecooler does not get hot enough to require any better cooling performance from uprated radiators etc - stock Fiat or pattern parts are fine

bluesmoke wrote:Also, on this thread here:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... er&start=0

he has this list of parts. Are they all necessary?:

Parts bought so far:
From Toyota
1 x Bottle of ForLife- T08889-80002 Not nessecary, this is just the coolant that I chose to fill the chargecooler system with. You can use any car coolant, or even water I expect. Better results with better coolant though
2 x Bolts to bolt down CC core - T90119-08790 You don't need either of these, but I used them to secure the core. Otherwise the only things holding it in place were the 2 silicon hoses at either end. Unless you get the celica engine hanger listed further down then you only need 1 of these
2 x Long Throttle Body Bolts w/washer - T90119-08870 Required, unless you have them from the donor Celica that your chargecooler came from
4 x Throttle Sock Bolts - T91511-B0825 Required, unless you have them from the donor Celica that your chargecooler came from
1 x Throttle Sock - T17861-88480 Required, unless you have them from the donor Celica that your chargecooler came from
1 x Accel. Bracket - T78024-88480 Required, unless you have them from the donor Celica that your chargecooler came from or you're going to make your own
1 x Engine Hoist Hook - T12281-88480 (requires modifying) Not required, but you will have to modify or remove the MR2 one which only leaves you with 1 engine hanger, meaning that removing the engine in the future will be a complete ball ache. Also has a mount on it for the chargecooler core to attach to
2 x CC Pump Bolt - T90105-10393 Required unless you already have a suitable solution for mounting the CC pump

4 x Foglight Bolts - T90075-02717 (had to drill existing ones out) You have to remove your foglights to take the crash bar off the front to install the radiator. I've never ever seen all 4 foglight bolts come out in one piece, so I ordered more
1 x Throttle Body Support - T17871-88480 Required, unless you have it from the donor Celica that your chargecooler came from
1 x CC Expansion Tank + pipework - T16650-74020 - Think I have already got this, so no bigee

From eBay
1 x Fiat Cinquicento Radiator Already covered earlier in post
1 x Fiat Cinquicento Fan Switch (bungs up the hole on the radiator) As it says really, there's a whacking great threaded hole in the side of the fiat rad, I bunged it up with this
Several jubilee clips, I'll inventory these as I go

From Forge Motorsport:
2 x 32mm -> 19mm elbowed reducers Required to upsize from the 19mm ID hose to the connectors on the Fiat radiator
2 x 19mm alloy hose joiners To attach the above with
more jubilee clips that I forgot about when I ordered the eBay lot

From B&Q:
2 x 1m lengths of steel bars. They're about 3-4mm thick and don't like bending in a vice unless they're heated w/a blowtorch or similar.
2 x M6x60mm bolts (for the undertrays - these were labeled #411)
2 x Washers to pad out the above bolts
4 x 6mmx20mm self-tapping screws to attach rad to brackets

I can probably help here :lol: I have put an explanation next to each aprt and indicated whether they are 100% nessecary or not.

bluesmoke wrote:
From Motorserv:
10m of 19mm ID coolant hose - I googled this, but have not found what I want. Does anybody know where else to source this hose? Does the OD have to be any set size, as I have seen a few 19mm ID pipes elsewhere but with different outer diameters?

I know the thread linked to is pretty comprehensive, but I wanted to check in case anyone had refined the installation since it was first posted, using any different parts or leaving anything out.

Big thanks in advance for any help offered :thumleft:

19mm ID hose is really common, it's like the standard coolant pipe size on a lot of small to mid size euro cars. That's why I used it! The connections to the chargecooler core and pump are actually 22mm ID but you can't buy that anywhere near as cheaply - it was cheaper and easier to use 19mm hose and 19mm -> 22mm joiners. However you can get the 19mm ID hose onto the 22mm connectors if you boil the ends of the hose, hammer the crap out of them and then cover the hose and connectors in washing up liquid if you don't want to use hose joiners everywhere.

The OD of the hose is irrelevant really, as long as you can fit it under the car. I expect that as long as the ID of 19mm is maintained, the larger the OD the less likely the pipe is to kink :thumleft:

Hope that helps?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Marf

Post by Marf »

toxo wrote:However you can get the 19mm ID hose onto the 22mm connectors if you boil the ends of the hose, hammer the crap out of them and then cover the hose and connectors in washing up liquid if you don't want to use hose joiners everywhere.

We just heated the hose gently until it was soft enough to stretch onto the pump, quicker and easier than faffing around with boiling water and WUL. :)
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Thanks for that, very helpful :thumleft:

I'm not keen on messing about making the hose for so joiners are absolutely fine. I take it they don't cause problems with pressure or flow?

EDIT: Just realised, I saw the ally joiners for the radiator end but had totally missed that I needed to buy 19mm -> 22mm ally joiners for the pump. That's definitely right isn't it? Don't want to miss anything. Thought it might be another set of reducers rather than joiners?
Last edited by bluesmoke on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Nope no problems with either pressure or flow.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You don't need to use ally ones either, some people here have got away with using barbed plastic plumbing joiners. I just didn't fancy clamping jubilee clips down onto them :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

i just used 19mm copper pipe i had lying around made nearly ever joiner out of it lol cheap skate i know
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

bluesmoke wrote:
From Motorserv:
:

Have you ordered this yet? I went with 12 meters and only had about 1 meter left.

If not then its only £2.20 a meter at Halfords (cheaper if you have trade card) -

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65746#dtab

Oh and I just used plastic connectors for fish ponds, worked fine and they were only 60p for straight connector and £1.60 for a right angle connector :)

heres my install -

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=124144

oh are you rev1/2 or Rev3+ ??
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

No, not ordered anything yet. I do have a friend with a Halfrauds trade card so might be better buying there?

My car's Rev 3 Turbo.

Does the Cinquecento radiator have to be a 0.9 or a 1/1 as I think they might be different?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Nah they're all the same rad :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

...is this a '205 CC system because there isn't an "expansion tank" -it's just a "spill pot", the coolant can't go back into the core after it's spilled into the ittle pot. You could use anything there -maybe even just leave it an open ended pipe. The CC on my '205 only dripped once in the time I had it -pretty much when I over filled it after lagging my core.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

We like to fit them, as you get an idea of any coolant lost.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Skywalker wrote:We like to fit them, as you get an idea of any coolant lost.

Especially if the water pipes to the core are the wrong way around :whistle:

Try and get the overflow bottle second hand from the gt4oc.net, the sodding thing is £60+ from Toyota :evil:
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Cheers guys.

Emailed Forge to ask if they do a 19mm 90 degree alloy bend as the guide states the bends in the black piping rubbed on things. I figure a 19mm alloy joiner on the top elbow hose to a bit of black hose, with another 19mm joiner on there going to a 19mm silicone elbow joined to the black piping that goes under the car and a 90 degree 19mm alloy elbow on the bottom elbow reducer would do the job.

Hope that makes sense, I'm dead tired!
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Slarty wrote:
Skywalker wrote:We like to fit them, as you get an idea of any coolant lost.

Especially if the water pipes to the core are the wrong way around :whistle:

Try and get the overflow bottle second hand from the gt4oc.net, the sodding thing is £60+ from Toyota :evil:

I got a core, pump, and overflow/expansion bottle when I bought my CC :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

^^ Lol, I'm sure you could use anything then. £60 from Toyota! Shouldn't surprise me I guess -have a look in Halfrauds, there's a little black pot very similar in shape and size for about £8. Can't remember where I put mine, think it had an extra port in it which you could trim down and block with epoxy and it'd do the same thing?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”