Mk1 Fuel Range

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grendel

Mk1 Fuel Range

Post by Grendel »

What fuel range do the other Mk1 drivers on here get since mine is only 100-140 miles a full tank?

I would of thought with 41 Litres of petrol in a N/A engine would go further?

The car has been tuned to pass the emissions test each MOT otherwise its standard except K&N & Mongoose.
squariel

Re: Mk1 Fuel Range

Post by squariel »

i get 8 miles to the £1.00
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

IIRC I used to get in the region of 260 miles to 30-35 litres of fuel. :-k

But that was on the days I behaved. :lol:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Grendel wrote:What fuel range do the other Mk1 drivers on here get since mine is only 100-140 miles a full tank?

I'm getting much, much better MPG running 260BHP.. I remember getting 300 miles from one tank in previous 1.6 mk1s

There must be something up with yours..
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I would love to get around 200 miles to a tank but think the car would have to be stationary for that. :whistle:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Grendel wrote:I would love to get around 200 miles to a tank but think the car would have to be stationary for that. :whistle:

Are you driving everywhere at 7500RPM?!
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

No?

Most of my driving is done in town between 30-50mph zones.

Only get more miles to the tank if i do long motorway runs. Also runing the car on Tesco 99 RON which suposidly gives better mpg.
MartG

Post by MartG »

I used to get around 180 miles to a tank on my SC around town, but I've seen over 300 on a run when I've been careful.

The NAs I've had all did around 250 miles to a tankful with mixed town/motorway driving
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

I seem to return around £250 most fills :thumleft:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Jaspa wrote:I seem to return around £250 most fills :thumleft:

Expensive ! :shock: :lol:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

MartG wrote:
Jaspa wrote:I seem to return around £250 most fills :thumleft:

Expensive ! :shock: :lol:

He's got no engine so its all on ginsters and beer as its flintstone style.

220-260milesish usually. :thumleft:
Last edited by cartledge_uk on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

#-o I know what I meant #-o

250 miles a tank then :oops:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I would love to get around 200 miles to a tank but think the car would have to be stationary for that

How would you get to 200 miles then? :D
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Beginning to wonder is the choke is dead in that case then?

Since it seems to be drinking fuel like a like it had shares in the stuff.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The "choke" is nothing more than an auxilliary air bypass around the throttle butterfly to raise the engine RPM when it's cold, coupled with more injector duty based on the EFI temp sensor.

If the EFI sensor is faulty you will get a code 4, if it's within tolerance but not reading a hot engine properly then yes you will drink fuel, so it pays to replace it if in any doubt.

If it's really drinking then anything's possible, stuck open injector, leaking cold start injector or just a worn out 4age that's low on compression. An air leak on the plenum can also throw your economy to hell, it screws the Map sensor reading.

HT condition is vital too, from coil to plugs via dizzy, all needs to be in top order for good MPG. Finally clean or replace your air filter, often the simple things that cause poor MPG.

Hope that helps! :thumleft:
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Does sound like it's using a lot of fuel though; I filled up yesterday having done 271 miles to my tankful. See also here for some other replies:
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtop ... f=3&t=6118
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I get 240-280 miles depending how much fuel I can put in.

I had 308 miles on 34 quid last week.

I average around 38 mpg but I do alot of A road mileage
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Grendel wrote:What fuel range do the other Mk1 drivers on here get since mine is only 100-140 miles a full tank?

I would of thought with 41 Litres of petrol in a N/A engine would go further?

The car has been tuned to pass the emissions test each MOT otherwise its standard except K&N & Mongoose.

WTF, I drive everywhere like my ar$e is on fire, 7k gear changes :lol: and I still got 275 miles out of my last tank infact here is what I did with the last tank full, went to JAE via my mate's and the mk1 club chairmans house Fully loaded and with passenger came home rather sprited :lol: The weekend after JAE (sat just passed) I went to Glouster and back still on the same tank filled up in the same Shell just when the fuel light comes on (just as when I filled it before JAE) and I had 275 miles on the trip clock.

I always reset the trip counter when I fill up my best was a run to Sudbury and around and back to Oxford 325 miles but again I was driving like a grandad and alot of was Motorway though.

My car is due a service and Has standard air intake but a magnex so VERY similar to yours, It ONLY ever gets V-power, I see 20-30 miles MORE out of a tank of V-power than normal 95 ron,
Mine also just sailed the MOT well within emissions and I have never had to touch it in over three years.

:-k

Something is very wrong me thinks.

Chris
Last edited by oukie on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

](*,)

It wasn’t until I posted on here I presumed it was normal MPG since it's always been the same for the past 5 years I’ve had the car and didn’t get any better when I replaced the distributor cap a few years back. (Yes I probably should replace it again)

So looks like it will be going back into the garage AGAIN to get it checked over. It only came out from them on Thursday after having some work done.

Out of interest they do need to keep playing with it to pass the emissions eachtime it has an MOT would that be a sign of anything?

Also where is the cheapest place to get a EFI sensor? Since if thetre not that expensive may as well get new Dizzy cap and sensor.
Last edited by Grendel on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Grendel wrote:](*,)

It wasn’t until I posted on here I presumed it was normal MPG since it's always been the same for the past 5 years I’ve had the car and didn’t get any better when I replaced the distributor cap a few years back. (Yes I probably should replace it again)

So looks like it will be going back into the garage AGAIN to get it checked over. It only came out from them on Thursday after having some work done.

If its going to the same garage each time, maybe you should find a different one..

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”