[Mk2] [Turbo] clutch master cylinder

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

monkeyminger

[Mk2] [Turbo] clutch master cylinder

Post by monkeyminger »

ok got a bit of a problem here we just replaced the clutch on a rev4 turbo and for the life of us we can not bleed it.
now it has had a new master cylinder and a new slave cylinder but still to no avail so this evening we stipped every thing down blow it out with compressed air so its all clear.
after this we re coupled the master in place but left the slave section uncoupled (just the flexi).we then pumped the maser cylinder at first a few bubbles as the res filled up came out,but then nothing.....the liquid stayed at the same hight !!!even after pumping we didn't need to fill and nothing is coming out the rear flex.any ideas from any 1 would really help as apart from a new master cylinder (which this 1 is ) were stumped unless it's supposed to do that because it's not connected....
Lewis Jay

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] clutch master cylinder

Post by Lewis Jay »

You need a pressure bleeder mate. :thumleft:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Something like this.
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

I had the same trouble bleeding my clutch. I ended up bleeding it at the gearbox end first as the clutch pedal just sank to the floor as theres not enough pressure at the gearbox cylinder.

Assuming you have unbolted the pipe where it goes from hard to rubber pipe (near gearbox), poured the fluid in untill it comes out the end, connected the pipe up.

Then compress the cylinder on the gearbox by hand, hold it in with a wedge, undo bleed nipple and do back up. Do this a few times to get the fluid into the cylinder.

You can then bleed from the clutch pedal.
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

it took 3 guys an hour to bleed mine at the local garage :lol:
monkeyminger

Post by monkeyminger »

Well this evening i have replaced the lot but to no avail....the thing is doing my head in. ](*,)
We have pushed the fluid through with a master cylinder atachment and a pump.if you push the clutch down the slave cylinder moves if you then wedge it open (the pedal sticks on the floor) pull back the pedal and press it again it moves to the correct place and feels fine when released it just goes all the way back in.and wont come out to the same point.
if is any help its a rev4 turbo with a clutch masters 6 puk clutch with a toda fly wheel band standard box.
we got a rev3 by the side of it and that looks like the slave cylinder pin is further out. :(
Yorkshire lad

Post by Yorkshire lad »

FORMAL NOTICE

Please note that a storage charge (Beer) will be made if this is
in my garage for much longer :mrgreen:

Any help or ideas would be great help peeps,We are ](*,) now
MR2_Turbo

Post by MR2_Turbo »

Anyone? ](*,)
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Just stick with it. I've bled mine twice now and both times it was a case of getting in the footwell and forcing the pedal down, and then back up again.

I tried a pressure bleed kit at one point but it was useless and just filled the frunk with brake fluid :roll:

It takes a long time but it does seem to work with the "regular" method:

Open bleed nipple
Push down pedal
Close bleed nipple
Pull up pedal
Repeat until bored/dark/Christmas etc.

You obviously need 2ppl to do this but it does work. :thumleft:
Filling the main hose before you start sounsd like a good idea if it's easy enough to do. I haven't tried that myself though.

Wingers
JJ

Post by JJ »

The effective solution that I've adopted after having all the above issues ...

Way around it is to create a vacuum at the slave end, loosen the nipple and create the vacuum that pulls the fluid through ! I was fortunate to have a tool that creates vacuum, like a syringe !! Pulled the fluid through and all working well !

Now I'm suggesting this with upmost care, using a length of windscreen washer pipe ( transparent ) you can suck on one end to pull it through ! Plenty of length on the hose ...

Should work right away !
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I like the sound of that. I'll give it a go when I get my new engine built up and fitted. Who knows when that'll be though... :roll:

Have you actually tried that or is it just an idea at this stage?

Wingers
JJ

Post by JJ »

Depends how good you are at sucking !!!

In reality though, I've used the windscreen washer hose for bleeding brakes and on this slave ! You can use a diaphragm based pump which would be effective ....

This though will work guaranteed ! Too much focus is spent trying to apply pressure where you can introduce more air when the solution is quite simple !
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
monkeyminger

Post by monkeyminger »

Ok now this is getting really silly....we have bled this thing now so much there must have been at least 6 or 7 ltrs of liquid through it.but still no joy. As soon as you touch the master cylinder the slave starts to move,and its very progressive but its like the master cylinder is either to small or the slave is to big and the clutch arm is just not being pushed enough in.(we have tryed pressurizing the system,we tryed sucking it through with a propper suction bleeder and bleeding at different points)
We have taken the car now to a full time mechanic and he says it seems to be bled properly (only liquid comes out no matter where you open a joint or valve.Its just not disengauging the clutch enough.
the car has new master and slave cylinders as well as a new "clutch masters" clutch (do these require a different slave cylinders??) :-k
if you push the arm out and lodge it out with a spacer pull the pedal back up and then push it again it seems to be perfect disengauging the clutch perfectly....
does any 1 know how much the slave cylinder comes out in mm (moves the arm???) :-k
at this rate it looks like i might have to modify the slave with a sleeve and a new custom piston. :(
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Did you put the friction plate in the right way round. :whistle:
monkeyminger

Post by monkeyminger »

:D yes it even said fly wheel side on it :thumleft:
and i doubt it would feel so good when you wedge it out (center would rub on flywheel bolts)

Return to “Mechanical”