turbo timer

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

4ndee

turbo timer

Post by 4ndee »

this is a random question but should you let a n/a engine cool down like a turbo engine?
I keep mine running after a long run or canning it, and was thinking about getting a turbo timer, especially with winter coming it means i can defrost it safely too?
any ideas?
mr2turbo99

Re: turbo timer

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Not sure it would make any difference on an NA. My understanding is letting a turbo'd car idle for a minute or so after a hard run prevents oil from cooking inside the turbo and damaging the seals as it gets super hot. If you switch off the car straight away it doesnt get a chance to return to safe temperatures.

What do you mean by defrosting as well? The turbo timer simply lets a car idle for a set amount of time after the ignition has been switched off.

If you mean defrosting the car before you drive it, its never a good idea to simply let the car warm up by idling.

Finally, i believe it is actually illegal to leave a car locked and unattended with the engine running. Correct me if im wrong guys.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

All of that ^^^ is spot on.

No need to idle an N/A after a thrash and you shouldn't idle an engine up to temperature either. Just start it, set off and take it gentle until it's up to temperature.

Also spot on with leaving a car running unattended.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

but you dont lock the car thats the whole point, it is wired to the handbrake so that when it is released it turns the engine off.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Leaving the car with the engine running even with an alarm like mine that does it is illegal the offence is called "quitting" as is remote starting your car.
swampy

Post by swampy »

surely only on public roads.....you can do what you want
on your own land ie no tax mot etc driving under age like on farms and speeding..at race tracks etc no insurance.tc so i think the law is only valid if parked on road.
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

swampy wrote:surely only on public roads.....you can do what you want
on your own land ie no tax mot etc driving under age like on farms and speeding..at race tracks etc no insurance.tc so i think the law is only valid if parked on road.

Correct. Perhaps i should re-phrase. Its against the law on public roads. People can do what they wish on private land.

4ndee wrote:but you dont lock the car thats the whole point, it is wired to the handbrake so that when it is released it turns the engine off.

Why would you release a handbrake to turn an engine off?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

mr2turbo99 wrote:
swampy wrote:surely only on public roads.....you can do what you want

Correct. Perhaps i should re-phrase. Its against the law on public roads. People can do what they wish on private land.

People have been issued tickets for cars parked on their driveway with the engine running I think you have to have a closed gate to get away with it but its also an offence to let your car tickover if your sat in it another law labour bought in "Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution."

4ndee wrote:but you dont lock the car thats the whole point, it is wired to the handbrake so that when it is released it turns the engine off.

Why would you release a handbrake to turn an engine off?

Most turbo timers and remote start alarms are wired so that if the hand brake is released the engine cuts out (or wont start) so that if someone puts the window in they cant drive off in your car.
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

ahh got it. I understood the remote start but i didn't get the bit about the turbo timer.
vmaxnick

Turbo timer

Post by vmaxnick »

Whilst carrying out a safe ;) overtaking maneuver, my stupid ali throttle pedal (fitted by previous owner) got stuck against my stupid ali floor mat (previous owner) :shock: First instinct: Switch off engine, as the revs soared to the max in third! Nothing happened! :shock: :shock: Engine continues to rev it's nads off and we have to overtake three cars on a blind corner to stay alive! Turbo timer (Fitted by previous owner) is keeping everything going :shock: All this has occurred in about 60 seconds and has required all my attention to get round the set of bends at full throttle! With my brain catching up with the car, I hooked my foot under the pedal and it released instantly. Just as my heart rate started to settle and I thought about putting some distance between myself and the cars I had just scared the bejesus out of and, you guessed, the turbo timer switches the engine off, leaving me to trickle to a halt and wave apologetically at the rightly indignant motorists :oops: :oops:
Lucky for me they didn't report me!
I now only use the turbo timer when I have stopped.
My experience proves that the turbo timers are not always fitted with fail- safes!
It cost me a slap up dinner in a very posh restaurant before the wife would ride in the tubby again! :lol:
Image Image Image
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

i removed mine, how ever the car wouldnt run when i removed the wireing harness.

simply drive steady for a minute or so on the end of the journey, or sit with the car for a couple of mins

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

loudandproud205 wrote:i removed mine, how ever the car wouldnt run when i removed the wireing harness.

simply drive steady for a minute or so on the end of the journey, or sit with the car for a couple of mins

Exactly what i do. Sit in the car for a minute or take it slow before switching off.
Dale_V

Re: Turbo timer

Post by Dale_V »

vmaxnick wrote:Whilst carrying out a safe ;) overtaking maneuver, my stupid ali throttle pedal (fitted by previous owner) got stuck against my stupid ali floor mat (previous owner) :shock: First instinct: Switch off engine, as the revs soared to the max in third! Nothing happened! :shock: :shock: Engine continues to rev it's nads off and we have to overtake three cars on a blind corner to stay alive! Turbo timer (Fitted by previous owner) is keeping everything going :shock: All this has occurred in about 60 seconds and has required all my attention to get round the set of bends at full throttle! With my brain catching up with the car, I hooked my foot under the pedal and it released instantly. Just as my heart rate started to settle and I thought about putting some distance between myself and the cars I had just scared the bejesus out of and, you guessed, the turbo timer switches the engine off, leaving me to trickle to a halt and wave apologetically at the rightly indignant motorists :oops: :oops:
Lucky for me they didn't report me!
I now only use the turbo timer when I have stopped.
My experience proves that the turbo timers are not always fitted with fail- safes!
It cost me a slap up dinner in a very posh restaurant before the wife would ride in the tubby again! :lol:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s34/vmaxnick/MR2/MR2%20Build%20to%20painted%20and%20badged/th_more006.jpg[/URL] Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s34/vmaxnick/MR2/MR2%20Build%20to%20painted%20and%20badged/th_more003.jpg[/URL] Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s34/vmaxnick/MR2/MR2%20Build%20to%20painted%20and%20badged/th_Goatthumb.jpg[/URL]

why not just clutch and shift to neutral then pull over? #-o ... american? :eye:
RST

Post by RST »

I always let mine run for a minute before setting off and never give it any beans until the oil's nearing the operating temp. I don't just park up and switch off either -always let it run for a few secons to a minute depending how hot it is and I see temps leveling off before switching off. Just being cautious and it's not doing any harm. Don't think cars should be left out of gear anyway so turbo timers seem a bit pointless to me, maybe some folk can't count a few seconds in their own head or just take it easy for the last couple of miles.
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

Dale_V wrote:

why not just clutch and shift to neutral then pull over? #-o ... american? :eye:

I've thought long and hard about answering this; first off, I am a kit car manufacturer, I am English, fourty something, have appeared on TV in my capacity as an engineer, raced rally cross for the Army team in the 80's
What happened was, I panicked. The turbo accelerates quite quickly, my first and fastest reaction was to switch off the engine, when that didn't work I had my concentration filled with getting the car around the bends. I was braking but I was not about to dip the clutch whilst cornering at speed! You do drive an MR2 don't you?

I don't think I'm the Yank \:D/
Last edited by vmaxnick on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

RST wrote:I always let mine run for a minute before setting off and never give it any beans until the oil's nearing the operating temp. I don't just park up and switch off either -always let it run for a few secons to a minute depending how hot it is and I see temps leveling off before switching off. Just being cautious and it's not doing any harm. Don't think cars should be left out of gear anyway so turbo timers seem a bit pointless to me, maybe some folk can't count a few seconds in their own head or just take it easy for the last couple of miles.

I remember working for Austin Rover many moons ago when the MG Metro Turbo was launched, we were told, those early ceramic turbo's needed a two minute tick over to allow the hot spots in the turbo to cool properly after spirited driving!
GBTurbo

Post by GBTurbo »

I am for the turbo timer to be honest.

I let the car idle for a few seconds then drive gentle for a few miles

I take it easy when im near my house then park up and get out straight away and lock the car. Leave the turbo timer on for 30 secs or a min.

Trust me, waiting in the car for a minute or so gets boring very quickly. Especially if you have your girlfriend/wife/girl/whatever next to you saying:

"Why are we waiting here?"
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

vmaxnick wrote:
Dale_V wrote:

I've thought long and hard about answering this; first off, I am a kit car manufacturer, I am English, fourty something, have appeared on TV in my capacity as an engineer, raced rally cross for the Army team in the 80's
What happened was, I panicked. The turbo accelerates quite quickly, my first and fastest reaction was to switch off the engine, when that didn't work I had my concentration filled with getting the car around the bends. I was braking but I was not about to dip the clutch whilst cornering at speed! You do drive an MR2 don't you?

No excuses to not clutch, neutral and then pull over and yes I do drive am mr2 as listed in my garage and the throttle has also stock open on me around country lanes. Natural reaction issed to clutch and brake, as when do you them turn the ignition off while driving? Never hence its not a natural reaction
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

Dale_V wrote:
vmaxnick wrote:
Dale_V wrote:

No excuses to not clutch, neutral and then pull over and yes I do drive am mr2 as listed in my garage and the throttle has also stock open on me around country lanes. Natural reaction issed to clutch and brake, as when do you them turn the ignition off while driving? Never hence its not a natural reaction

oh right, I'm not normal then or I'm lying and I'm American too!
Sorry, I didn't realise there was a handbook for what to do in a blind panic! I am obviously not the cool hand Luke that you are when faced with an emergency. Damn.
Just finished my re-building my Tubby that's been laid up for 3 years and fancied a bit of a chinwag with some like minded folk!
I don't want to indulge in point scoring with a juvenile cyber bully, I,ll just go the hell away.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

vmaxnick wrote:
Dale_V wrote:
vmaxnick wrote:

oh right, I'm not normal then or I'm lying and I'm American too!
Sorry, I didn't realise there was a handbook for what to do in a blind panic! I am obviously not the cool hand Luke that you are when faced with an emergency. Damn.
Just finished my re-building my Tubby that's been laid up for 3 years and fancied a bit of a chinwag with some like minded folk!
I don't want to indulge in point scoring with a juvenile cyber bully, I,ll just go the hell away.

You're obviously not cool no, and your sarcasm is crap, work on that ;)

dont cry about it, eh

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”