Rev4 Sonic Shadow 3.5L VVTi V6

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

uglee

Re: Rev4 Sonic Shadow 3.5L VVTi V6

Post by uglee »

Cheers, the pictures flatter them to be honest as the last winter destroyed them. Also me kerbing the passenger side didn't help :eye:

All the oils are in now, TRD engine torque mounts are in just waiting on the loom, drive by wire throttle pedal, DBW throttle body, ECU and modified inlet pipework. Most of which were stuck in customs, but the required paperwork I have finally got hold of and they should be here soon.

Car is booked into Meercat Exhausts to have a Y merge and sports Catalytic converter fitted this Friday. Should be interesting to see if thay can squeeze all that in and mate it upto the Fujitsubo backbox :pray:
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Lookin great Lee...

That 3vz looks awfully familiar :-k

Sorted the bottom end dude, was just the one shell had gone and suprisingly the crank was still 0.002 all the way around so happy days. Mate said it's just old wear n tear and me cainin it everywhere did not help!

Cost me £98 and a few hours work. Here's for a summer of redline. Should be good and ready for an SC along the line now :thumleft:

Bought a 4x4 for a daily driver ](*,) MR is now a weekend car when it gets some new blood inside.

Let me know when you want rid of the 2gr 8) and those rears =P~
uglee

Post by uglee »

Glad you got it sorted for not a lot of money dude. Now remember go easy on those top speed runs while doing the TT course. 8)

I think the 2GR will be staying with me for the foreseeable future :wink:
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Me and my two will be always ready to send you a few k when the "new" cossie version arrives :lol:

Sod that. 5th gear limiter legally is the way forward, just not for 1500 miles. If it breaks again I think I now know enough to fix it myself :thumleft:

I'll be keeping an eye on the thread awaiting the video's. Yet to get some of mine at full chat. Staying off the roads for a while now the bikers are out and going off road in the new vehicle.
uglee

Post by uglee »

jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

stunning mate
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

nice work :thumleft:
uglee

Post by uglee »

Bit of an update......

The charging issue is sorted, and the car has covered around 100miles under its own power now.

I initally had a problem with the ECU in some sort of safe mode. It initially felt like it was going to really start moving, but the power never arrived and no pressing of the throttle pedal made it go any quicker. It also popped occasionally on idle and smelled like it was running rich. From cold it took near 10mins for the revs to lower to a proper idle too

After a few days with the battery hooked up I started it up and it immediately started lowering the revs gradually until it had a smooth idle a minute or 2 later. there was no popping and the smell of fuel had gone.

Took it out for a drive and everything seemed well, the engine felt urgent and very responsive. Temps were good so took it onto a section of dual carriageway and opened the taps a bit..............This thing absolutely flies!!!!!!

It seems really docile and quiet, but when you plant your foot it just goes.......in any gear at any speed. No lag or hesitation nothing! It just shoves you into the back of the seat and it propels you forward very quickly. Noisewise it's quite extraordinary, I thought the VZ sounded good, but this engine wails at higher revs like a diluted version of the Lambo V10. But with little sound deadening the noise is crisp and puts a big grin on your face.
The Evora guys don't know what they are missing by not ditching the horrible restrictive intake and exhaust systems.

I had a Rev2 Turbo that was running high boost and GT4 chargecooler etc etc and must have been running around 230-250Hp, but this engine blows it into the weeds.I hope to get it rolling roaded in the near future.

I've fitted private plates (yes I'm sad :lol: ) Also the car was detailed by Mr Sherry (top job) had the Recaro's repaired. I spooned out all the dirt that was in the frunk, and ran a cloth over all the components in there. It's probably the best this car has looked in the last 10 years as it was chavved up, in a state bodywork wise and on the fast downhill slope to the breakers.

Here's how it's looking now:

Car is now like on axle stands as the brakes are now the weakest link. They need regreasing and re'bleeding. Also I am refurbing the BBS's myself so a proper job is done this time. Also polishing up the stainless backbox.

I have brackets to fit Porsche 996 calipers mated upto UK Supra front discs (Same as Welsha) and will be purchasing the kit that spaces out the standard rear calipers if still available and mated to larger RX8 discs. This will all be happening this winter along with a full suspension overhaul. However the standard stuff will suffice in good condition until then.

First proper outing will be JAE as long as work doesn't stuff things up :)
fizz

Post by fizz »

Damn shame i cant make JAE this year as it would have been good to catch up mate.

All i can say is im jealous of your motor! If your going to pop into Leeds on your way back up north then let me know and i will pop over. :thumleft:

p.s) next time you see michael ask him about the ferrari at the nurburgring car park from back in 05. :whistle:
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Christ dude! Only just seen this thread, car looks gorgeous!
It's def one of my favourite 2's now i've seen it!
Looking forwards to (hopefully!) seeing it at JAE now!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Lovely car mate and a joy to work on! I hope the wheels come up well, if they do, you can do mine for me \:D/

Fizz, SSsssshhhhhh. Nobody saw a thing! The Germans had it all under control.
fizz

Post by fizz »

msherry21 wrote:Lovely car mate and a joy to work on! I hope the wheels come up well, if they do, you can do mine for me \:D/

:whistle:
uglee

Post by uglee »

Cheers everyone, I cannot explain how much the character of the car has changed. Just sounds and feels like a bit of an animal. I really need to get it on a dyno to see what it's kicking out. :D

fizz wrote:
msherry21 wrote:Lovely car mate and a joy to work on! I hope the wheels come up well, if they do, you can do mine for me \:D/

:whistle:

You can't leave it at that guys :-s :lol:

Good idea of calling in to Bradford Fizz, it breaks up the monster return leg. :thumleft:
fizz

Post by fizz »

Aye bud.. i think you got my number so give me a holler as you come past mate. Can grab a bite to eat or something and i also get to see the car!

With regards to Ms Herry - We had done a couple of laps at the ring and we always tried to park up together in the same spot in the car park but as it was rammed it was difficult so Michael parked his a few cars down.

While we were chatting he turns round and says something like 'What the hell they doing to my car!' as he sees some people looking like they are trying to rip the spoiler off his car.

He leggs it down as do a couple of us and he quickly gets into the car and starts it and movs it forward. We were wondering what was going on... turns out he had park on an incline with what was back then (2005) a brand new F430 parked behind him.. the brakes had cooled on his mr2 and contracted and it sarted to roll backwards into the Fezza!

The people nearby luckily saw what was going on and were trying to stop it from hitting the car! :lol:
mike1984uk

Post by mike1984uk »

looking good!!

i know the post was a while ago but in the pic .....

if that is your driver side rear wheel in the pic close up, the rotation of the tyre is wrong, should be on passenger side
uglee

Post by uglee »

uglee wrote:

I fitted the wheels just to see how much lower the car sits at the rear. Ignore the direction indicator

:thumleft:
mike1984uk

Post by mike1984uk »

my bad lol
filthy

Post by filthy »

I love the 2GR - mine steel feels uber-quick even after over 12 months.
Even better since I had it remapped earlier this year by Rogue and rev limit is now just over 7k rpm - great sound. Next step must be some racier camshafts.

Yours looks a very clean conversion - mine is a rally car and is looking a bit scruffy nowerdays.

http://www.jmsphotographic.com/Site%20P ... -10_37.jpg
uglee

Post by uglee »

You must be mental running a 2GR Mk2 on rally's :lol:

Must really go well if there's a lot of tarmac stuff?

I do find the rev limit a bit low as it is quite easy to hit. Monkeywrench racing have upped the original limit using the standard ECU somehow. Maybe one for the future! Or change gear ratios. All £££'s I guess

So as far as I know there are only 3 roadgoing 2GR's in the UK at the moment?
uglee

Post by uglee »

Put the car on a dyno yesterday and took a few vids.

Here's what she's making at the moment... (ATW)

Vid of the Dyno....
http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/ ... GRDyno.mp4

And a bit of a Foxystoat tribute by gaffer taping my mobile to the back of the car.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykq9-1RFrWo

Return to “Member Profiles”