[Mk2] [NA] Smoke From Foglight Switch :-S

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Goldy

[Mk2] [NA] Smoke From Foglight Switch :-S

Post by Goldy »

I've been having a look at the foglight wiring as I couldn't seem to get either the front or rear foglights on.

After a bit of fettling I found that the wiring connector for the foglight was not plugged into the switch. I also noticed some of the insulation on the black and white wire was a bit melted, so I peeled it back and repaired it.

Anyhooose after applying power for just a few seconds smoke was coming from the dash and it turned out that the black and white wire was melting. After turning this off I checked the current in the circuit, and there is a ton of current flowing when the switch is closed > 25A!!!!

There are 4 wires to the switch,
Green / Yellow
White / Black
Green
White / Black

The problem seems to be with the Green - White/Black pair (top connectors on the switch)

Having looked at the wiring diagrams I can't seem to find a reference to the Green wire (which is beefier than the rest)

Any idea what wires are what, its a rev 3 jap import.

Anyone know where my problem might be, i'm assuming that one of the wires is connected to the main battery supply somewhere!
SFLee

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Smoke From Foglight Switch :-S

Post by SFLee »

not sure what the colour is

but it look like it is a heavy load, i guess the wire is the thicker one ?

if i remeber correctly the best wire to take the fog light is the cigurate light (the green ring)
Goldy

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Smoke From Foglight Switch :-S

Post by Goldy »

The issue is with the standard front fog light switch.... does anyone know where the solid green wire is routed?

Return to “Electrical”