MR2 Super GT Race Series for 2010

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

Re: MR2 Super GT Race Series for 2010

Post by Rogue »

The class numbers refer to the power to weight ratio of the vehicle adjusted for aerodynamic efficiency - we refer to it as a performance index. In most cases, cars will actually have a lot more horsepower than their class rating suggests as they'll weigh more than a ton.

While the performance index of each vehicle is shared (currently only amongst competitors) after a race, most drivers are reluctant to share their performance data - particularly torque - in case it helps a competitor.

This year in the Super GTs is all about testing the cars, the policing methods and making sure it all works. Limits may be moved for next season when everything will be set in stone and more rigorously policed.

It's working well at the moment as witnessed by how close the three GT200 class cars were at Brands Hatch.
swampy

Post by swampy »

Patrick

Regards the comment about Torque,,,
Does the data logger efectively monitor the BHP and not torque .
I assumed it was an overall power index.
Would a really torque high engine running the same bhp as a lower torque car show the same performance index.

Technical query regards the regs and inner wheel arch mods being a no-no how would this effect a car with a TRD kit fitted to it which has had the rear arches cut slightly..
greeny

Post by greeny »

Im coming down to watch you lads/lasses at cadwell on sunday.

If anyone has any spare spectators tickets, feel free to PM me :mrgreen: :thumleft:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Greeny, the superGTs are on the Saturday, it's the Championship on the Sunday! (which incidently I will be racing my MK3 for the first time in :mrgreen: ).
greeny

Post by greeny »

tonigmr2 wrote:Greeny, the superGTs are on the Saturday, it's the Championship on the Sunday! (which incidently I will be racing my MK3 for the first time in :mrgreen: ).

Ha, i did get up to cadwell and enjoyed the racing! (and got very sunburnt!)

I was walking through the pits/scruitineering after the second race when you were just getting out of the car...looking rather sweaty i must say! :mrgreen: :thumleft:

Looked like good fun!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Video footage from my car at Cadwell Park:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OIAW-nlUHM

Some explanation is needed:-

First race, both Anthony and I in turbos bog down on the line and Alric in his mk3 V6 gets away cleanly... and quickly! Unfortunately he selects fifth instead of third as we enter Coppice and I end up getting alongside him. (Anthony is confused about why Alric has slowed down and lifts thinking there may have been a red flag). Once he's found third gear again he takes off like I'm standing still and you should be able to see the dirty black lines that his tyres leave around the three bends that are visible on my footage. Try watching in HD if you can't make them out.

Ironically, my rear camera didn't capture anything of the first race and my forward camera didn't get the second! Anthony bogs down again but this time I make a reasonable start. Alric is missing from the grid having ripped a driveshaft CV joint apart two laps from the end of race one. I'm in front for a lap and a bit before the superiority of Anthony's car allows how to breeze past through Charlies.
greeny

Post by greeny »

Rogue wrote:Video footage from my car at Cadwell Park:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OIAW-nlUHM

Some explanation is needed:-

First race, both Anthony and I in turbos bog down on the line and Alric in his mk3 V6 gets away cleanly... and quickly! Unfortunately he selects fifth instead of third as we enter Coppice and I end up getting alongside him. (Anthony is confused about why Alric has slowed down and lifts thinking there may have been a red flag). Once he's found third gear again he takes off like I'm standing still and you should be able to see the dirty black lines that his tyres leave around the three bends that are visible on my footage. Try watching in HD if you can't make them out.

Ironically, my rear camera didn't capture anything of the first race and my forward camera didn't get the second! Anthony bogs down again but this time I make a reasonable start. Alric is missing from the grid having ripped a driveshaft CV joint apart two laps from the end of race one. I'm in front for a lap and a bit before the superiority of Anthony's car allows how to breeze past through Charlies.

I take it Anthonys cars is the black/orange car?

How come its so much faster Patrick?

Do some cars have to run ballast etc?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

greeny wrote:I take it Anthonys cars is the black/orange car? How come its so much faster Patrick?

Anthony's car is running in the GT250 class where mine is in the GT200, but is also a lot more developed. It has a 2.2 litre engine, electric coolant pump, flat underbody, rear diffuser, rear wing, widened track and much more rubber! By contrast, my car is simply a Championship car with a turbo engine and the controlled coilover suspension - I'm still running standard MR2 tyre sizes.

Part of the purpose of running my car is to demonstrate that you can pick up a basic MR2 turbo and be competitive, and to show Championship competitors what their cars would be like with minimal upgrades. You can see just how quickly they disappear from view in the second race!

The other reason for keeping this car fairly basic is that it's for sale, and I'd rather pass it on as a solid basis for someone elses creation than impose my preferences. My own Super GT car is a V6 mk3 like Alric's. But we're also using it for the Britcar 24hr race this year so it's been longer in development. I'm hoping to shake it down at the Silverstone meeting in August.

greeny wrote:Do some cars have to run ballast etc?

Cars have to run to power-to-weight ratios equating to around 200 or 250 bhp per ton. to the best of my knowledge, no-one is yet ballasting their cars because there's a lot more freedom to add funky aero parts or turn the boost down instead.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

greeny wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:Greeny, the superGTs are on the Saturday, it's the Championship on the Sunday! (which incidently I will be racing my MK3 for the first time in :mrgreen: ).

Ha, i did get up to cadwell and enjoyed the racing! (and got very sunburnt!)

I was walking through the pits/scruitineering after the second race when you were just getting out of the car...looking rather sweaty i must say! :mrgreen: :thumleft:

Looked like good fun!

Ladies don't sweat they glow. :eye: It was a hot day, but yes very enjoyable. :) First in class in the first race and second in the second, felt very pleased with that (I should add out of three, but still \:D/ ).
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Finally my Super GT / Britcar is well underway. Here are some videos of the chassis before it goes to paint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1MA-Sn4ahw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVGXShxkVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2r-VcIvEjw
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Rogue wrote:Finally my Super GT / Britcar is well underway. Here are some videos of the chassis before it goes to paint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1MA-Sn4ahw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVGXShxkVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2r-VcIvEjw

lol! :thumleft:

Am looking forward to Britcar this year!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
swampy

Post by swampy »

Patrick

Am i right in saying for gt ie club level, seats and harness etc do not require to be fia approved?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

swampy wrote:Patrick

Am i right in saying for gt ie club level, seats and harness etc do not require to be fia approved?

Seats don't, harnesses do and must be in date. :thumleft:
swampy

Post by swampy »

Patrick

Am i also correct in saying the following have no restrictions from reading the regs

side window glass can be exchanged and does not need to slide up and down/if slider fitted to drivers

Rear glass does not have to be glass or have a sight line
body work mods are free.

Air scoops and spoilers are free with a height restriction of the top of the roof..or can they be higher?

fuel system and location inc tank is free

roll cage providing it is bolted and not welded can be fixed to ANY factory bolt hole?

Headlights have to work ?

what is the maximum length of vehicle allowed ie inc splitter and diffuser length?

No max width?

Inner arches can not be removed/cut etc but can be bashed if necassary?

Exhaust must exit behind the rear wheels.

Think thats it for now. We are obviously about to hit the good stuff with our build so i am sure there will be some more clarifications soon.

Cheers
:thumleft:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

swampy wrote:Am i also correct in saying the following have no restrictions from reading the regs

side window glass can be exchanged and does not need to slide up and down/if slider fitted to drivers

Correct.

swampy wrote:Rear glass does not have to be glass or have a sight line body work mods are free.

Correct. There may be an MSA regulation that requires a sight line - I'm not sure.

swampy wrote:fuel system and location inc tank is free

Correct.

swampy wrote:roll cage providing it is bolted and not welded can be fixed to ANY factory bolt hole?

Correct.

swampy wrote:Headlights have to work ?

Correct. (This is to allow us the possibility of running night races.)

swampy wrote:Inner arches can not be removed/cut etc but can be bashed if necassary?

You can reshape the inner arch if you need to, and you can grind off and seam weld the lip. This is the only area where seam welding is permitted.

swampy wrote:Exhaust must exit behind the rear wheels.

Correct, but it can exit from the side or rear of the car.

swampy wrote:Air scoops and spoilers are free with a height restriction of the top of the roof..or can they be higher?

what is the maximum length of vehicle allowed ie inc splitter and diffuser length?

No max width?

Currently the max length / width / height regulations are open but will be tightened up next year. I've left it open this year to see what people want to work with rather than just impose some meaningless arbitrary limits. There will be a theoretical box that the car must fit within so high level air scoops would be permitted above the roofline provided they didn't exceed the envelope. Probably best to give me a shout with any ideas you have in this area.
swampy

Post by swampy »

will do cheers
swampy

Post by swampy »

Patrick

i can not see anything that states a space frame could not be made up and effectively a light weight body of some material being placed on it as long as it had the regs suspension etc etc and of course an mr2 silhouete.

cost aside would this be possible /out lawed would be exciting to have a gt car weighing about 650kgs :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

swampy wrote:Patrick

i can not see anything that states a space frame could not be made up and effectively a light weight body of some material being placed on it as long as it had the regs suspension etc etc and of course an mr2 silhouete.

cost aside would this be possible /out lawed would be exciting to have a gt car weighing about 650kgs :lol:

I did hint at this a while back and was given a resounding, unequivocal NO- you cannot enter in a space framed car...I think I was even called "naughty" for suggesting such a thing :eye:
swampy

Post by swampy »

for sure ...but if the rules dont state it?
I am too far on with my build but thought it would make for an excellent racer.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

The regulations state:

Super GT Regs wrote:With the exception of engine and gearbox clearance as stated above, it is not permitted to remove material from any structural parts of the chassis.

So you wouldn't be able to remove the structural part of the car to replace it with a space frame, and...

Super GT Regs wrote:Additional bracing may be added to the chassis only through the use of pre-existing fixing points.

...would probably make it very difficult to attach a space frame anyway!

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”