Carbotech Panther XP8 Race Spec Brake Pads

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MarkR32

Carbotech Panther XP8 Race Spec Brake Pads

Post by MarkR32 »

Afternoon all,

Spec-ing the brakes for the car i was wondering if anyone had any experiences of these brake Pads, im told they are more thn suitable for my Mr2 Championship / Toyota Sprint Series car and Rogue run them on their cars but any first hand accounts of what they are like both driving to tracks and then on track would be appreciated :thumleft:

Cheers

Mark
paul port

Re: Carbotech Panther XP8 Race Spec Brake Pads

Post by paul port »

If you are after a Track only pad then the XP8 is ideal.

The grip is adequate from cold as the coefficient of friction is so high. After first application the stopping power is second to none, and they continue to work fade free with extreme punishment.

Words of caution:
These pads continue to operate at temperatures that can melt the rubber bellows on your calliper pistons as happened to me on one occasion. Their performance outstrips the capability of the OEM calliper.

The pads put out hot oily dust that will embed into the paint of your alloy wheels. They also squeal like a pig when driven off-track.

For a car that is driven on road more than it is track, the 'Panther Plus' carbotech compound is a far-far better choice.

It's bite from cold is better, and they appear to last longer than XP8 in general use. The top temperature window is not as high on paper - but they share the same high coefficient of friction, and I never found them to fade on track.

Final note, I don't think Carbotech pads are (E) marked, and therefore they would be illegal on the road.

Paul
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

I am testing the new Bluestuff pads for EBC and so far they have been absolutley superb. I will put up a full review in a few weeks :thumleft:
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

easty-5 wrote:I am testing the new Bluestuff pads for EBC and so far they have been absolutley superb. I will put up a full review in a few weeks :thumleft:

I'm going to be ordering/importing some AX6's but I'm curious as to what you thought of the bluestuff pads ?
Have you tried AX6's before or any of the other Carbotech's ?

(currently I'm on yellowstuff but nothing to compare them to yet)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”