FRONT DRIVING LIGHTS FINE-ALMOST??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dave Goodhand

Re: FRONT DRIVING LIGHTS FINE-ALMOST??

Post by Dave Goodhand »

no of course thats not a bad thing, but its when they are the only car on the road and they sit at 70 on the right hand lane. Ie hogging it.

They should pull over if they are not "Overtaking" as it is an overtaking lane.

Besides as cars speedo's over-read anyway, you can use GPS to determine what speed you are going, and usually they are doing about 60 but "think" they are doing 70.

So are you saying you've never cruised on the motorway at 80 before? as I doubt that you always drive at the stupidly slow limit (which must I add came into when the highway code was written and many cars couldn't get to 70 let alone exceed it. Plus with todays technology in brakes etc I think the highway code should be re-written as braking distances aren't that slow, its more the reaction time of the driver. Ie I crashed because I couldn't stop as I was getting a cd/lighting a cig. etc)
Jimbo3176

Post by Jimbo3176 »

I have never been 'dazzled' by oncoming front fogs, or someone sat behind me.. they dont even look bright :? Rear fogs maybe.. but not front.

However I do find it funny that people use them when its not foggy just cuz they think it makes their car look cool.
77West

fog lights

Post by 77West »

happened to me the other day some pillock in a 316 bmw had his fogs on and blinded me a treat in my side mirror - you wouldn't drive with your rear fogs on would you? its the Nova and Punto drivers who cant seem to turn their front fogs off!

Drove behind someone with the rear fogs on for 4-5 miles kept flashing them to turn them off, car pulls in and lets me past then turns out to be unmarked omega police car who stop me and question as to my driving style ](*,) Only after I was sat in the back of their car did I manage to point out their fogs were on and I was warning them!
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Dave I completely agree that most of the highway code is complete tosh.

What was interesting on Car Nation the other week, was a motorway officer saying that he wont move unless someone is doing over 90 :-k

It does frustrate me when people are sat at 70 when passing a police car. I try to make a point to pass them as close to 80 as possible just to prove a point.

However, you cant drive for other people (unfortunately). Wether its them sat in the wrong lane, having the wrong lights on, or cutting you up. Its best just to stick your fingers up and be on your way. :) May take a bit longer if they are going the same way though :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

However, you cant drive for other people (unfortunately).

Wish I could lol... then I wouldn't have to worry about my car being off the road! lol

Totally agree with your points, its funny when police cars are on the motorway doing 60 and no-one wants to overtake!
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

The police officer actually made a very good point stating that he would not go for drivers doing under 90 because it is more difficult to prosecute. If you are doing 80, you could come up with a feasable excuse which magistrates would listen to, as in....

"sorry it was a momentary gain in speed due to trying to free up a lane making way for joining traffic" - its a reasonable excuse....

No one will have a good excuse for travelling at 90 mph.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Could say you were being chased by a giant flying pink possum. Might get you off with the insanity claim. :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Baker

Post by Baker »

Lauren wrote:
Baker wrote:F*cking useles pigs. Why not catch a real criminal instead of pocketing the money of a legit road user.

Rant over........ for now........ :x :x :x

oh dear.

](*,)

But what the road user was doing was illegal and inconsiderate to other road users.

Personally i wish the polie would blitz the whole foglight brigade.

Lauren, i was saying 'oh dear' to the mindless comment about police being fukcing pigs, not the fog light issue.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Baker wrote:
Lauren wrote:
Baker wrote:F*cking useles pigs. Why not catch a real criminal instead of pocketing the money of a legit road user.

Rant over........ for now........ :x :x :x

oh dear.

](*,)

But what the road user was doing was illegal and inconsiderate to other road users.

Personally i wish the polie would blitz the whole foglight brigade.

Lauren, i was saying 'oh dear' to the mindless comment about police being fukcing pigs, not the fog light issue.

Thats okay, no need to swear though. My comment was based on the 'legit' road user acting illegally, so in this respect like a criminal he commited an infringment of the law. Okay not the crime of the century but i do wonder how many times drivers have had accidents as a result of being blinded by the foglights of an oncoming driver?
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Pssst lauren,

Baker is a copper too, he was simply stating what someone had already said earlier in the post :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Hurstie1981 wrote:Pssst lauren,

Baker is a copper too, he was simply stating what someone had already said earlier in the post :)

GLOL :oops:

How was i to know? :wink:
Baker

Post by Baker »

Nooooo, that was pasted from a comment from another post...i didnt write that!

I must use the quote button more! :oops:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Have to agree here, no excuse. Fog lights are for reduced visibility only. Oh, and for chavs.
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

There's a very good technical reason why this is a bad idea.

When dark, subconsciously you judge the distance between yourself and an oncoming vehicle by the distance between the lights and their reflection against the road surface. When the lights are lower down, this gives the illusion that the vehicle is further from you.

This is accentuated if the dipped beams aren't on. As a result it can be easy to pull out of a junction and find someone a lot closer than you thought, especially if it's raining, as the reflection on the road is more noticeable and the car itself is not.

As has been said above, the foglights produce very little useful effect unless it is actually foggy, so please...don't do it!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Baker wrote:Nooooo, that was pasted from a comment from another post...i didnt write that!

GLOL, faux pas tastic basically then. ;)
Mr Two

Post by Mr Two »

Well thank you everyone for your comments,especially SADAKO-(it was almost dark at the time!),ACF8181-i was merely driving to a petrol station on Fezzy Park,whats wrong with that?!and a big THANK YOU to DAVE GOODHAND for the "hate" thingy.
Anyway,joking apart,i drive on ave 1400 miles per week,on all types of roads,in all weathers/visiblities/light conditons and have done for many years now and i can honestly say that i have never once been dazzled by these fog/driving lights.If anything,the vehicles with these lights on are much more visible to me and as far as i am concerned that is what i need.
On the night concerned it was in twilight and i put them on to make myself a bit more visible than just on sidelights alone but without the headlight glare as can happen at that particular time of night.
Again,cheers everyone and i promise i will only use them in the future in line with "The Law" .COS i don't want to be fined!!

Dave
stevel

Post by stevel »

LOL @ Lauren :oops:

Baker wrote:yes mate. Non endorsable fixed penalty notice. given plenty out myself

Sort of gave it away
anna

Post by anna »

Well i've been dazzled by fogs, and also from people driving about with badly adjusted main beams.

Where we live it's country roads so when it gets dark, fogs are a real problem (unlike in cities where light pollution means that it's more difficult to get glare from car lights).

People who drive around with them on are either stupid for not realising that they are on (although some cars can make it quite difficult to tell if you have on them on or not), or even worse, they think it makes their car look cooler...

JUST STOP NOW KIDS! ;)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Lauren wrote:
Baker wrote:Nooooo, that was pasted from a comment from another post...i didnt write that!

GLOL, faux pas tastic basically then. ;)

Affirmative :)
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Mr Two wrote:
On the night concerned it was in twilight and i put them on to make myself a bit more visible than just on sidelights alone

Why dont you use your headlights instead?

That really winds me up, sidelights and foglights - instead of dipped main beams....grrrr!!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”