[Mk2] [Generic] Bucket Seats

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MarkR32

[Mk2] [Generic] Bucket Seats

Post by MarkR32 »

I promise i did a search but i seemed to get every single IMOC post in the world ever .. so scrapped the idea :D

ok stripping the car and have x2 fixed back bucket seats chucked (acurrately placed) in the mr2, just wondering how folk have done this as i cant find any subframes for a decent price .. can you weld side mounts to the runners ?? .

Alp Me haha :lol:
dave5526

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Bucket Seats

Post by dave5526 »

Are they side mount only bucket seats?

Base mounted bucket seats are (relatively) easy:

1) cut the runners off a standard seat
2) grind off anything left from the stock seat side mounts
3) bolt the (now seperate) runners into the car
4) measure up two flat steel bars to go across the two runners and make a square frame
5) cut the bars and weld them across (still bolted in the car so you know they fit)
6) Remove the compelted frame from the car, measure and drill holes for the base mounts and bolt the seats on, done.

I've never done side mounted seats but I guess you'd do the same up to step 2 and then weld the side mounts on top of the runners, assuming they sit above the runners ok. I'd still follow steps 3-5 to give the frame a bit of strength, but with thinner steel bars to keep the weight down, probably even use thin steel box section so it's lighter but stronger.
kgx

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Bucket Seats

Post by kgx »

i did mine using 6mm thick 6061-T6 angle. bolted them to the original seat rails, then to the seats.

one of the things i ran into with mine was that the adjuster lever would hit the bottom of the bucket, since i was mounting the seats so low. i had to grind away a little of the lever/bracket to prevent interference.

they sit lower than the oem seats did. i think part of the reason most folks have issues with them sitting too high is they don't angle them properly. they sit them almost straight up. i have my driver's seat reclined more like a formula car. it's a bit harder to get in and out, but it's more comfortable, positions my legs better relative to the pedals, makes submarining less likely, and keeps my head/helmet away from the roof.

Return to “Modifications”