Youtube Tv supercharged Mr2 versus a Pontiac Fiero test

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mulaz

Youtube Tv supercharged Mr2 versus a Pontiac Fiero test

Post by mulaz »

While i'm at home recovering after my bad crash of last week.
i have been searching the net for info and a possible replacement car after my crash of last week.

i came across a good but very!! bias YouTube 80’s American TV review on a supercharged Mr2 versus a Pontiac Fiero http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ib-jB58GEg

is the one currently advertised on Ebay the average price you would pay for a supercharged Mr2?
010on1986

Re: Youtube Tv supercharged Mr2 versus a Pontiac Fiero test

Post by 010on1986 »

I would be tempted to pay the highest price for the highest quality and there is no way in my opinion its worth anywhere near £3,850. More like £2K EDIT : because its been in the UK a while and is probably rusting from the inside out by now.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

There is a thread about this on the site and most people agree its not worth 3850. More like 2-2.5k.
Moustachio

Post by Moustachio »

Great nostalgic video, even if it is American biassed; you don't get proper car reviews like this anymore... just 3 idiots d1cking about with caravans, kissing celebrity ass and blowing xxxx up!

:lol: :lol:
Bring back Psygnosis
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

Moustachio wrote:Great nostalgic video, even if it is American biassed; you don't get proper car reviews like this anymore... just 3 idiots d1cking about with caravans, kissing celebrity ass and blowing xxxx up!

:lol: :lol:

Absolutely, TG are a bunch of idiots. Last week's was good though, good ol cameron diaz, and great Senna footage, even though he was an ass.
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Man--- The Americans really had no idea how to make a good looking interior back then.
That was just terrible on the inside but the outside looked ok.

Very good and informative video though.
Get well soon mulaz and if you get an SC i will hate you forever. LOL :thumleft:
Bod
Fab4MR2

Post by Fab4MR2 »

Wow, great find on the MR2 vs Fiero road test. That really goes way back.

If you actually know something about both cars though, and listen to the whole comparison carefully, you'ld realize that the MR2 should have easily come out on top, but as usual they slanted it towards the dumb 'n dumber car, and the 'couldn't drive to save my life' crowd.

The final results were really slanted towards non-sports car type owners on only one or two items. If anyone with half a brain, and a semi-sports car nature were to compare the two same cars, I would find it very hard to believe that they would have picked the Fiero.

The MR2 scored far better in the 0-60 time, and a bit better in the 1/4 mile time as well. The guys who actually knew how to drive a mid-engine car raved about its handling, while the others preferred the dumbed down Fiero handling, for people who can't accept that you have to learn how to drive a mid-engined car differently.

The MR2 had an incredibly better interior compared to the Fiero, and they forgot to mention that the fatso, who complained about the high side bolsters could have adjusted them quite easily. The Fiero interior looked absolutely terrible, and is one reason why I have always been a bit embarrassed by the quality of American cars.

The MR2 also had much better gas mileage, especially 'in city'. And when it came to overall quality, they admitted that Toyota was known for great quality, while Pontiac/Fiero had only just been upgraded to 'Acceptable', ouch. About the only category that the Fiero really handled a bit better was stopping distances, but that was a bit rigged, as they only gave average distances obtained while making repeated very hard stops. A mere upgrade to better brake pads would have cured that. Considering the weight differences between the two cars, Fiero was probably forced to used a bit of an uprated pad. If they had measured single stopping distances, such as the average driver would more likely incur, I would bet the MR2 would have easily come out on top, especially with its lighter weight.

Sure, there was a big price difference between the two cars they tested, but the Toyota was worth every bit of the difference. If they had tested a cloth interior version, however, the prices between the two would have been much closer, and the MR2 still would have been easily the better of the two. The only thing really going for the Fiero was its exterior design. Too bad Pontiac botched the car so badly, and dropped it just as they had started to make long needed improvements.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”