Any comments on this?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

johnp

Any comments on this?

Post by johnp »

Just wanting some general comments about S/C's in general and this car in particular:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C170588/#
...just constructive comments please,I'm not wanting to run the car down and spoil the sale, especially if the owner is on here.I've had a mk 1 already so my knowledge of these is adequate,but I know little about the Supercharger variant.
kevin..in

Re: Any comments on this?

Post by kevin..in »

nothing really in the ad. to run down apart from the title "turbo VTi" and a few spelling mistakes
you need to look at the car close up before making any judgements
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

TOYOTA MR2 MK1 SUPER CHARGER AW11 TURBO VTI For Sale (1986)

Turbo VTI?????? Am I missing something!

1986 - Must have been a prototype.

With prothane bushes, 16 inch wheels and 35mm lowering the ride will be hard as nails.

OK, so not exactly constructive - I'll get my coat. :roll:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

It's over priced in my opinion and I am the one who usually sticks up for higher priced Mk1s when they are forsale and in good nick. The arches have rust, the mileage isnt listed, no mention of tax or ticket, front valence is wonky and possibly rusted.
It's a £2000-£3000 car.
Like the stance though, looks good when they are low..
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

Are there really only 100 of them left in the country?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Kateg28 wrote:Are there really only 100 of them left in the country?

Nobody knows.. there is no way of knowing for sure. I think 100 wouldn't be far off, other people think a lot more than 100..
Moustachio

Post by Moustachio »

Bring back Psygnosis
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I recognise the ebayer name as I'm sure I sold him the refurbed supercharger rocker covers!

I think its overpriced too as my mate sold his mk1a sc conversion for around 2.5k and that was pretty mint. This looks a bit of a dog.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

IanClements wrote:
TOYOTA MR2 MK1 SUPER CHARGER AW11 TURBO VTI For Sale (1986)

Turbo VTI?????? Am I missing something!

1986 - Must have been a prototype.

With prothane bushes, 16 inch wheels and 35mm lowering the ride will be hard as nails.

OK, so not exactly constructive - I'll get my coat. :roll:

Yes you are missing something.

Its call advertising, some people just search for 'turbo' cars and some search 'VTI' for the hondas, and so by adding turbo VTI to the title it ensures you attract a new market of people who may miss the advert normally
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Its call advertising, some people just search for 'turbo' cars and some search 'VTI' for the hondas, and so by adding turbo VTI to the title it ensures you attract a new market of people who may miss the advert normally

Thanks for enlightening me, totally dishonest IMO and the year's still off.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

IanClements wrote:

Thanks for enlightening me, totally dishonest IMO and the year's still off.

yeah it often done in ebay ads with titles like Toyota mr2 not honda crx maza mx3 etc. so you end up looking at al the stuff you don't want to see
A form of spamming!
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Now I know the S/C's are quite quick, having had the superior AE101 GZE engine in my conversion........

...but c'mon: I'd just LOVE to see that car up against a 111R.......!? :roll:

If it had uprated intercooling, it would be quicker still , too..... :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

It's an early one, so won't have a rear ARB, which means terminal understeer everywhere.

It won't make 190bhp either. No mention of ABV being blanked off either, so won't be making the most of the extra boost.

Nankang tyres says that they aren't clued up about handling, especially so because they've put silly tyre sizes on which are only going to make the handling even more understeery.

I would also want to double check the LSD as a lot of people can't seem to tell the difference between an LSD and open diff (even though the difference is striking).

As for a hundred being left, I doubt that and it doesn't add a grand or more to the value anyway.

If there is slight rust on the rear arches, they'll have rotted through.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I don't believe the Mitsi Evo part either.

Great spelling too "roca covers"
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Lauren wrote:I would also want to double check the LSD as a lot of people can't seem to tell the difference between an LSD and open diff (even though the difference is striking).

Being an early one (like mine, so I looked into this a bit) it's unlikely to have had LSD as standard, so if it has it, it'd have likely been a later mod.

/makes mental note to check my own SC for a rear anti-roll bar, but I don't remember there being one... :?
johnp

Post by johnp »

Lauren wrote:It's an early one, so won't have a rear ARB, which means terminal understeer everywhere.

It won't make 190bhp either. No mention of ABV being blanked off either, so won't be making the most of the extra boost.

Nankang tyres says that they aren't clued up about handling, especially so because they've put silly tyre sizes on which are only going to make the handling even more understeery.

I would also want to double check the LSD as a lot of people can't seem to tell the difference between an LSD and open diff (even though the difference is striking).

As for a hundred being left, I doubt that and it doesn't add a grand or more to the value anyway.

Thanks,Lauren,I know you've been there so your comments mean something.The urge has passed now... and yes I agree the arches will be rotten.
I wonder how many really rust free ones with no mechanical issues are left?
On the other hand,because of rareity,perhaps even the poor ones are going up in value?Personally I've now lost interest.
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

Lauren wrote:

I have some bubbles on my rear arches, can someone give me some advice on how to scrap a car?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Kateg28 wrote:

I have some bubbles on my rear arches, can someone give me some advice on how to scrap a car?

?

Phone your local scrap yard and they'll come and take it away
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

johnp wrote:I wonder how many really rust free ones with no mechanical issues are left?

There are probably a few (chances are they're more cherished than the UK N/As). Alternatively, import one from Japan. ;)

johnp wrote:On the other hand,because of rareity,perhaps even the poor ones are going up in value?Personally I've now lost interest.

I wouldn't say it's a car not worth buying. Just that it's overpriced and would need work by the prospective new owner. But if you're after an SC... well keep an eye on it in case the seller drops some money off the ad.

Ollie, I think Kate was being sarcastic. ;) (As in, quite a few of us have saved worse than that!)
Also, my red one had small bubbles on the arches. It was fine, it was just poor paintwork really...
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

Yes, I was going to buy some arch repair kitss and pay for someone to weld them in professionally, along with spending some money to bring the car up to show standard (respray, further welding etc)but if Lauren reckons they are rotten through because of a few spots of rust then I might as well give up.....

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”