Crap forum software.

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Crap forum software.

Post by toxo »

michael wrote:I've tried already Mr G... deaf ears it seems.

Not entirely... it's actually underway now! 8)

I have done my best to fix any underlying problems which have been reported over the last 4+ years to smooth out forum use until then - the garage has been fully functional again for months now, for example. Yes, it's plugging holes in a sinking ship, but it provides a slight improvement in user experience while the upgrade work is done in the background.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

toxo wrote:
michael wrote:I've tried already Mr G... deaf ears it seems.

Not entirely... it's actually underway now! 8)

I have done my best to fix any underlying problems which have been reported over the last 4+ years to smooth out forum use until then - the garage has been fully functional again for months now, for example. Yes, it's plugging holes in a sinking ship, but it provides a slight improvement in user experience while the upgrade work is done in the background.

Have you thought of taking a cut of the current phpBB setup and placing it on a separate server to migrate into a vB4 installation?
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Johnny G wrote:Have you thought of taking a cut of the current phpBB setup and placing it on a separate server to migrate into a vB4 installation?

Short answer is yes - there's another vhost running off the current server for development purposes. Old phpBB migrations to vB4 are touch and go, though. It's much better at migrating from phpBB 3. There are custom alterations to our phpBB database too to support some of the less well thought out plugins/mods which don't help.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

toxo wrote:
Johnny G wrote:Have you thought of taking a cut of the current phpBB setup and placing it on a separate server to migrate into a vB4 installation?

Short answer is yes - there's another vhost running off the current server for development purposes. Old phpBB migrations to vB4 are touch and go, though. It's much better at migrating from phpBB 3. There are custom alterations to our phpBB database too to support some of the less well thought out plugins/mods which don't help.

Have you disabled all plugins on the host system prior to a migration?
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Given that I honestly couldn't give a c**p about computers, what the hell does Vbulletin make in terms of difference? To the average user who will be logging on, making a few posts, checkign events etc..
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Tiamat wrote:Given that I honestly couldn't give a c**p about computers, what the hell does Vbulletin make in terms of difference? To the average user who will be logging on, making a few posts, checkign events etc..

It's a bit more robust, will be more efficient and allow IMOC to build it's site on a single platform, rather than bolting bits and pieces to an ageing platform that's not as well supported.

There are more features to vBulletin as well, it's more configurable, the search is a lot better (especially when Google integrated), the SPAM control can be made very good, different visual themes for users to choose their layouts/colour schemes/fonts, better WSYWIG message editor, embedding of media into pages direct from sources, e.g. YouTube, finer permissions based control.

I'll come back with more later.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Tiamat wrote:Given that I honestly couldn't give a c**p about computers, what the hell does Vbulletin make in terms of difference? To the average user who will be logging on, making a few posts, checkign events etc..

From your point of view, the forum layout will be a little bit different, but that's about it. Behind the scenes it is a totally different animal. The upshot for end user experience is that it will actually be supported, so we'll get regular and timely security updates (read: stop getting hacked and spammed) and a wider range of supported 3rd party plugins. It will also make it a lot easier to update (and expand) the parts of the IMOC site that aren't contained within the forum.

I'm not personally a fan of vbulletin from an end-user point of view. Two Brutal updated to vb4 recently and the site is almost unuseable on my 1.5yr old netbook... It's much nicer to admin and creates less hassle behind the scenes than our current setup though.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

VB is the fugliest piece of form software I've ever seen in my entire life. It's awful to navigate on either a proper computer but even worse on something mobile, and there's actually forums out there I avoid visiting regularly simply because they use VB.

/2p
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

toxo wrote:
I'm not personally a fan of vbulletin from an end-user point of view. Two Brutal updated to vb4 recently and the site is almost unuseable on my 1.5yr old netbook... It's much nicer to admin and creates less hassle behind the scenes than our current setup though.

Bypassing the CMS makes it easier - but the current CSS on there isn't ideal and the graphics are quite large, which makes it again, less than ideal.

ekona wrote:VB is the fugliest piece of form software I've ever seen in my entire life. It's awful to navigate on either a proper computer but even worse on something mobile, and there's actually forums out there I avoid visiting regularly simply because they use VB.
/2p

It's all down to how the admin make it look. With enough work, IMOC could look virtually indistinguishable from an end user perspective, but as Toxo said, it'll be much better supported, a lot more secure and very current with releases.

Also, I have no problem navigating on an old Dell D630 with 1Gb :)
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

you couild double my membership for vB.

this is the only site i use that isnt using it, and i trawled across the tinterweb to find a uk site for mr2's using vB but only sites i could find were american :(

its taken me a while to gety used to the new vB4 as i was quite a big fan of the 3.1

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
MR John

Post by MR John »

That's a little outta line if i do say so...., So it's ok just leave them with crap because it work's?

How about actually making the forum better for the members that pay i may add, That statement just seem's there's no "Let's make it better for our members" Type of thing,

Also how about it surely must make life easier for admins aswell so a little work doing it all would benifit everyone surely! :thumleft:

Just my thought's after all no members no club :wink:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

MR John wrote:

That's a little outta line if i do say so...., So it's ok just leave them with crap because it work's?

How about actually making the forum better for the members that pay i may add, That statement just seem's there's no "Let's make it better for our members" Type of thing,

Also how about it surely must make life easier for admins aswell so a little work doing it all would benifit everyone surely! :thumleft:

I think you may have taken that the wrong way... Malc was just asking what difference the end user would see with phpBB vs vBulletin. At the end of the day they're both forums, and how different can 2 forums really be?
MR John

Post by MR John »

toxo wrote:
MR John wrote:

I think you may have taken that the wrong way... Malc was just asking what difference the end user would see with phpBB vs vBulletin. At the end of the day they're both forums, and how different can 2 forums really be?

I think i have done mate, But in all honesty to anyone who reads that i'm sure thats the way it'd be read,

Well if that's the case mate why would they update them if there was no benifit for all people invollved :D.

Mind my spelling sometimes i get typing too quick or it's me been dumb :P
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

MR John wrote:

Out of line why? My question was as it is typed, to the average user what difference would it make? I know very little about computers and happy to keep it that way, it was a straight forward question from someone not involved in the technical side of things.

It was a valid question as well, people are tossing around various named hosting programmes, but at the end of the day to the vast majority of the users, if its not going to make a vast difference then don't fix what aint broke.

Its all very well having lots and lots o ffancy extras, but there is also the question of whether they are going ot get used. Yes I like to think IMOC can offer more and give the Premium Members more value for money, but knowing what the differences are is a start!

Oh and your view is its crap, but I have no problems with the Forum in its current format.
MR John

Post by MR John »

Out of line is this simple fact here > Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

I find it hard to see your point when your a mod your supposed to along with the admin make this forum the best it can possibly be :) That's why!.

Your just leaving it in the dark age's even my old forum in 2007/8 was more updated than this :O!

Time's move along simple, Your attitude as a mod is not a correct one IMO!

I dont care for computers etc well you'd bloody better start tbh as a club with no members isnt a club is it ;). Just seem's so layed back about it all!

IMO, :thumleft:

Iv'e had a rant now i'd expect that attitude of a member not a piece of the staff! :roll:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

MR John wrote:Out of line is this simple fact here > Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

I find it hard to see your point when your a mod your supposed to along with the admin make this forum the best it can possibly be :) That's why!.

Your just leaving it in the dark age's even my old forum in 2007/8 was more updated than this :O!

I dont care for computers etc well you'd bloody better start tbh as a club with no members isnt a club is it ;). Just seem's so layed back about it all!

Iv'e had a rant now i'd expect that attitude of a member not a piece of the staff! :roll:

You don't get it. All I asked was what the difference would make to the average user. Thats not being out of line its called gathering information. I am not a IT person, never have been, never will be, what I asked was a valid question so I could find out what the fuss was about.

You have just been incredibly narrow minded and insulting!

Especially when you have been on here just over a month. I have been a member since 2003 and pulled my weight with the club on many occassions, alot more goes into the club than just the Forum you know.
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

What's with the bickering? :roll:
On my feelings,I feel as though the forum does need 'modernising' even if it's not broke it may provide more enjoyment for current members and non members,bring more people to the forum from other mr2 sites and jap sites and cpuld even increase your revenue from this paying off the software over time. The admin should consider whatever has been said by 'their' members without complete disregarding a shout from the public or they'll be just as bad as our government :thumleft: don't moan at what i've said either...it is my point of view...thanks
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

One of the best forums I've been on lately was created by phpBB which was the 350z forum. They also have live chat which is good :)
MR John

Post by MR John »

Tiamat wrote:
MR John wrote:Out of line is this simple fact here > Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

You don't get it. All I asked was what the difference would make to the average user. Thats not being out of line its called gathering information. I am not a IT person, never have been, never will be, what I asked was a valid question so I could find out what the fuss was about.

You have just been incredibly narrow minded and insulting!

Especially when you have been on here just over a month. I have been a member since 2003 and pulled my weight with the club on many occassions, alot more goes into the club than just the Forum you know.

No point having a snap at me i'm not staff ;).

Been on here under a month give's me less right than anyone else? :?

As said it needs updating, you got a black and white telly that works perfectly fine but would you update to a colour HD probably that's the way of life thing's need updating your missing security also on the whole scheme of things,

IMO it needs updating that is all :thumleft:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

MR John wrote:
No point having a snap at me i'm not staff ;).

Been on here under a month give's me less right than anyone else? :?

As said it needs updating, you got a black and white telly that works perfectly fine but would you update to a colour HD probably that's the way of life thing's need updating your missing security also on the whole scheme of things,

IMO it needs updating that is all :thumleft:

I am not staff either, I am a volunteer.

I apologise for some of last post, the fact you been on here a month is irrelevant, I know how that read and it read badly. Membership length is irrelevant, but you do sometimes need to look beyond what is on the forum

But to come on here and tell me that I am no good as a Mod because I have no real interest in computers was extremely rude and basically wrong. alot of our Mods etc are not computer people, we got Navy members, accounts people, teachers, social workers. We love the cars and contribute as best we can.

Doesn't mean we all need to know how to programme the site.

I get you point about the telly, but thats why I asked about the differences in the Forum and what the benefit would be.

To use your analogy, if you haven't got a blu-ray player or HD channels then no point in having HD TV as you don't see the benefit. I was trying to find out what the benefits would be to the average user.

I am a fan of the "if it 'aint broke don't fix it" school you see.

Return to “Club News and Announcements”