5 Grand mk1 on ebay!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mulaz

5 Grand mk1 on ebay!

Post by mulaz »

Found this newly listed mk1 on ebay with a buy it now of £4995!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1986-TOYOTA-MR2-R ... 4cf05186db

i think the prices for the little toyota have been at rock bottom so we must speculate that one day they must rise so is this a sign?
Last edited by mulaz on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Re: 5 Grand mk1 on ebay!

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Hmm, it looks very tidy but I didnt think the write up was great.. And saying that it has never had any arch work or welding, that would actually put me off buying at such a high price. Find it hard to believe that it would have no rust or rot whatsoever on a 1986 MK1. No doubt they will command a higher price eventually when they get ultra rare, but at the minute I think that is overpriced in my opinion.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

It is very shiney. Polishing a car must double its price in Norn'Irn.

If it had the original wheels I would find it more attractive.
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

aw11rally wrote:It is very shiney. Polishing a car must double its price in Norn'Irn.

Getting my bottle of T-cut out this weekend O:)
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

D4N_V_U wrote:Hmm, it looks very tidy but I didnt think the write up was great.. And saying that it has never had any arch work or welding, that would actually put me off buying at such a high price. Find it hard to believe that it would have no rust or rot whatsoever on a 1986 MK1. No doubt they will command a higher price eventually when they get ultra rare, but at the minute I think that is overpriced in my opinion.

Mine's an 89 and it still has mint original arches. Even if you get up close and look on the inner lip mine look good. Mine is still going strong on the 2nd exhaust. i.e. the previous exhaust was the one that it left the factory with.

I bought it in 1994 so I know it hasn't had any corrosion rework anywhere.

So cars like this do exist. However, the one on ebay looks like someone has chavved up the wheels and the cam covers. Also other parts of the engine bay look like the owner has been to the halfords aftermarket parts dept.

It's not worth £5k but it might fetch £3k if the rest of it is as described.
Last edited by JMR_AW11 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

aw11rally wrote:It is very shiney. Polishing a car must double its price in Norn'Irn.

I think that right there is why it's that price. IIRC, Mk1s are more pricey in Ireland than here.

I agree it'd be nice to see the Mk1 more valuable. However, they need to gradually increase to that price. I think this one will probably sell for half the buy it now price at most sadly.
nedward

Post by nedward »

Hate to be picky, but why are the decals missing on the front wings leading edges and the rear wings trailing edges on both sides?
It would seem it has had some paint work done in its life. Still its very tidy.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

nedward wrote:Hate to be picky, but why are the decals missing on the front wings leading edges and the rear wings trailing edges on both sides?
It would seem it has had some paint work done in its life.

Well noticed. And when the seller is asking for that price, no problem with being very picky in my opinion!
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

monkeymax wrote:
I think that right there is why it's that price. IIRC, Mk1s are more pricey in Ireland than here.

In this case it is north of the border so I dont think the value would be any higher there than on the UK mainland.
The wheels also put me off.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

He says he has the originals as well. Assuming it is as described and has indeed been in dry storage a while, well I'd rather have something that's been run I think. Anyway, nice car but poor write up for supposedly an enthusiast.

R.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

The fist thing I look at in any good mk1 as a sign if the wings have been worked on ie replaced, filled etc, is the missing stripes is a dead give away

That car HAS had the arches done. FACT [-(

So the seller is either full of **** or does not know a been about the car [-X

IMO
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1725414.htm

This one I believe is the one I saw at my first JAE, JAE 2007. Completely rebuilt. Everything replaced. The wheels are minging IMO but this is a stunner.
sloopeh

Post by sloopeh »

in my opinion you should never buy a car when the advert is written solely in caps...
jimi

Post by jimi »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1725414.htm

This one I believe is the one I saw at my first JAE, JAE 2007. Completely rebuilt. Everything replaced. The wheels are minging IMO but this is a stunner.

That ads been withdrawn !
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Someone has bid £4k for it. That must be an iffy bid surely (shilly?) :lol:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

maybe they are trying it on. or blind and gullable.
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

sloopeh wrote:in my opinion you should never buy a car when the advert is written solely in caps...
or one with bad grammar & poor spelling.
ulysess1966

NI

Post by ulysess1966 »

I live in NI and I've seen several nice MK1s for sale over the last year or so at about £2000.

Makes me wonder what my '88 SC might be worth :)
Fab4MR2

Post by Fab4MR2 »

Well, the write up for the ebay ad certainly could have been better, as many have suggested. And yeah, I don't care much when people use all caps either. Tends to make me think they are pushing too hard.

Nice looking car though. If all is as claimed I can see them asking that much, but it is definitely a lot for your guy's area. Car's of that supposed quality are starting to sell in that range in the US though. They definitely should have shown more pics of the inside, as one angle is hardly enough. They had more than was needed of the outside. Also, having a full size spare in the frunk was a bit tacky wasn't it. You guys did get space savers didn't you?

As for the lack of stripes in the places mentioned, take another look. They also removed all of the stripes along the top outside edges of the body, which is exactly what I have done on mine. I much prefer it without those stripes, and have also contemplated removing the same lower ones that they did. But they certainly should have used more than what looks like cellphone quality pics to show it off. Some people really are lazy, which doesn't bode well in representing a car like that.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Fab4MR2 wrote:Well, the write up for the ebay ad certainly could have been better, as many have suggested. And yeah, I don't care much when people use all caps either. Tends to make me think they are pushing too hard.

Nice looking car though. If all is as claimed I can see them asking that much, but it is definitely a lot for your guy's area. Car's of that supposed quality are starting to sell in that range in the US though. They definitely should have shown more pics of the inside, as one angle is hardly enough. They had more than was needed of the outside. Also, having a full size spare in the frunk was a bit tacky wasn't it. You guys did get space savers didn't you?

As for the lack of stripes in the places mentioned, take another look. They also removed all of the stripes along the top outside edges of the body, which is exactly what I have done on mine. I much prefer it without those stripes, and have also contemplated removing the same lower ones that they did. But they certainly should have used more than what looks like cellphone quality pics to show it off. Some people really are lazy, which doesn't bode well in representing a car like that.

Space saver was NOT standard on UK cars, A full size wheel Is standard,
As for the stips along the top of the wings doors etc that I think your meaning they were NOT standard and I have only seen a couple of UK cars with them

Where they are missing from his car is classic arch replacement areas and as these bits (trim, lines) are No longer available from MrT that is most probably why they are missing, I have looked at several cars all claiming to have NO arch work done, All of them had some if not all arch trim lines missing ALL had arches replaced, filled , bodged etc .
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”