[Mk2] [Turbo] fitting front struts

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gumbo_gts

[Mk2] [Turbo] fitting front struts

Post by gumbo_gts »

just been reading another post and suddenly thought i messed up when i did it as i think a put the spring seat with the word 'out' on facing the rear of the car would this have any affect

can i just double check that the spring seat marked with 'out' on it should face outside of the vehicle

and the suspension support the piece with the 4 bolts on in it , and has bit cut out of ,, should face the rear of the car

cheers my head hurts thinking about this
dan1

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] fitting front struts

Post by dan1 »

Hi, I have just re-fitted my suspension. Indeed the spring top plate should be facing out where marked i lined this up with the outer facing bolts at the bottom of the strut b4 fitting. The top mount recessed edge should be facing the rear of the car mate. However i have no idea if or what any difference having the spring plate not facing out would be, cant really see that it would matter which way it faces :-k
Ian Geary

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] fitting front struts

Post by Ian Geary »

isn't the top plate sloped though?

if it was in wrong, the top of the spring wouldn't be parallel with the bottom of the spring...

still, it should be easy enought to rotate round, although it might be a 2 person job, as you'd have to push the hub down quite hard to get enough clearance for the top mount bolts.

Ian

Return to “Mechanical”