Some good advice needed ??!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GaryS22

Some good advice needed ??!!

Post by GaryS22 »

Hi all,

I will start off saying hi :D as im a newbie to the MR2 world. The name is Gary, 22yr old from Aberdeen. I sold my evo6 gsr back in April and am missing the turbo life to much and I have always fancied an MR2.

I went to Yorkshire on Sunday to see a 95 MR2 rev3. My concern was that I dont know much about turbo cars and cant get an RAC inspection as its an import car, is there some guidelines and common faults I need to look out for on these cars??

I have been told this car used to be a forum members car, it left Aberdeen 1 year ago and now lives in West Yorkshire. Does anyone know it? Whats your opinions on the mods done to it, sensible, the car can handle it fine etc?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1811188.htm
REG: M714 CTR

I used a personal checklist, but no compression tests or anything. I have been told that the previous owner was Xxxx MIRZA, I see on here there is mixed feelings on this guy!! The car drove like an absolute dream and could not find any faults really, steering was a bit off-centred but I guess a wheel alignment should sort that plus it has some different tyres on it.
The big but for me is the fact it has no paperwork at all apart from all the MOT's, alarm book and V5, no docs or receipts to back up the parts/maintenance.

I paid no deposit or anything though, but do pretty like it just unsure what to do?!

Anyone else selling up with some nice mods, i would prefer 95 upwards unless in great condition like no rust and not high miles.

Cheers :thumleft:
Gary
nikaiyo

Re: Some good advice needed ??!!

Post by nikaiyo »

I cant claim to know that car personally, but it has either been for sale off & on for ages or 3-4 people have owned it in the last 18 months.

Why are there no documents with the car? If its a private seller it speaks volumes about how they care for stuff... Maybe no V5 to hide the fact it has had numerous owners?

Wont get into the whole Shaid thing, its your money, your risk.

If you can live with a VS kit, this looks like a really nice car
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1841071.htm.
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

Hi Gary,

I Will keep this short and sweet, do not buy from him. He is a con man and a liar. I bought my car from him and the amount of trouble and problems that have been unearthed are unreal.

PM me if you want more details. You are even welcome to come and see some of the mans not so handy work on my car if you like as I'm in Aberdeen too.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

I have seen this car a few times before, looked nice on the road but i can't comment on it's condition internally either then or now i'm afraid, welcome to the site though :wink:
Yas

Post by Yas »

Hey mate, if you want it inspected The AA should be able to sort this for you. I sold a GT4 just over a year ago and the buyer had AA come round, they had no problem with it being an import.
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
GaryS22

Post by GaryS22 »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, always nice :D

Just from these couple posts this car sounds like its going to be trouble and past experience. That amount of owners in such a short time also screams stay clear. Was a nice looking car, just a shame on the paperwork front.

Ill just keep hunting now I think and get a well cared for MR2 turbo.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Have you checked out the for sale section on here mate? There are some nice cars for sale at the mo...

I know Rossydiamond is selling a nice Tubby :thumleft:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

nikaiyo wrote:Have you checked out the for sale section on here mate? There are some nice cars for sale at the mo...

I was just about to say the same thing. Seems a good time to be buying a nice turbo.
GaryS22

Post by GaryS22 »

nikaiyo wrote:Have you checked out the for sale section on here mate? There are some nice cars for sale at the mo...

Excuse the newbie, but does the mr2 lingo "tubby" mean #-o !!
GaryS22

Post by GaryS22 »

Either of you guys have a link for his car, cant seem to find his thread :S !!

Cheers
GaryS22

Post by GaryS22 »

easty-5 wrote:Hi Gary,

I Will keep this short and sweet, do not buy from him. He is a con man and a liar. I bought my car from him and the amount of trouble and problems that have been unearthed are unreal.

PM me if you want more details. You are even welcome to come and see some of the mans not so handy work on my car if you like as I'm in Aberdeen too.
hey mate, thanks mate, sorry to hear about your troubles though, im hoping to find a good 2 some time soon!! Many meets about Aberdeen then?
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

What sort of budget do you have??
GaryS22

Post by GaryS22 »

dazzz wrote:What sort of budget do you have??

I would say my budget is around £4k -/+ so im hoping for a good one at that money I hope
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

GaryS22 wrote:

Sorry dude Tubby= Turbo

I dont think Ross's car is advertised yet as such, but he texted me thisafternoon PM him for info http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/profile.ph ... ile&u=8372

Can you stretch to £5k....
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=136184
GaryS22

Post by GaryS22 »

nikaiyo wrote:
GaryS22 wrote:

Sorry dude Tubby= Turbo

I dont think Ross's car is advertised yet as such, but he texted me thisafternoon PM him for info http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/profile.ph ... ile&u=8372

Can you stretch to £5k....
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=136184

Not really liking the colour (personal taste) smashing looking/engine on it tho, GLWTS for him :D
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

Hi there

my in laws are in Aberdeen - its hell of a drive from the South East, and even North England is a good few hours away, which must be limiting your options quite a bit.

my car is up for £1.7k, but if I was going to keep it long term I'd probably want to fit a refurb'd gearbox (£500) some mid range coilovers (£600) and get the dent sorted (£500) as well as the worst gravel rash sorted (£500)

Adding all this up would take the price to £3.8k, at which point it would be pretty well sorted.

It depends how handy you are with spanners, but I wouldn't rule out some cheaper turbo's as there's a good community to help sort out some of the age related problems.

Doing a bit of DIY is also a good way to get familiar with a new car too.

this might look a bit self motivated on my part, but I seriously doubt the OP will fancy a 10 hour drive to view my car, and driving it to Aberdeen is just to damn expensive!

Ian
greeny

Post by greeny »

Cant see the pistonheads ad, as it just goes to the classifieds page?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

basic pistonhead adverts expire after a month or so, so I guess that is the default home page

Ian

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”