Passed my MOT!! Required "some" welding...(pic heavy)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Passed my MOT!! Required "some" welding...(pic heavy)

Post by ashley »

Took my NA for MOT on tuesday and it failed... :oops:

- Drivers side sill rust
- Emissions

OK- the CAT was basically a straight through tube- so no huge surprise I guess, although wouldve been nice if it had gone through anyway...I struggled to find a replacement CAT anywhere on short notice, but thanks to the Rogue (Rouge? :clown: ) family a second hand CAT with a full core, but rusted out flange arrived the next day: thanks guys :thumleft:

I welded on a new flange and figured that was the emissions sorted.

The sill however....the MOT tester said it was bubbled, so he poked it and put his finger through it lol. It came back looking like this:

So a bit of wire brush action exposed the true extent of the external tin worm problem:

I figured I needed to unpick the spot welds along the lower seem, and cut a straight line down the sill to weld in a patch- so a bit of cutting action:

And we find the cause of the issues- at some point the rear arch was smashed in allowing water into the sill. As you can see at this point I discover the true extent of the rot on the rear arch:

So to the repairs....first an old datsun sill we had in stock was slightly ammended to make the outer sill plate:

And a new inner plate to replace the rusty arch- this was a bit more complicated to make:

Luckily I've got access to a spot welder (makes things soooo much easier), so we spotted in a drop plate:

Then used this to hold in the new arch patch:

Which spotted in to look like this:

At this point my battery died on me....but basically I etch primed the inside of the sill. Then spotted the outer plate in along the lower sill (as per factory spec :mrgreen:), then seam welded the upper and side joins into the existing sill.

Smoothed it all out, little bit of filler...then some decent sealer on the inside of the arch and a flash of primer:

Yes- still needs proper smoothing in and painting up- it ain't perfect, but given this is a fully track orientated car- it doesn't need to be! And best of all- my local MOT tester passed it \:D/

Happy days!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: Passed my MOT!! Required "some" welding...(pic heavy)

Post by Martin F »

Nice work mate, saved yourself a small fortune there, luv welding myself, as long as it stays burn free that is :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yeah- welding is fun except when there is zinc involved! I was very pleased with this one- it's one of the first pieces of body repair I've done like this, all under instruction...so lots learnt!

Next one is to improve my spraying now 8)
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

ive seen quite a few mr2s like this!!!!
Had both inner and outer sills replaced along with any signs of rust removed on my 2 as welll
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yep mk2's seem to have rusting sills as a problem area, my passenger side is going. Been fixed once but I think it needs ripped out and started again.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yeh- tbh the other side is starting to go as well- no where near as bad though- probably get away with just repairing the outer sill on that one.

Then I'm gonna waxoyl the hell out of the bottom of the car, including squirting it into the sills.

I did find out how much a replacement bit of sill was from Mr T..... :shock:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

70odd quid but that's only the centre bit, the bit you needed is I think classed as rear quarter panel
ashley

Post by ashley »

Correct I think- I was just amazed- 27 inches of sill for £££ :shock:
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

Yup i know mate :)
8balls

Post by 8balls »

Hi,

Yeps, thats where they go first. I had my car re-painted this year and it required about 80 hours of welding - basically everything was re-done under rear bumper, rear arches, everything below both doors, switched both doors etc. I thought it is smarter to invest more and get rid of all the rust at once. :) Cost me about 2000£, both welding and a flawless fresh coat of paint.

Ofcourse I had to drive to known welding guru in the back forests of one former ex-com-block country the get the quality and price. :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”