[Mk2] [Turbo] which induction kit?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dansREV2turbo

[Mk2] [Turbo] which induction kit?

Post by dansREV2turbo »

does anyone know what is the best induction kit to have that removes the 'goose honk' i get with the apexi and stock bov recirculated?

i must be getting old, my ssqv is really starting to annoy me ](*,)

thanks.
dan.
ADRIAN-S

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] which induction kit?

Post by ADRIAN-S »

I would personally say the arc induction kit is the best, but can be costly and hard to find. I think there was a thread on here recently saying, according to some tests the cheap induction filters seem to get as good results as the big brand named ones.
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

ARC box(copy I had it made) with HKS air filter for an RX7 that's what I have used have an apexi my self, there is a thread on here which has talk of getting some one to copy the ARC box & possible A group buy :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

ARC Box will not remove the goose honk entirely. I have one on my car with the stock valve recirculating and still get some honking from time to time.
grant_day

Post by grant_day »

I had a blitz dump valve to get rid of it, but then got annoyed with how loud it was so put the standard bov back on, :oldtongue: love the goose \:D/
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

hmmm, looks like it it might have to be an arc box then if it dampens the noise a bit compared to the apexi, this 'copy of the arc box' thread sounds interesting too, ill have a search.

ive even considered fitting a standard airbox back on to get round the noise, i wonder if a stock airbox with uprated panel filter would be level pegging performance wise to, say, the apexi cone?

its also crossed my mind weather it would help if the inlet (from the bov) on the induction tube doubled back on itself ,so inside it pointed toward the turbo rather than being at 90 degrees :-k

thanks for your input guys , any views on the above? :thumleft:
Mike

Post by Mike »

I've got an HKS Induction kit on my rev 2. I dont get the "goose honk" people refer too, more like a muted "psssht". On cold mornings when the car is still getting up to temps I get a noise similar to compressor surge.
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

thanks mike :thumleft:

if you dont get it, i wonder if its anything to do with the entry point of the bov to induction pipe as on the rev2 it is past the bend nearer the turbo rather than right by the filter on rev3+ :-k
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The honk is a 'feature' of the stock recirc valve. The standard airbox has a resonator box to eliminate the noise.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Bone

Post by Bone »

Keep the apexi and get the recirculating attachment for the ssqv :thumleft:
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

that i realise, but what im thinking is, if mike doesnt get it with his open filter then maybe the position of entry point could help playing a part in muting it.
ie, the air gets sucked into the turbo rather than escape the other end making the noise..?
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

bone, have thought about this too but the car seems more responsive with the stock bov (unless its in my head :lol: )
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Apexi all the way. Best sounding, performing, and maintenance free kit out there. Well worth the extra cost as you will spend the difference in cleaning kits for the filters on the others :wink:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The only bad thing about the apexi kit is that 'maintenance free' doesn't mean what it says. You still have to clean them (but not oil them) and a replacement element is nearly the same price as the induction kit!!

Here's mine after 2 years, with a new element next to it. They've redesigned them (from 'super intake' to 'power intake') but the old one was red once too!

IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
MR-Deuce

Post by MR-Deuce »

Just looking at getting a filter for my tubby - can you just wash the Apexi ones then, if you're to clean (but not oil) them?

Also - have seen copies of the Arc boxes mentioned...is anyone still producing these?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I dunno wtf you're supposed to do to clean the Apexi element - clearly mine had never been done :D

Someone was talking about producing copies of an ARC box recently but I can't remember where I saw it last. There are genuine ones knocking around though, oddshoes bought one recently.

Return to “Modifications”