Mr2 Mk1.5 vs Audi RS4

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

matt_mr2t

Re: Mr2 Mk1.5 vs Audi RS4

Post by matt_mr2t »

Isnt your 2 quite powerful though?

Ollie has already said roughly what power and weight his car is, and the power to weight was almost identical to the RS4.

Tbh, I can well believe he kept in touch with it. They are big cars, I imagine quite scary to drive at high speed in busy area's.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

rhamps wrote:No offence but i do test driving and did tests on RS4 against evo 8 and porsche boxster s etc and the audi handled so well it was the best by far on a wet handling track.

So RS4 was twitching and you just caught up with it?????????

It must have been really broken (crap car) and crap driver (as proved when he went onto hard shoulder) but still the audi should still have no problem leaving you for dust round corners and on straighs.

:thumleft:

No offence taken at all. I can understand anyone being sceptical about a little Mk1 being quicker than such a beast of a car..
The 'twitching' could have been down to the very poor road surface of the corner part of the sliproad, possibly his traction control was kicking in.
As mentioned I waited until the road was straight before accelerating, the RS4 was a fair few car lengths in front at this point (and accelerating hard) but by the end of the slip road I was able to reel him and and had caught him enough to get on my brakes.

I dont think for a minute the car was broken, crap driver perhaps yes. The moment he cut in front of me you could see it was a quick car.

No offence to you, you may have test driven every production car under the sun but have you have driven a Mk1 with 250+ BHP? It's a serious piece of kit and should not be under estimated :thumleft:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:

No offence to you, you may have test driven every production car under the sun but have you have driven a Mk1 with 250+ BHP? It's a serious piece of kit and should not be under estimated :thumleft:

Indeed, not hard to match the RS4's 246hp/tonne in a Mk1.5!
rhamps

Post by rhamps »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:

No offence taken and no thats true i havnt i was just saying it from my experience. :thumleft: :thumleft:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

I can well believe this Ollie, amazing how many cars you can upset with the little 1.5s :thumleft:

My daily drive is a 343hp E46 M3, would love to drive them at once as i bet it wouldnt be far behind that, and mine is only running .6bar

/must get that sorted!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

No offence to you, you may have test driven every production car under the sun but have you have driven a Mk1 with 250+ BHP? It's a serious piece of kit and should not be under estimated

Amen brother :thumleft:

How about a Mk1 WITH an RS4 motor? :lol:
aw11rally

996 turbo cab

Post by aw11rally »

I had my first real challenger whilst driving my Mk1.5 in north wales recently.

My 1.5 runs 1bar on a ct20 turbo and st205 chargecooler.

I was minding my own business driving through a 30 when two bikes screamed past and a porsche 996 cab pulled up just short of my bumper then dropped back some distance. Nearing the end of the 30 limit on a twisty uphill section the 996 again screamed up behind me whilst stradling the centre of the road. Unfortunately for him I had dropped it to second and was waiting for him to make a move. He pulled out to shoot past but I nailed it, took the next two corners with a bit of full power drift ( the gf wasn't too happy with that but didn't know what was going on as she hadn't spotted the 996 behind). I then backed off and looked in the mirror. To my amazement I saw nothing (apart from a bit of smoke, the old girl runs a little rich at 1bar). Next thing the 996 came flying up behind and again dropped back. After a few quick bends we caught up some traffic. I let the 996 past at which point I spotted the intakes in the rear quarters, it was a turbo! I pulled out behind him and followed past the two cars that were slowing us down. At this point I couldn't close the gap (about 4 car lengths) but he wasn't dissapearing into the distance as I had expected although his eyes were glued to his mirrors, I think I gave him a shock. We were fast but sensible for a few more miles until we caught up another few cars, he spotted a straight and gunned it, so did I, I was amazed, seriously shocked but very very very pleased to find that a 996 turbo could not pull away from my mk1.5 on full chat. He was even braking for bends that I was taking flat. Eventually he got pi$$ed off and went a bit mental overtaking at rather silly places where there was no chance I was going to chase him, especially with the GF in the car with me.

So for those who doubt the little mk1.5 I recomend they try a well sorted one. I'd guess mine puts out over 200bhp at the wheels but it is still very easy to drive, even in the wet if you have fast reactions. I never expected to get anywhere near a 996 turbo, but to keep up I was seriously chuffed. My smile lasted the next 50miles, I doubt he felt the same.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

That 996 guy must have been pretty shocked when he didn't leave you for dust :lol: Although I am surprised that a 996 turbo couldn't pull away.

A mk1.5 must make for an ideal sleeper car, lol.

Does anyone have any 1/4 mile times on their mk1.5s yet? What about timed 0-60mph runs? (G-tech or performance box figures will do)

Also did anyone do a before and after conversion weighing using a weighbridge? How heavy is a mk1.5?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

250kg lighter than a Mk2 turbo :thumleft:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

My 1.5 runs a 13.1 standing quarter mile at 104MPH, I am hoping to improve on that though, I dont think I've got the best out of her yet. I should have a private day up at the Pod soon so can get a lot of runs in...
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: 996 turbo cab

Post by Charged »

aw11rally wrote:So for those who doubt the little mk1.5 I recomend they try a well sorted one. I'd guess mine puts out over 200bhp at the wheels but it is still very easy to drive, even in the wet if you have fast reactions. I never expected to get anywhere near a 996 turbo, but to keep up I was seriously chuffed. My smile lasted the next 50miles, I doubt he felt the same.

Nice write up there bud and I'm glad to see someone else driving their 1.5 how it should be!
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Kongaroo wrote:That 996 guy must have been pretty shocked when he didn't leave you for dust :lol: Although I am surprised that a 996 turbo couldn't pull away.

I was very suprised. In my little write up I was trying to be careful and not just say....WOW MY MK1.5 IS FASTER THAN A 996 TURBO.... because Porsche in my opinion make great cars and the 996 Turbo is seriously seriously fast. I was just trying to highlight how fast a decent mk1.5 is.

If we were on a straighter road or a motorway I wouldn't have stood a chance but on the A/B roads of North Wales at between 30 and 60ish (the speedo doesn't actually work) the MR2 did itself proud. I was flat in 2nd 3rd and 4th and the Porsche didn't get away until he started taking stupid risks.

I am looking forward to a stand alone ECU with better fuel and boost control then I might be able to reel him in.

I can but wish.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I was very suprised. In my little write up I was trying to be careful and not just say....WOW MY MK1.5 IS FASTER THAN A 996 TURBO.... because Porsche in my opinion make great cars and the 996 Turbo is seriously seriously fast. I was just trying to highlight how fast a decent mk1.5 is.

Good to hear it coming from others, i've been banging the 1.5 drum for years about how quick they are but it's always seen as sales pitch, great to see them being used in anger :thumleft:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

aw11rally wrote:I was very suprised. In my little write up I was trying to be careful and not just say....WOW MY MK1.5 IS FASTER THAN A 996 TURBO.... because Porsche in my opinion make great cars and the 996 Turbo is seriously seriously fast. I was just trying to highlight how fast a decent mk1.5 is.

If we were on a straighter road or a motorway I wouldn't have stood a chance but on the A/B roads of North Wales at between 30 and 60ish (the speedo doesn't actually work) the MR2 did itself proud. I was flat in 2nd 3rd and 4th and the Porsche didn't get away until he started taking stupid risks.

I am looking forward to a stand alone ECU with better fuel and boost control then I might be able to reel him in.

I can but wish.

Don't worry my comment didn't mean I didn't believe you - I've seen for myself how well my tubby fares against some expensive machinery so I am under no illusions as to how fast turbocharged MR2s can be.

If anything I generally enjoy reading about the 'giant killing' modified cars in this section although I'm surprised none of the usual people have popped in to cry BS yet :lol:

So would I be correct in saying the Mk1.5s are about 1050kgs to 1100 in weight then? I'm just curious how much weight the turbo swap adds.

I know my own tin top tubby when it was standard and with all the optional extras like aircon, P/S, ABS, TRC, spare tyre, full tank was a little over 1300kg (T-bar would be heavier of course). It's now down to 1260kg with a full tank but I'll never remove the aircon or sound deadening so after my final few pending weight saving mods I think I will be stuck at a minimum weight of about 1250kg with a full tank.

I bet a Mk1.5 with a GT28rs or a GT3071 would have an awesome power band coupled with a truly formidable power to weight ratio - somebody give it a go :mrgreen:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
I've been banging the 1.5 drum for years about how quick they are but it's always seen as sales pitch, great to see them being used in anger :thumleft:

It is also my daily drive :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Cool, i used one as a daily driver for 2 years and it was perfectly civilized but with the ability to upset some pretty big machinery, always made me smile keeping on the tail of the odd 911 :D
shie

Mr2 Mk1.5 vs Audi RS4

Post by shie »

hi guys apology for this. im new here. shie from carso ca. well i own audi rs4 for me it is one of the coolest. i did not compare it to others since this was my first car. but i was thinking to buy another one on my birthday. i dont know if Mr2 Mk1.5 is good. can anyone advice me regarding Mr2 Mk1.5? thanks a lot! :)

IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Kongaroo wrote:
So would I be correct in saying the Mk1.5s are about 1050kgs to 1100 in weight then? I'm just curious how much weight the turbo swap adds.

1050kgs is what a t-bar weighs. 1030kg for a MK1a (the lightest MK1).

An SC with t-bars is 1185kg IIRC (so no lightweight!). My old SC conversion based on a sunroof MK1b was 1010kg though that was stripped out.

Not sure on the weight of a MK1.5 but would have to guess it's at least as heavy as an SC.

So, they aren't really that light.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Lauren wrote:
Kongaroo wrote:

1050kgs is what a t-bar weighs. 1030kg for a MK1a (the lightest MK1).

An SC with t-bars is 1185kg IIRC (so no lightweight!). My old SC conversion based on a sunroof MK1b was 1010kg though that was stripped out.

Not sure on the weight of a MK1.5 but would have to guess it's at least as heavy as an SC.

So, they aren't really that light.

Cheers for the info. Lauren (nice to get a definitive answer albeit a year later, lol).

The SC is surprisingly heavy!

My tubby is at SBITS for engine work so I'm playing with a BBR turbo Mx5 at the moment. Quite nippy but could do with another 100 horsepower :lol:

The BBR mx5 weighs just 985kg according to the original manufacturer brochure so it makes you wonder where all the extra weight comes from for the Mk1 SC.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I'd put it on a weighbridge as that weight is likely to be dry, ie no fluids.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “Driving Experiences”