knocking/clunking noise from front of car (Not Droplinks)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grendel

knocking/clunking noise from front of car (Not Droplinks)

Post by Grendel »

Well it was the first day out for a reasonably longish drive today following shoulder surgery in April. It was a sort of pain and pleasure feeling with my shoulder hurting like hell but really enjoying the Mk1 with the roof off.

Anyhow the problem I seem to have is that before the car was laid up it had a slight clunk noise from the front which was checked by 2 separate mechanics who say it has nothing to do with the drop links so I’m wandering if I have something loose with the steering rack or suspension?

The car handles as it should and there’s no vibration coming up from steering wheel but if you turn the wheel when stationary or at speed or cornering the front starts clunking and rattling?

Any ideas since I can’t work on the car myself at present due to the shoulder so would need it looked at by someone else and it would be good if they had a rough idea of what to look for?
IanClements

Re: knocking/clunking noise from front of car (Not Droplinks)

Post by IanClements »

Could be loads of things but an easy thing to check is the shock absorber nut that can be seen through the top mounts. One of mine came loose and caused a persistant rattle.

Totally with you on heavy MK1 steering and weak shoulders, you don't realise how much you use them before you have an op. If you can drive though, you should be able to check these.
Neil Turbo

Post by Neil Turbo »

Possibly the top mount / bearing?
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Also check the ARB mounts, they can go to.
MartG

Post by MartG »

It may sound daft, but make sure there isn't anything rattling around loose in the frunk :-k
Neil Turbo

Post by Neil Turbo »

A good point Mart, but the problem is also occurring when the car's stationary.

Could also be the steering UJ giving up the ghost?
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Well bit of an update. Haven’t done much driving for obvious reasons so couldnt really reply before.

The clucking noise is less in wet weather but I can feel it when it clunks when I pull away from being parker but don’t feel it through the steering when on the move?

So I’m guessing it is something to do with steering rack or connexions to wheels since it knocks when going over bumps as well if the steering it turned?

Have replaced ARB bushes a while back so I know it’s not that either.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

So is it just making the clunk when you pull away? If so check your brake pad clips are present and sitting inside the pad.... just a suggestion but this could be one of many things.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

The biggest cluck that you feel through the steering wheel is when you pull away after the car has been parked for a while. But the clucking still happens when you turn the wheel in corners while moving.

But saying about the break pads they do always stick if I don’t go for a drive after washing the wheels?
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Well just been out for a short trip up the road and it's noisy and clunking more in hot weather and you can feel it through the steering wheel more now. But also clunks going over bumps so I presume it could be steering rods linkage?
Cattwooduk

Post by Cattwooduk »

Might be too obvious, but I had something similar which turned out to be one of the anti-roll bar brackets on the front had rusted through in the centre and the bar was moving about a bit too freely over bumps and around corners... £3 for a new one and an easy swap over :)
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

If its not drop links - then balljoints and steering arm end balljoints would be next on my list.

I did have a rattle from the steering rack on my old Mk1 - I got a new steering arm drumstick to fit ( the drumstick joint had a little free play on the old rack ) but never got around to it as it never got bad enough to replace.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Well the clunk is getting louder and think I’ve worked it out to be something on the steering column although what I’m not sure. Just hope it’s not UJ's since Mr T is asking ££££££ for replacements. Steering is still tight with no free play yet it still clunks at slow speed and quick turns?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Could you run the car round to my place on Saturday Ian and I'll give it a look over.

The UJ is a pricey bit to replace unfortunately. They just happen to be directly under the clutch master cylinder, so if it leaks the fluid lands on the UJ and dissolves all the rubber in it. #-o
MartG

Post by MartG »

If you need a spare steering column ( or part of one ), let me know as I've a couple of spares in my garage
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Thanks Chris & MartG

Hopefully it's something trivial like a loose fitting since you can feel the clunks through the steering wheel but there in no free play or unusual movement from the steering column?
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

BIG THANK YOU! to Chris for taking a look at it.

And it's the Fecking Drop links AGAIN!

Thats 3 sets of aftermarked drops links the car has been through in 5 years. At this rate it would of been cheaper to of just bought the Original Toyota ones ](*,)
whittylad8

Clunking Noise

Post by whittylad8 »

Arrrrgh

I have a major Clunking noise from the front of my MK2....

I have also been told by a few mechanics that it isn't serious... Don't worry about it....

However....

It is sounding louder and louder....

I am new into the midlands.. and basically don't have a mechanic i can trust.... I want it fixing cos it is rather embarrassing pulling up anywhere and people looking at '' what the hell is that noise?''

Again it is when i turn the steering wheel either way... I have had a look at the TOP mounts and one of the nuts (on the driver's side) has coroded. SO me thinks it is TOP mounts. BUt reading this topic it appears one has had the same fault only it to be Drop links?

Arrrgh
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Best thing to do is to get someone to move the steering wheel and make it clunk while you squeeze your hand in and feel around on the suspension strut. The intensity of the clunk you feel will get stronger as you get closer to the component that's clunking. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”