seatbelt is stuck!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tobstar

seatbelt is stuck!

Post by tobstar »

I got in the car this morning and the seatbelt was stuck. Even a mighty tug failed to get any movement!

Anyone got any advice on this? I don't fancy taking it to a garage.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Re: seatbelt is stuck!

Post by oukie »

Where are you based ?
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Have you tried moving the car, sometimes the belts stick if the car is at a slight angle. I find if mine is leaning to the left, i.e. left is ower than right, then my seatbelt has issues with being put on!
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
widster

Post by widster »

Never done this myself but can't you dismantle it to see why it's stuck? As i say, not sure how easy this job is as i've never had it happen although my seatbelt does temporarily 'stick' for a bit but then frees up. May have this to do in future so would be interested to know. :)
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

widster wrote:Never done this myself but can't you dismantle it to see why it's stuck? As i say, not sure how easy this job is as i've never had it happen although my seatbelt does temporarily 'stick' for a bit but then frees up. May have this to do in future so would be interested to know. :)

wouldn't recomend that you dismantle a seatbelt mech, the first time you know it won't really work in anger is when you kiss the windscreen
probably best just to replace the stuck belt with a good working one
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

I've dismantled mine and rebuilt them, they are quite simple in the MK1, no explosive charges or anything, just reset the weight and the arm and they worked fine, including doing emergency stops.
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

Mine is not stuck but I wonder if anyone can help with a seatbelt issue. It may also help anyone else coming across this thread in a web search in the future. I had to fold the carpet up behind the seat recently to have the floor welded, so I had to take the seat out and undo the bolts on the bottom belt fixing and the fastener/release clip.

It was only when I put the carpet back that I noticed that the top bolt on the belt hanger over my shoulder was hardly in, I could see loads of bare thread, no idea how long it had been like that. Could have been really serious in an accident as it would have just come straight out.

I tightened it right back up, but now the hanger doesn't freely rotate, so if I don't position it correctly the belt drags in the hanger, this puts enough friction on the belt to stop the weak return spring/mech pulling the belt back into the reel.

Should I slacken the bolt off slightly or do I need a belt with a stronger return spring?
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Clarky_X wrote:Mine is not stuck but I wonder if anyone can help with a seatbelt issue. It may also help anyone else coming across this thread in a web search in the future. I had to fold the carpet up behind the seat recently to have the floor welded, so I had to take the seat out and undo the bolts on the bottom belt fixing and the fastener/release clip.

It was only when I put the carpet back that I noticed that the top bolt on the belt hanger over my shoulder was hardly in, I could see loads of bare thread, no idea how long it had been like that. Could have been really serious in an accident as it would have just come straight out.

I tightened it right back up, but now the hanger doesn't freely rotate, so if I don't position it correctly the belt drags in the hanger, this puts enough friction on the belt to stop the weak return spring/mech pulling the belt back into the reel.

Should I slacken the bolt off slightly or do I need a belt with a stronger return spring?

The return spring just affects the belt, not the angle of the top mount. I;d just loosen the bolt a mere fraction so you have a tiny bit of play in it so it moves. Then monitor it, make sure its staying put. Should be no thread visible but so the top mount moves

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”