MOT advisory - rear ball joints

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

widster

MOT advisory - rear ball joints

Post by widster »

My car recently passed it's MOT but there was an advisory that stated 'slight play in both rear lower ball joints'.

Can anyone advise me whether this problem is likely to get worse quickly, i.e. should i get it sorted for next MOT? Also, how does it affect the handling of the car, how easy is it to do the work myself and how much will it cost for parts, and labour if i get my local mechanic to do?

Thanks for any advice. :thumleft:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: MOT advisory - rear ball joints

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I'd change them personally, it's not too expensive for the parts IIRC, last set I bought was $105 (£50 at the time) for all 4. You could probably pick up both for £20-30 from an autofactors.

Removing them isn't too bad, once you've jacked the car up and removed the wheels it's 3 bolts to remove the ball joint. You'll need a ball joint splitter to get the old one off which can be a real mare to do. :evil:

Should be covered in reasonable detail in the Haynes book of lies if you have one.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Ball joint splitter or very big hammer :thumleft:

It is a very easy job to do though yourself.
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

Last one I bought cheap from an autofactors wasn't quite right and I had to use some extra washers. It was quite a job to get the old one out - lots of hammering. To be honest I wish I had left it at the MOT station to be fixed as it was all the car need to pass and by the time I fixed it myself and took it back for re-test it failed on something else and has been driven since!
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

I got all 4 from TCB parts and did the fronts myself and it was really easy (and I am useless with spanners). I only had the back ones put on by someone else because they were doing a load of welding for the MOT so it was cheap to get them to do a few bits while the car was in.
widster

Post by widster »

Thanks for all the advice. I'll put it on my list of things to do. May purchase that balljoint splitter first though. :thumleft:
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

widster wrote:Thanks for all the advice. I'll put it on my list of things to do. May purchase that balljoint splitter first though. :thumleft:
I really wouldn't bother with a ball joint splitter.
I broke one (the screw and lever type), and the "tuning fork" style one didn't work either. What did work was hitting it with a ruddy great hammer a couple of times, having firmly supported the arm around the ball joint. Hit the threaded top "pole" of the ball joint after removing the castle nut, squarely and sharply (and not that hard Tbh) and they pop right out.
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

I got a two and three leg puller as I thought it would be more versatile for more jobs. I used it to get the track rod end off the steering knuckle but don't remember using it to do the lower ball joint on the front, but I think I was taking the wheel hub off anyway. The puller was tricky on the knuckle tho as it kept slipping off, a splitter may have been a better fit. Anyway, I just used the haynes manual and my mate handy andy when I got stuck.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”